Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadow Priest help - what the heck is going on?

First off, armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Paradigmatic

I'm posting on my girlfriend's behalf because she has just pretty much given up on what to do. Our ranged DPS class lead has told her to gem for haste/spell power/spirit (yeah, I'm not joking) and lower her hit until it's at 11% (Which I'm not sure about, I don't know the hit cap on S. Priests.).

Is there any help that you all can give as to increase her DPS? She is pulling 2.9k single target DPS, and yet the lead is expecting her to pull at least 5k. She was at the Ony fight and he said to aim for 5k. Is that a realistic goal? I really don't think there's any way in hell she can pull 5k DPS as an S. Priest in the gear she's in even if she /does/ decrease her hit.

In case you're wondering, the lead is a Warlock. Does he know what he's talking about or am I right and he's a complete idiot?

Re: Shadow Priest help - what the heck is going on?

5k DPS is realistic. Gems should be all spellpower unless a bonus is +7 SP or more, in which case SP/Spirit, or SP/Crit is better.

Read the stickies, visit Shadowpriest.com, etc.

Edit: Alliance can full well get away with 10% hit, unless you somehow have no Draenei in your raids. The cap for spells is 17%, misery accounts for 3%, talents are 3% and a Draenei gives another 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    5k DPS is realistic. Gems should be all spellpower unless a bonus is +7 SP or more, in which case SP/Spirit, or SP/Crit is better.
    The gem advice here isn't 100% correct, follow the gem advice at the top of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Read the stickies, visit Shadowpriest.com, etc.
    I think its quite evident you haven't done this yet, I bet you haven't analysed any combat logs either or even bothered to break down a target dummy recount parse. Doing this is mentioned in the sticky I wrote.

I normally don't bother analysing peoples gear for these threads, the gear analysis is rather self explanatory if you bother to read the stickies and visit shadowpriest.com. In this case the gear isn't awful but you have far too much hit, a spriest hit cap is 11% as explained above which is 289 hit rating. With ToGC gear or ilvl 232/245 you can expect to possibly be well over the hit cap due to the vast amounts of hit on gear. However at the gear level you are currently at there is really no excuse for being so far over, it's wasted itemisation.

Never gem for haste, there are only really 3 gems worth considering, those being Purified Dreadstone, Runed Cardinal Ruby & Potent Ametrine. Use them per the link i provided earlier for gem advice.

Talent build is fine, I dare say due to the complexity of shadow dps that your rotation is far from ideal, you can only really check this via combat logs analysis. Basically your MB should be cast every 7.2 seconds, dots need to be up 95% of the time and you should get a MF tick every 1.5 seconds... if you don't achieve these numbers it means your rotation isn't as effecient as it could be.

Thats plenty to do, if you can reach those numbers, fix your gear, and actually research spriest dps and you're still performing badly then you can actually post some specific information and ask specific questions instead of giving such a broad pointless topic to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by cell88989

Is there any help that you all can give as to increase her DPS? She is pulling 2.9k single target DPS, and yet the lead is expecting her to pull at least 5k. She was at the Ony fight and he said to aim for 5k. Is that a realistic goal? I really don't think there's any way in hell she can pull 5k DPS as an S. Priest in the gear she's in even if she /does/ decrease her hit.
    Was that 5k including AOE? Because if she was AOEing and not doing 5k there is something wrong. If she is dpsing Onyxia the whole time and doing 2.9k then its a matter of 'fixing' up the rotation.

Shadowpriests are 'harder' than other classes except ferals to master, it might take her a while to learn how to play properly with one, but if she keeps at it, reads stickies, and esspecially shadowpriest.com she should improve
    Priest - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Weenalol
    Druid - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Weenah
    DK - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei%27Thos&n=Weenalol

15+ Year Old Account

Hit cap for shadow btw is around 290. The wonderful thing about shadow priests is that they get two talents that add hit instead of just one. This allows much more flexibility with other stats.

Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    The gem advice here isn't 100% correct, follow the gem advice at the top of this thread.

I think its quite evident you haven't done this yet, I bet you haven't analysed any combat logs either or even bothered to break down a target dummy recount parse. Doing this is mentioned in the sticky I wrote.

I normally don't bother analysing peoples gear for these threads, the gear analysis is rather self explanatory if you bother to read the stickies and visit shadowpriest.com. In this case the gear isn't awful but you have far too much hit, a spriest hit cap is 11% as explained above which is 289 hit rating. With ToGC gear or ilvl 232/245 you can expect to possibly be well over the hit cap due to the vast amounts of hit on gear. However at the gear level you are currently at there is really no excuse for being so far over, it's wasted itemisation.

Never gem for haste, there are only really 3 gems worth considering, those being Purified Dreadstone, Runed Cardinal Ruby & Potent Ametrine. Use them per the link i provided earlier for gem advice.

Talent build is fine, I dare say due to the complexity of shadow dps that your rotation is far from ideal, you can only really check this via combat logs analysis. Basically your MB should be cast every 7.2 seconds, dots need to be up 95% of the time and you should get a MF tick every 1.5 seconds... if you don't achieve these numbers it means your rotation isn't as effecient as it could be.

Thats plenty to do, if you can reach those numbers, fix your gear, and actually research spriest dps and you're still performing badly then you can actually post some specific information and ask specific questions instead of giving such a broad pointless topic to discuss.
    Critizing me only shows that you didn't read the original post. It's not me, it's her. But I appreciate the constructive criticism. However, the attacks weren't necessary. Grow up. I didn't post specifics because I'm posting on her behalf, I don't know shit about Priests, nor do I claim to. Your personal attacks are useless.

Was that 5k including AOE? Because if she was AOEing and not doing 5k there is something wrong. If she is dpsing Onyxia the whole time and doing 2.9k then its a matter of 'fixing' up the rotation.

Shadowpriests are 'harder' than other classes except ferals to master, it might take her a while to learn how to play properly with one, but if she keeps at it, reads stickies, and esspecially shadowpriest.com she should improve
    It wasn't AOE. She said she can pull 5k on AOE damage, but she was forced to stay on Ony the whole time. The guy didn't assign her to whelps which has left me confused and made me wonder if he actually had a clue.

I'm going to have her look into the general rotation, as she's using facemelter and not getting an actual hard rotation. I didn't know about shadowpriest.com, because again I'm not the Priest here. I appreciate the feedback, and the trolls are funny because they're wasted energy.

I didn't see any insults in what you quoted. I understand that it's difficult sometimes to take criticism, especially when the subject in question is your significant other, but try not to read between the lines. The 'attacks' were legitimate concerns that could be what's giving her trouble. Overreacting makes you appear to be trolling, so if your girlfriend is having a problem it'd be better to detach your personal feelings from any criticism.

You implied that she's using a macro as well, so one thing can be assured: She could gain more DPS by learning a proper rotation. Those macros will allow a horrible player to be mediocre, but they'll also cause a very skilled player to be mediocre. Check out some Shadow resources, there is a lot more information there then you'll ever get explained properly in a forum response.

Quote Originally Posted by cell88989
    The guy didn't assign her to whelps which has left me confused and made me wonder if he actually had a clue.
    Going to have to correct this im afraid.
    Ranged need to go on Ony to take her down and get to Phase 3 asap if your wasting time padding the meters on the whelps it could take longer to get to P3 i would reccomend only going on whelps if they are out of control otherwise down that bitch

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...inels&n=Prolar

(yes you may lawl at my off-hand. DX)

Tell her to only aim for 11% hit because you get 6% from talents. I always go for 11% just beacuse I like to be hit capped without any help from a dranei. Hit raiting cap will be easy enough to get with just the stats on gear. Almost always will you want to gem for +23 sp. It provides the biggest amount of a dps increase over all gems (depedning on the socket bonus of course. Example: my Gloves.). Crit is also better than haste most of the time. Having 10%+ haste is very nice and having lots of crit helps you get over that 5k dps mark.

Every gem she has on her gear should probably be either pure spell power or SP and Spirit. You need to have the 2 blue gems just too keep your meta so socket accordingly. Also I don't know what her rotation is but it should be from the start: Vamp Embrace, Vamp Touch, Devouring plague, MB, SW: D, MF MF...so on and so forth. You want to have your dots up 100% of the time during the fight as well.

some addons you may like to look at (in depth):

ShadowGreenLight

recast SWP when advantageous (and there are times when it is advantageous to do so)

Quartz LatencyMF2 (this is an add on module for Quartz)

clip off the third Mind Flay tick to cast MB if it comes off cooldown before the end of a Flay.

EventHorizon (only if you like it and if you do edit out the SWD timer)

Guitar Hero: Shadowpriest

if you don't use EventHorizon understand this: to have near 100% uptime on your hardest hitting DOT (VT) you should be casting it 1.4ish secs before the dot ends because it has a 1.5 sec cast time (thats roughly ofc and assuming no Haste for the sake of putting over the concept clearly)

don't gem for haste, (the Warlock is talking out his ass here and is probably Destro)
    only used SWD on the move,
    dont take gear with MP5 on it,
    try allow your DOTs their last tick,
    use a Potion of Wild Magic during heroism,
    use the Shadowfiend for burst and/or use it often,
    don't use /castsequence /castrandom macros (the only one that was any good at all doesn't work since they recently changed castrandom to kill those kind of macros off anyway)

consider dropping the hit to 288-290 (11% the Warlock is correct here) by replacing some of the gear you have with some of the 226 item level and higher crafted peices and obtain the orbs necessary via heroics and raids.

try and collect nice Crit pieces and hover around 20% Crit baseline. when you get into later gear you will have Haste coming out your ears but Crit will be thin on the ground.

hit the dummys and practice, practice, practice.

this is all aimed at your GF ofc rather than you the OP :P
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit

>.>

hehe ;D well it is :P
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Wait what?

EventHorizon:

i should probably mention that i don't actually use it and prefer ClassTimer, Quartz and manual timing atm tbh tho i keep meaning to give it a serious try out.

gee thx Brox...

First off, you should be grinding hodir rep like a mofo to get the proper shoulder enchant.

Second, I'm seeing a lot of purples, but not a lot of GOOD purples. These days half the reason Shadow Priests go for the tiered stuff is because of the gem sockets and the high spell power. Pretty much, Spell Power is GOD for Shadow Priests, and if you can inch out another 46 from 2 gems slots, that is what you should be working toward. The only reason your ranged dps leader is telling you to go for spirit... is because in the end it works out to more spell power, lol.

There are some very good patterns you should be looking into as well, the best being Sash of Ancient Power, though it's been a while since I've dropped tailoring, there might be something better. That belt gives you 2 sockets naturally, and an extra for even more spell power.

Your spec is fine, if you know how to use it.

Your main priority should be mind blast, since it deals the most damage in the least amount of time. This means that even before re-casting dots, mind blast should be cast first, always. If you've gotten into the habit of casting VT and THEN MB, you need to break it ASAP. Mind blast first, above anything else and as soon as it comes off the cool down. A good mod to help you with this is called Ghost: Pulse, which basically flashes when your longer cool downs have finished.

Also, people may argue this, but I like to also throw a Shadow Word Death on top of Mind Blast, if the situation is ripe for it. That means that all your dots are still going strong and won't wear out any time soon. In raid, because of your high crit, you have the potential of doing a ton of damage in a very short amount of time.

In the end, it may just come down to the annoying factor of being a shadow priest. Our biggest problem, these days, is that in order for us to compete, we have to be on the ball 100% of the time, all the time, and not stop for anything EVAR. If we miss even ONE mind blast within our rotation, we suddenly see ourselves fall in the meters. We're not a face roll class... In some ways it's nice... in others... it's awful.

I'd suggest practising on a dummy, not just with keeping your rotation rolling, but also seeing just at how fluid you can be with how fast you get your mind blasts off, how you keep your dots rolling, etc. There really should be NO down time, unless you're waiting like... .5 seconds to cast your mind blast before a dot...

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    Your main priority should be mind blast, since it deals the most damage in the least amount of time. This means that even before re-casting dots, mind blast should be cast first, always. If you've gotten into the habit of casting VT and THEN MB, you need to break it ASAP. Mind blast first, above anything else and as soon as it comes off the cool down. A good mod to help you with this is called Ghost: Pulse, which basically flashes when your longer cool downs have finished.

Also, people may argue this, but I like to also throw a Shadow Word Death on top of Mind Blast, if the situation is ripe for it. That means that all your dots are still going strong and won't wear out any time soon. In raid, because of your high crit, you have the potential of doing a ton of damage in a very short amount of time.
    Uh. Wait. Both, Devouring Plague and VT do more damage for the GCD spent than MB.
    (30 seconds, VT will do about 45k damage for 2 GCDs spent. You can fit in 6 MB's each for average about 6,5k. My math tells mit 6*6.5k is 39k. So i use less GCD's and do more damage with VT.)
    So 1st maximise your DoT uptime, and then use MB on cooldown.
    SW:d is pointless to cast unless while moving or having exactly one GCD free until refreshing Dots/MB cooldown.
    Our biggest problem, these days, is that in order for us to compete, we have to be on the ball 100% of the time, all the time, and not stop for anything EVAR.
    In an equally skilled raid, we have no chance to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen
    In an equally skilled raid, we have no chance to compete.
    i beat a mage once

i lie

Quote Originally Posted by Weena
    i beat a mage once

i lie
    I beat a mage, when MF was bugged.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

10+ Year Old Account

its ok guys, they are just trying to get you all to reroll warlocks =P

but on a serious note, as someone who doesn't even play a S priest, you all need some blizz love :'(

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Deaths
    its ok guys, they are just trying to get you all to reroll warlocks =P

but on a serious note, as someone who doesn't even play a S priest, you all need some blizz love :'(
    We dont.

Effort =/= love
    :
    Ceko@Al'Akir-EU
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&cn=Ceko&gn=Voivodite

[blizzquote author=Blizzard staff]Furthermore, it's not like there is much skill involved to that rotation ("GC SEZ RETS R FACEROLLERZ"). You hit the buttons and damage happens. [/blizzquote]