Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Addons For a Addon-less Healer

Hello! My main is a Balance Druid, but I did manage to level a Priest as well. She is Discipline/Shadow, but this pertains to the healy part.
    I run with relatively few addons, just the essentials like Decursive and Outfitter as I'm typically only dps, but I've found this isn't cutting it when I'm healing raids on my priest. As Discipline I don't have to worry about AoE heals too much, but just targeting raid members can be a pain with the tiny Group tabs Blizz gives us.
    So, any good healing addons for someone who's never used one before? I've heard of Grid and Healbot and such, but I don't know the nuances between them, like is one better for one class/spec than the other? Something that would let me bubble someone with a click of the mouse would be nice, I think Healbot does that? Thanks!

Re: Addons For a Addon-less Healer

I played a resto druid and a resto shaman and I used X-perl for my unitframes. I never used grid or healbot so I cant really vouch for them.

Of course after I post this I will think of more addons that would be useful -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi
    Hello! My main is a Balance Druid, but I did manage to level a Priest as well. She is Discipline/Shadow, but this pertains to the healy part.
    I run with relatively few addons, just the essentials like Decursive and Outfitter as I'm typically only dps, but I've found this isn't cutting it when I'm healing raids on my priest. As Discipline I don't have to worry about AoE heals too much, but just targeting raid members can be a pain with the tiny Group tabs Blizz gives us.
    So, any good healing addons for someone who's never used one before? I've heard of Grid and Healbot and such, but I don't know the nuances between them, like is one better for one class/spec than the other? Something that would let me bubble someone with a click of the mouse would be nice, I think Healbot does that? Thanks!
    Your best bet for unit frames will be either (a) Healbot or (b) Grid and Clique. Either solution will provide what you're looking for, allowing you 1-click shielding, decursing, and other simplified casting, while letting you monitor the 'need-to-know' things like present buffs and debuffs. Personally I use Grid and Clique, preferring them for what I consider to be a cleaner presentation, but both are excellent.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

I find BunchOfBars to be very nice. Its not too clustered, and ppl who need heals are very easy to spot

I am in no way, shape or form an amazing healer but I have a disc priest as an alt and I figure I'd post what I use and found helped me alot when I switched over to it.

Mouse over macros with Grid

#showtooltip Flash Heal
    /cast [target=mouseover, exists] Flash Heal; Flash Heal

So what this does is if I have a mouse over (have my cursor over The Tank on grid) it will toss a flash heal, if I dont have a mouse over but I have a target (im running from fire and I need to bubble the tank and he's my target) then it will bubble him.

I have These for my main spells, Flash, Penance, Bubble, Mending and Renew. Another nice thing with these macro's is that it doesn't matter on your current target as long as you have a mouse over target so in raids I would normally keep my main or off tank as my target and if he/she isn't taking damage I can keep an eye on grid and just toss mouse over heals or bubbles to others that need it.

I've been healing with my priest for almost 2 years, at first I didn't used any addons at all and tbh my healing was good. But it's true that some addons are really helpful, not in your healing abilities but in how fast u can responde healing in "oh shit" situations.
    In my personal experience I've tried Grid and Xperl, and I really didn't liked the layout of grid so I went for xperl. Xperl it's highly costume, u can set to see the curable diseases and dispelable spells for ex., u can set the range so u can control LOS at all times, and a lot more things that u can change to have a better visual of thigs (like changing the colour of hp bars etc etc). I also use omen to keep track of aggro, not that i don't trust my tanks but u can see the dps's that maybe could overaggro anf get hitted, so I can throw a Renew and a shield just in case.

Grid absolutely can not be stressed enough. You need a way to accurately see your group, important buffs, etc.

Some good general mods:
    Dominos - Bar mod.
    Prat - Chat box mod.
    Quartz - Cast Bar mod.
    ClassTimers - Timers for all your class... stuff.

In relation to Grid, if you're not comfortable with mouseover macros, you should look into Click2Cast.

Raidframes:
    Healbot and Grid are probably the most popular picks around these days.
    I personally use Pitbull as I can configure it to pretty much anything I want to, and do so with any frame in one addon.

But as long as your addon can be set up with a debuff view+highlights, range indicators, aggro indicators and visual healing hints to see who is being healed, you're pretty much set. Bonus if it can also easily tell you who is missing your priest buffs.

Buttonframes:
    Bartender4. Since you're a priest with 871236817263 different heals, you need to spread out your keys in a sensible manner. Bartender does the job and is very easy to configure as you want it.

Buff/Proc notifier:
    Powerauras is awesome. I use that addon to convey a lot of information in a easy-to-see manner.

Healing communication:
    I use CastYeller2 to tell the other healers who I am ressing, when I am casting hymn of hope and to whisper the tank/healer channel that I used GS (and on who). Nothing that a macro cannot do, I just found this addon easier. And more fun, as I can vary the messages a lot. Tanks grow bored of "GS on you". Give them something new every time!

--

Also: Mouseover macros are awesome; saves a few milliseconds in reaction time. Heartily recommended.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I've sworn by Grid + Clique for almost 2 years now. IMO, it's infinitely better than any setup of Healbot.
    Another good one for any raider to have is PowerAuras. It lets you keep track of any procs or temporary buffs/debuffs you or your target (or anyone you want, really).

Grid + any barmod which u can bind with.

Omen and dbm for raiders.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

real men heal with no addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground
    real men heal with no addons.
    Real men cry manly tears.

No seriously, healing without addons is damned annoying. I have heard stories of healers healing people through clicking their avatars in the 3d world window. How they are able to keep track of the health of the raid in that fashion I cannot fathom. The blizzard default UI has two major flaws. The health bars are too small, and will ruin your eyesight if you squint on them long enough. And the raid health bars are microscopic. Neither window help you track important debuffs, neither window helps you track who is pulling aggro. Neither window helps you who is being healed. Neither window tells you who is in healing range. And don't even try to see where your ProM is jumping.

In short, the default blizzard UI is a disaster for healers. We want something structured, where it is easy to see who is hurt, and easy to target them to heal them fast. Grid is the best iteration produced by the combined effort of wow players in 5 years of trying. I don't use grid. I use pitbull. But my pitbull raidframes have a striking similarity to that of grid. Minus the silly dots (real men want REAL indicators!) , and plus a few manabars. But the grid UI is pretty damned awesome. You point. You click and you press your heal. All info you need is neatly contained within a 5x5 array in a corner of your screen.

And after enough training, you skip the "click" step, use a mouseover macro, and just point and heal. It's damned effective.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I use grid, clique, and I can't recall its name, but an add on to track prayer of mending is also helpful.

i use X-perl since the moment i started raiding, tried all the other stuff (grid/healbot/agunitframes/pitbull etc) but always came back to xperl. And for thesame reason Júlie stated. grid just doesnt scale that well on my screen i spose.

Anyway i have a question about this mouse over healing macro. Do i have to click on the unitframe i want to heal in order to get the heal off, or do i need to have my cursor over the unitframe and simple press 1 or 2 or what ever number the heal is on, without clicking the unitframe?

And does this only work with grid or does it also work on X-perl.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Júlie
    ..... I also use omen to keep track of aggro, not that i don't trust my tanks but u can see the dps's that maybe could overaggro anf get hitted, so I can throw a Renew and a shield just in case.
    If your dps can't control their own aggro just let them die. They'll learn soon enough to pay attention to Omen on their own.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskillalot
    Anyway i have a question about this mouse over healing macro. Do i have to click on the unitframe i want to heal in order to get the heal off, or do i need to have my cursor over the unitframe and simple press 1 or 2 or what ever number the heal is on, without clicking the unitframe?

And does this only work with grid or does it also work on X-perl.

Cheers
    That's exactly how it works, just hover over what you want to heal with your mouse and press the button. And it works with everything, not just Grid, you can even hover over a players character to heal them.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

cheers on the fast reply, will try it as soon as im done with workwork.

Also read/figured out you can do it with dispelling and that it might beat decursive

Quote Originally Posted by Tricki
    I am in no way, shape or form an amazing healer but I have a disc priest as an alt and I figure I'd post what I use and found helped me alot when I switched over to it.

Mouse over macros with Grid

#showtooltip Flash Heal
    /cast [target=mouseover, exists] Flash Heal; Flash Heal

So what this does is if I have a mouse over (have my cursor over The Tank on grid) it will toss a flash heal, if I dont have a mouse over but I have a target (im running from fire and I need to bubble the tank and he's my target) then it will bubble him.

I have These for my main spells, Flash, Penance, Bubble, Mending and Renew. Another nice thing with these macro's is that it doesn't matter on your current target as long as you have a mouse over target so in raids I would normally keep my main or off tank as my target and if he/she isn't taking damage I can keep an eye on grid and just toss mouse over heals or bubbles to others that need it.
    You bubble with Flash Heal?

I used to use healbot alot, but I ended up switching to Vuhdo after trying that and grid+clique. I really like the easy of set up and adjusting that can be done with Vuhdo.

Bunch of Bars for the information it gives. No other add-ons needed. Ever.