tank reporting back in after some time, some advice would be nice

Hey all,
    I'm getting back into the game after not having played for almost half a year... I logged on every now and then but never payed much attention to my gear up untill now.
    I'v tryed to upgrade stuff as much as possible, epic gems, buyable gear etc...
    I could however, use some advice on how I am standing now, and what I should do, where I should go best.
    so, any tips, advice, cracking down my horrible gear, its all wanted as long as you put it down constuctive
    thanks in advance to help a brother bear out
    edit : ofc a armory link would be nice huh? : http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...yon&n=Neophron

Re: tank reporting back in after some time, some advice would be nice

Run heroics to get emblem gear. Especially the 2p t8.5.
    Trial of the Champion heroic also has some nice ups for you.

Should be good for uld if not toc by then.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Run heroics to get emblem gear. Especially the 2p t8.5.
    Trial of the Champion heroic also has some nice ups for you.

Should be good for uld if not toc by then.
    which ToC do you mean? I'v been doing the 5 man for ages now, nothing is a real eyecatcher there for me I believe?
    also, I'v tryed to look up your comment about the T8.5 but it seems you need tokens for that as well besides the badges? ( http://www.wowwiki.com/Valorous_Nightsong_Battlegear )
    thanks for helping out, I know it are nabb questions its just such a sh*tload of new things I can't wrap my head around it, and I know you guys do

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Remen
    which ToC do you mean? I'v been doing the 5 man for ages now, nothing is a real eyecatcher there for me I believe?
    also, I'v tryed to look up your comment about the T8.5 but it seems you need tokens for that as well besides the badges? ( http://www.wowwiki.com/Valorous_Nightsong_Battlegear )
    ToC 5-man heroic has extremely well itemized ilvl 219 loot. Even the regular 5-man has ilvl 200 loot that is equally well itemized. Check out The Black Heart for sure. Marrowstrike is probably an upgrade to the OoN -- despite the lack of armor (which is no longer on any feral staves), the extra agi and feral ap will be nice. The leather boots, Treads of Dismal Fortune are also nice, and would give you a boost in expertise as well as agi, plus the crit is better than haste for tanking.

With your gear, you could easily tank at least ToC 10 regular, also.

As far as the T8.5, you actually buy the token with badges, then you turn in the token like you normally would -- check out the Conqueror's Nightsong Battlegear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    ToC 5-man heroic has extremely well itemized ilvl 219 loot. Even the regular 5-man has ilvl 200 loot that is equally well itemized. Check out The Black Heart for sure. Marrowstrike is probably an upgrade to the OoN -- despite the lack of armor (which is no longer on any feral staves), the extra agi and feral ap will be nice. The leather boots, Treads of Dismal Fortune are also nice, and would give you a boost in expertise as well as agi, plus the crit is better than haste for tanking.

With your gear, you could easily tank at least ToC 10 regular, also.

As far as the T8.5, you actually buy the token with badges, then you turn in the token like you normally would -- check out the Conqueror's Nightsong Battlegear.
    thanks sunshine much apprichiated, I'v got those boots, but I thought loosing queit a bit of stamina would be bad so I chose my current ones.
    ahhh, I rechecked the site about the Tier, I see the small letters now, lol....thanks.

Also, check the emblem of conquest vendor. A lot of the non tier stuff may be ups, and you can get the emblems easily.

I highly recommend picking up some more gear before attempting to tank toc 10. It's not as easy as everyone remembers. I'm sure you could, but it would be a lot more stress on the healers than it's worth. Especially since you can run heroics and the daily heroic to easily upgrade your gear a lot.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Also, check the emblem of conquest vendor. A lot of the non tier stuff may be ups, and you can get the emblems easily.

I highly recommend picking up some more gear before attempting to tank toc 10. It's not as easy as everyone remembers. I'm sure you could, but it would be a lot more stress on the healers than it's worth. Especially since you can run heroics and the daily heroic to easily upgrade your gear a lot.
    thanks melonberry, I'll keep that in mind, tho raid buffed I am about 44 - 46 K HP and dodge about 45 % without proccings, healers not complaining, did ToC 10 two times now, but it can always be better ofc

oh and what about my glyphs? I think they are a bit outdated... :P any advice on that?
    cheers!

For glyphs, the optimal mix when the gear is also pretty much decent or above are: maul, frenzied and survival instincts. In case you plan to MT.

In your case, you need to use the growl glyph, so maybe take out the survival one out or frenzied, depends on what oh-shit-button you prefer out of the two. After you have hit over 200 or arround that ditch the growl and rever back to whatever you gave up on. You should aim for more hit fast anyway seing as your threat will probably suffer quite a bit if you don't get some asap. Depends also on what kind of dps-ers are rolling with you, but these days decent dps is available to the majority. Same thing regarding expertise.

Also check the bear sticky, you will find plenty of tips there as well.
    /hug

or you cound dump maul and get growl :P

Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus
    or you cound dump maul and get growl :P
    Absolutely not. If anything, drop FR. As a fresh bear, his/her threat will be low. If you plan on doing heroics you absolutely want that maul glyph. The ONLY time you should consider dropping it is if you're MTing a lot of 25man heroic content and you're tanking more than one thing (AKA Gormok, 1 worm, Icehowl, Jaxx, 1 Twin, and Anub). Every other tank should have the Maul Glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    Absolutely not. If anything, drop FR. As a fresh bear, his/her threat will be low. If you plan on doing heroics you absolutely want that maul glyph. The ONLY time you should consider dropping it is if you're MTing a lot of 25man heroic content and you're tanking more than one thing (AKA Gormok, 1 worm, Icehowl, Jaxx, 1 Twin, and Anub). Every other tank should have the Maul Glyph.
    Except he isn't a fresh bear (fresh bear, to me, is a bear in blues and some T7, having next to no experience). I ran ToGC10 as a bear the other day and as an idiot, I forgot to reglyph my moonkin glyphs. Missing Growl - and not just once, mind you - was about the worse thing that could happen to the raid. There's the AoE Growl of course, but considering its cooldown and the time lost on two GCDs - it just sucked. Especially since it happened on more of our tries.

Being able to fully rely on Growl is priceless. I remember wiping Naxxraids back when LK was released because my growl missed not once, not twice, but three times, as did my AoE Growl. Sure, those are unlucky moments, but being able to rely on Growl landing no matter what is amazing.

I'd NEVER trade my glyph of Frenzied Regen as well, it's just a free extra survival cooldown, again its been invaluable for me at least, also as a healer. Glyph of Survival Instincts - currently I have Maul, Frenzied Regen and Growl, but with every encounter I do, I find Maul less useful. At the time when I'd stupidly forgotten to switch glyphs, I did some heroics as well and though I was relying on a glyph I did not have (Maul) I did not have real threatissues. That said, most tanking involves singletarget tanking, making Glyph of Maul situational at best.

So if I would properly reglyph my tank, I'd go for Growl, Frenzied Regen, and Survival Instincts, and keeping Maul as a backup in my inventory in case I'd need it.

There's no real perfect glyphset, I think it's all a matter of personal preference (and healers' preferences, I suppose). All glyphs mentioned are good. But none of them are absolutely mandatory to be a proper tank (it just helps), unlike, say, DPS glyphs where not having a certain glyph will cripple your dps beyond imagination. That's also what's so cool about it, as I at least really feel as if I have a choice in what glyphs to pick, instead of *having* to go for a certain set of glyphs.

Glyph of Mangle, on the other hand, is useless really - it's a cat glyph and even for cats, who raid with bears or warriors, it's pointless.

I'm not denying the importance of the growl glyph. For a raiding tank it's very important. For a tank doing heroics and the occasional pug it's not that important. FR glyph is nice to have, but I still wouldn't say it's mandatory. As long as I'm not the guilds MT I will never replace my Maul glyph.