Moonkin spec for anub heroic (25)

Hi,

Our guild tried Anub'arak heroic 25 for the first time today, and we were told all to spec for maximum AE damage. So I quickly came up with a spec that I thought would be ok for this:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc....00000000000000

We weren't very successful unfortunately because we failed to reach P3 in the 3 short hours we had (with about 30 tries left and 6 tries couldn't be utilized).
    I was wondering what the optimal spec for this fight would be, hence this topic, because I didn't like the above build at all. To my surprise however I was still top 3 dps in most of the tries (where the adds were kept close enough together to be all hit by the AE).

Some thoughts I had :

- nice AE output from hurricane, I was basically spamming it most of the time in P1
    - having 0/3 eclipse hurt my feelings when there was only 1 target to dps. Should I spec less in genesis perhaps to get at least 2/3 in it?
    - Some tries were really draining my mana very fast, although I never went completely oom as we wiped on our best tries before reaching P3. Maybe intensity 3/3 is not enough (dreamstate?) or maybe I shouldn't be spamming hurricane without a clearcast proc. I think the latter would solve most of the issue. I have about 40% crit raid buffed (as shown in the character tab) with MF idol up so single target nukes tend to regen my mana.
    - Shouldn't I drop nature's reach altogether to get nature's grace 3/3 (I wasn't happy with the uptime) and maybe something in Imp IS or eclipse. I specced nature's reach mostly for threat reduction, but threat never was a real issue except maybe on scarabs (which are uncontrollable i think)
    - Do I need (glyphed) typhoon? It would be good to nuke the scarabs down faster. What I did on scarabs was just dotting them all and popping a starfall (I replaced glyph of starfire with glyph of starfall)
    - We have a shadowpriest so Improved FF? I only casted it on Anub'arak so basically all it did was making my hurricane and wrath crit 3% more on him
    - Improved moonfire? with T9 2set I think it helped on the scarabs mostly

I'm curious to see some feedback from moonkins who have done this fight successfully. After browsing the moonkin guide thread on this forum, I should mention that, although not overpowered, we are definitely excellent dps on this fight (next to the DK, the feral, and .... surprisingly, our ele shaman..).

So, anyone has the optimal boomkin spec for this fight?

Re: Moonkin spec for anub heroic (25)

Yes, i forgot to mention our dps warriors were top also. But with only doing hurricane in the beginning I got about 10k burst dps until the first adds died, so I consider moonkins to be very good aoe dps as well. Isn't it a waste not to make use of it?

I'm sorry if this thread has already been discussed, I couldn't find it in any case.

Deleted

Keep NG at 3/3, it's a massive boost to have it up for a hurricane. I wouldn't take Genesis as it doesn't affect Hurricane, only your dots (which sort of helps for ae but probably isn't worth the points). Which means you basically end up with a somewhat normal spec except for Gale Winds and maybe a bit more mana regen than usually.

actually genesis does benefit hurricane i believe, its also a periodic damage spell, but the 5% is probably not worth it, so thx i'll just keep a normal spec with intensity then

Deleted

No, it's a channeled spell.

Deleted

Get rid of intensity talents you shouldn't have regen issues and there's ur 3 points for eclipse.
    A balance druid without eclipse is useless. Trust me.

I would definitely get eclipse back because when you do make it to p3 your dps is going to be garbage.

Yeah Genesis DOES affect Hurricane.

I wasn't sure so I tested it and I got 1195/tick with 5pts in genesis and 1136/ticks with 1 pts. (same stuff / moonkin form / no procs)

Anyway I did test a spec like yours on Anub 25 HM (without Eclipse, with intensity and max Genesis), and I did OK dps.. but I still do more with a standard spec (with Gale Wind of course).
    We have 2 unholy DKs and 2-3 FFB mage for this fight.. so the adds die quite fast. I usually do my single target rota + 2xHurricane per set of adds (with Starfall if available - if not I try to proc NG before I use it)..

We are still working on P3 and I can tell you that you need quite a bit of dps on Anub himself so having a good single target spec with powerfull enough aoe (Gale Wind) seems to be the way to go.

Glyph of Starfall + Glyph of Moonfire + Glyph of Starfire may be the best for this encounter (assuming you have 2p t9).
    With no IS glyph, you loose ~200dps on single target.. but anub hit quite hard so the 3% miss may be usefull anyway. You can also choose not to use IS (which is about the same dps as using it without the glyph).
    I think -30sec on Starfall is better for this encounter.

edit : becuz it's Starfall
    *French guy inside*
    *please forgive my poor english*

Deleted

Glyph of Meteor ???

Damnit I mean Starfall

*slap himself for being french*
    *French guy inside*
    *please forgive my poor english*

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0xRbu...uZbxcub:ruiozV

I am not yet sure about IFF vs IIS Vs 3 points in intensity. If there is a shadow priest in the raid is IFF still better than ISS especially without IS glyph (replaced by starfall glyph)

natures reach and typhoon are more options I need to go over /headaches

Spec into improved hurricane for sure, if you cant control your mana then i would take points out of improved IS and put them into mana regen talents. If your going into P3 with at least 60% of your mana you will be fine and capable to pass innervates to healers who need them the most. For the 2nd Anub burrow phase just stand and there regen mana as your waiting for him to come back up.

I tried glyph of starfall the first week we attempted Anub and i found it useless, IS still beats it.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=us.arygos.kentukyfried#inventory
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Deleted

I have not yet killed Anub heroic. We had our first good tries on Anub yesterday, and i am using the following spec: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ta...=Qieth&group=2.

We dont really need to move very many talents - i ditched imp. IS, because we realisticly dont have much time single target nuking. I was a bit heavy on the mana talents, because it bites to get caught in an unlucky stream of no OoC procs. Most of the time, though, mana was fine. Im going to let it stay like that, because theres not really anything i would benefit massively from by switching the mana talents (except maybe owlkin frenzy or such, but that seems extreme).

DPS wise i was a little below the majority of the raid, but i was on frost patch duty - so unfair We use a tactic, however, where we AOE down the first batch of adds, and then single target Anub until he burrows - we have plenty of time in P2 to get the adds down, we believe, so eclipse, imp. moonfire and normal DPS glyphs are well needed. Only glyph i have, that i dont have in my normal DPS spec, is Glyph of IS, which has been replaced with glyph of starfall, for obvious reasons.

Because of our tactic, not taking eclipse would be daft. Mana can be an issue, but if you start running low, start popping GOTW on the raid before each hurricane if you don't have Clearcasting up that is less than half the mana cost, and will usually proc OOC, but a few non-clearcasted hurricanes wont hurt us much.

Natures Reach might not be that usefull on this fight - although threat could be tight on your tanks. It depends on the setup and capabilities of the tanks, really. In any case, you will need at least one point in Natures Reach still, to get down to Tier 3.

I don't even have typhoon for this fight. I currently see no incentive for trying to get myself in position to hit all adds, and i would probably just rather stick to hurricane. Then again, i hear your point about imp. FF - it wont benefit us that much on this fight, so i suppose i could take one point from Nature's reach, and three points from imp. FF, and put them into Owlkin Frenzy and Typhoon - just in case. Owlkin Frenzy will probably help a bit on phase 3 with the constant damage from Leeching Swarm - it will help more than imp. FF will, at least.

I would still keep improved moonfire - partly because of T9, partly because theres not really anything else worth taking.

great stuff. i'm resto up till this fight so i'm gonna tinker with some of these ideas and see if it helps my throughput.. my bal gear is utter crap but dps is dps and i'll look to squeeze out as much as possible on anub to at least help out rather then stand around as a tree