Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Married Team - Double Palidan's

I recently convinced my wife to start playing and was wanting to start a ret/prot pally, only class I havn't done yet. My wife is brand new and is wanting to heal and create a synergy with me as we level and reach 80 and raid etc. She too likes the idea of a holy pally.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of creating a ret & holy duo to level, then once were 80, do a prot & holy duo? Was thinking this would make getting groups easier if all we need is dps to fill spots. but really not sure, never had a pallly.

Re: Married Team - Double Palidan's

logic is simple,tank-healer combo will get u grps much easier,but then again in nowadays i think everyone is getting grps for about everything,so just play whats most fun for u,is ur wife wanna heal then holy for her it is,u decide on the long run

15+ Year Old Account

I'd say go Ret until about 30, then respec Prot - AoE leveling FTW.

Also means while leveling you have the hardest two parts of a group to find, DPS are a dime a dozen these days.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Do you think there be an issues when it comes to gear drops if shes a holy pally & I am a prot pally? Gear is different, correct?

yeah holy and prot would want totally diferent gear,only exception being rly low lvls when anything mail will fit u both,and l8er a bit anything plate still for both,but with the items of the (put random animal here),it should b easy to divide gear.

I would not suggest that anyone level as holy. From levels 1 to 60, you will find very little plate with spell power. Most will have strength or defense/stam(very little of this type). If she wants to be holy, she will find herself wearing quite a bit of cloth/leather/mail gear because those will have the intellect/spell power that she will be wanting.

These gear differences will likely cause very few loot issues between the two of you.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

speaking as a chick who has a tree healer, pally healer, priest healer and shaman healer (ugh@me) i think she might like having a tree healer slightly better over the other ones. also, i think you'd like the mana incoming from all the hots rolling on you as you're grinding out mobs. she can hurricane and you can consecrate and she can just hot you up - full mana gl to both of you, i'm sure no matter what she decides with, you guys will have fun. just remember it's always a game

Yea, we are already set up with recruit a friend. 300% xp ftw

Just was not sure how well 2 x Pallys would work together.. i know healer & tank/dps combo works great. Just am not sure how they would work when they are the same class, yet different specs. Im guessing we could both use different judgments and buffs and each other, really dunno..never had a pally. This will be a learning experience for us both.

Quote Originally Posted by yoreert
    i think she might like having a tree healer slightly better over the other ones.
    I have a druid already, so i'm very aware of how to play one. My wife is completly new to MMO's. I want to do everything in my power to make sure she enjoys it and doesn't get frustrated because its too complicated. Druids can be a little tricky to learn. From what I have heard, Holy Pally's are alot easier to play. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

*troll face on*

Whut r Palidan

*troll face off*

Seriously though, leveling with a healer is awesome, regardless of the class. I would even say switch to prot around lvl 40 and you can aoe grind and quest nonstop with heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Critters
    I have a druid already, so i'm very aware of how to play one. My wife is completly new to MMO's. I want to do everything in my power to make sure she enjoys it and doesn't get frustrated because its too complicated. Druids can be a little tricky to learn. From what I have heard, Holy Pally's are alot easier to play. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    A holy paladin is easier in the fact that they only have 2 heals (3 after talents), but a holy paladin has disadvantages. She will not be able to be holy and still do any sort of dps if she gets bored (and she will just healing while leveling). Also, any mob that interrupts/silences pretty much makes paladin healing frustrating. At least as a druid she has the option of picking up some balance for DPS, and hots are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Actually, a Healer with a Tank or DPS makes an excellent combo, one of the most efficient, since they're both gaining the same amount of XP. As for gear, the armor material doesn't matter at lower levels, and by all means, it's completely fine for a Holy Pala to use Shaman, Druid or even Priest gear while levelling.
    The idea of having a tank and healer leveling together is a good one, but it seems unnecessary unless you wish to run a number of instances along the way. If you are just going to grind mobs without doing quests, you are wasting a big chunk of your RaF bonus. It took me 3.5 days /played to get my BE pally to 80 while soloing every 3man group quest along the way and several 5man group quests. Because my BE was on its own account, I had no RaF bonus or BoA bonus.

Mind you, I was strictly powerleveling my toon through questing to reach max level as soon as possible. If you choose to experience all of the content that this game has to offer along the way, healer/tank is a great idea.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Critters
    druids can be a little tricky, however i would say druids also offer a lot more in terms of versatility than holy paladins do. don't get me wrong, my paladin is actually my favorite toon, but sometimes i just want to roll hots and read a book while i'm instancing.

i say go for it i have a holy pally and she can help dps if she wants to. during lvling you should not need to be healed to much to where she will have to heal and not dps.
    yes you could use judgement of wisdom or light and she could use judgement of wisdom or light as long as it is different from the one you are using. as fair as a holy pally and healing it is easy to heals is all she has and 3 once she gets up the lvls. gear will not be an issue between you 2 either. i say go for it and have fun although it would be so easy to lvl with both oof you guys being pallies

I have to agree, paladins are great but healing on a holy paladin is one of the most boring healing specs that there is. I have a druid, priest, shaman and paladin. I have the other 3 healing and went prot on my paladin. I have to say, the other three toons are much more fun while healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Miedo
    I have to agree, paladins are great but healing on a holy paladin is one of the most boring healing specs that there is. I have a druid, priest, shaman and paladin. I have the other 3 healing and went prot on my paladin. I have to say, the other three toons are much more fun while healing.
    A paladin is only boring if you don't know how to play it well. My guess is you started healing on a druid or priest and never made the mental switch to the pally which just operates differently. It has as many utilities as other healer classes with the exception of a solid cc ability, which makes the pally even more challenging to play in arena, because he can't just cc his way out of trouble.

I'm the tank and my husbands main is the healer , we are a married couple that we both play pallys and Tank / healer we can get in any group very easy
    Pally- Dreamstate - Shu'Halo
    Shaman- Dreamkeeper - Shu'Halo

My partner and I used to do this as well - the power couple pally team. It was pretty awesome until he stopped playing QQ.

Paladin healing is certainly the most "simple" but given that 100% of the spells are targeted (I'm not counting you, crappy HOL splash) I'd say that a priest is going to be a bit more on the forgiving side for a new player in terms of healing.

15+ Year Old Account

Tank and healer teams are great at upper levels, especially when you want to just run instances all the time.

Keep this in mind though. As a double paladin team you would probably both be leveling as ret. Why? because low level holy and prot arent that great.

I would really recommend any other healer for your wife. Paladin are simple but they are also the most limited healing class in the game. Priests druids and shaman all have very much to offer a group or raid and also have spell caster dps specs which will use similar gear to the healing counterparts. Any of them can also heal any 5 man/solo content without a problem.

If she has set her mind on a paladin then go with it. Take some time to try out the other classes first before you decide. I wish i had.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

Hm... a resto druid was my first lvl 70 (briefly tried a warrior on the way), and it Really isn't what I'd recommend for a new player, tbh. And yes, I leveled as resto Still, the paladin is a lot easier on the learning curve, and there's a ton of stuff to learn anyway while starting out.

Me and my boyfriend did 1-60 as a double paladin team, me retri, him holy to start with, then prot/holy. You can do some insane AoE pulls, group quests are ez-mode and instance groups are easier to find (for that matter, you can two-person quite a few instances without many problems, even while the mobs are still yellow, if you're decent players -but probably not the way to go for fresh players)

Very few people will try to gank you, and you can beat up quite a few of those who do. The "classical" problem of paladins, which is that for the first 40 lvls they're bloody auto-attack-bots should be helped quite a bit by doing RAF -and tbh, holy paladins are not that dull anymore once you reach the higher levels -you can still judge and consecrate, you get holy shock, and will do some nice damage with exorcism. Also, if she does decide it gets dull to play full healbot, she can go retri and still do well on both healing you and helping dps. (druids are a bit problematic on this since you're either a tree or an overgrown owl) I've tried being retri healer to a prot pally for grinding, and it works quite well, and it's even more OP in the "lol, you thought you were ganking us?" department.
    Keep in mind: 1-60 is not where you'll be spending most of your time, even if it is where she'll find out whether she enjoys the game. And I do actually think she might enjoy the fact that you're playing the same class, it also means you're "exploring" it together -while the different specs means you won't compete for gear.

However... I currently play a resto shaman as my main, and that is the other class you might like to consider. Priest is an option, but again, if she decides she want to try to dps she
    1. can't heal in the pure dps spec and
    2. SP dps is a royal pain in the behind to learn for new players.
    And their healing is more complicated simply because there's so many spells to learn, use, and keep track of. (I wouldn't like it if my BF put up my action bars for me :P)

Shamans on the other hand:
    1. Can use dps spells in their healing spec. (yes, the damage sucks, but tbh quite often what counts is just being able to do "something". I level 70-80 as resto with my BFs retri pally pulling me through quests and tanking in instances. Being able to chain lightning just makes you feel more fluffy and happy inside :P )
    2. Can heal well in their caster dps spec, and their dps spec is easy. (We could equally well have had him be prot and me be ele and still done instances with no problems with me as healer and him tanking)
    3. Can also be dreaneis. (what do you mean, that isn't relevant? :S)

The totem system has gotten a lot tidier now with the new setup, AoE is kinda "meh" for resto shammies, but putting down a totem to do damage while healing you tanking x mobs works quite well. Basically I think the class is "easy" while still giving you some buttons to push. Earth shield and riptide combined also means she can do the shaman equivalent of "hotting you up and pretending to do dps".