Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is there ANY WAY to beat a Frost Mage comp as Arms War?

So I started arenaing with a Holy Pally and we're doing pretty good so far.

The only problem seems to come when we are matched up against any team with a Frost Mage.

That mage won't let me do SHIT, they CC my partner and burn me, or if that doesn't work, easily (and I mean SUPER EASILY) CC me while they kill my partner. They don't even need to burst her, they can take their time because I'll be frost nova'd and snared 100% of the time.

The most frustrating thing in the world is getting matched up against a Frost Mage and Rogue. I get the Rogue down to 20% he does the typical Rogue thing which is drop a deuce in his pants and pop all of his escape cooldowns to get away. Normally, that's fine but I can't do shit with that Mage on me. I managed to get that Rogue down to 5%, he ran, I got CC'd in place, Pally BoF'd, Mage spellstole and back to being CC'd, Rogue bandaged back up to 40% or so. Rogue gets back on me, I take him back down to 10% same shit happens, I get locked down by Mage while Rogue casually gets away. All this time my partner is getting sheeped and blinded.

I go for Mage, Im fucked due to his overpowered shield novaing.
    I go for Rogue, I'm fucked by the Mage damage and snares.

WTF do I do?

Oh and also I tried pillar humping but they just switch to Pally and DPS her while I'm stuck not doing any damage like an idiot.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Re: Is there ANY WAY to beat a Frost Mage comp as Arms War?

Tell your pally to place frost aura and learn to pillar los and cleanse, if he's holy he'll have sacred cleansing so you'll have a good resist over frost spells, wear them down, spell reflect smart more so if he tries to sheep you, intervene if they go fuck him up, always hamstring the rogue and overpower the crap of out him if he's on you.
    Eventually the mage runs oom.

Use charge and intercept on the mage primarly to stop casting when pally's incapacitated, macro a sword and board for a fast shield bash when he's got blink burned, and go on the rogue when he's out of cooldowns, the pally should be able to survive the rogue or the mage alone and run out of LoS, if he can't then that's your problem.

15+ Year Old Account

The problem with Mage/Rogue is that it's a complete antisetup for most teams if they can coordinate and time their CC together well, especially against Melee/Healer teams.

So I can't really help you with this, I guess the best thing to do is try to stay out of the open where you will get rape stunned by the rogue while getting nuked by the mage.

Mage/Rogue can beat a palladin team? This is news to me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Yeah here the pillars are your friend, if pally stay in los good enough the mage will eventually or by mistake blink into range to get a sheep of a shatter, he can get stunned and buy a few more seconds or force a cooldown there, which is a good thing.

Tell him to be aware of pet nova, it can peak over the pillars but doesn't have winter's chill, a fast cleanse can save u a lot of trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vht-x3KDIK0

hes prot but there is something to be taken from the vid.

hope it helps some at least.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dædric
    Tell your pally to place frost aura and learn to pillar los and cleanse, if he's holy he'll have sacred cleansing so you'll have a good resist over frost spells, wear them down, spell reflect smart more so if he tries to sheep you, intervene if they go fuck him up, always hamstring the rogue and overpower the crap of out him if he's on you.
    Eventually the mage runs oom.

Use charge and intercept on the mage primarly to stop casting when pally's incapacitated, macro a sword and board for a fast shield bash when he's got blink burned, and go on the rogue when he's out of cooldowns, the pally should be able to survive the rogue or the mage alone and run out of LoS, if he can't then that's your problem.
    Due to server lag and such, it's impossible to spell reflect sheep unless you already have sword/board out and waiting for it. Also, the hardest thing in this planet is getting a hamstring off on a Rogue. They dodge too much, I can only get it off during intercept stun and besides his 70% snare > mine.

Snare also doesn't help stay in Rogue's melee range, he vanishes and sprints at same time, you know typical Rogue run away macro we have all seen and are used to. The only difference is, this time I can't intercept him back and finish him off because there's an overpowered class keeping me chain rooted.

Seriously though, who's the retard dev who thought 3 novas on separate diminishing returns wasn't OP?

I have to kill Rogue first, going for the Mage is suicidal in a comp like that, he can easily kite me with his iceshield and blinks.

Should I bother trying to burn his water pet to eliminate one of the novas?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

Teach your Paladin friend how to use that "Cleanse" button. You know, the one they clearly don't even have on their action bar.
    User has been banned for excessive flaming.

Well, to start off your pally should throw up frost aura, keep bleeds on rogue so he cant vanish/CoS., if he does manage to get away have the pally use aura mastery it should put your frost resist thru the roof and he wont get interupted with it. Also have him use hand of sacrifice whenever he can so if he gets polymorphed hos will break it. And if the problem for you is getting him low and having him run tell your pally to use hammer of juatice on him that should give you a little leway in killing the rogue, after he vanishes try to force the mage to blink, and if your pally has not use aura mastery for the resist then pound the mage, or throw out a bladestorm, so if rogue gets too close hes dead and you should be tearing up the mage forcing the rogue to pop to save the mage, then finish the rogue and kill the mage.

Sorry for any typos, on an ipod

Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by lalartu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vht-x3KDIK0

hes prot but there is something to be taken from the vid.

hope it helps some at least.
    No offense, but this is useless to me. I have 0 issues killing Mages as Prot (Prot is my main spec).

Warbringer makes their CCs trivial for the most part.

If there was a way to know when a Mage comp will come up, I'd definitely switch to Prot =/

I'd say outlast, especially against rogue teams you have the duration advantage
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura

The only problem seems to come when we are matched up against any team with a Frost Mage.

That mage won't let me do SHIT, they CC my partner and burn me, or if that doesn't work, easily (and I mean SUPER EASILY) CC me while they kill my partner. They don't even need to burst her, they can take their time because I'll be frost nova'd and snared 100% of the time.

The most frustrating thing in the world is getting matched up against a Frost Mage and Rogue. I get the Rogue down to 20% he does the typical Rogue thing which is drop a deuce in his pants and pop all of his escape cooldowns to get away. Normally, that's fine but I can't do shit with that Mage on me. I managed to get that Rogue down to 5%, he ran, I got CC'd in place, Pally BoF'd, Mage spellstole and back to being CC'd, Rogue bandaged back up to 40% or so. Rogue gets back on me, I take him back down to 10% same shit happens, I get locked down by Mage while Rogue casually gets away. All this time my partner is getting sheeped and blinded.

WTF do I do?

Oh and also I tried pillar humping but they just switch to Pally and DPS her while I'm stuck not doing any damage like an idiot.
    i think the problem here is your paladin partner is terrible

and...well it sounds like ur bad to
    hahaha. no.

I SAW WHAT U DID THERE!
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

sounds like your partner either needs to spec into dispel resist, or learn to cleanse or both. Also when that rogue runs away, drop a nice fat 4k heroic throw in his back, see if he can dodge that...

If you're only fighting the frost mage. keep your shield on at all times pop every single CD and SPELL REFLECT TO DEATH
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

sit on mage, if ur with pala, he should be very defensive and be very fast on cleansing novas, sheeps etc..
    mage will run oom, ofc he will try n evocate, but when u notice he is ccing defensive to get a evo off, pala just gets ready with HoJ, or u take freedom and charge him.. when he is oom, priest shouldve lost a lot of mana as well, but since mage is oom and cant help his priest, u should switch and kill the priest
    thats how i usually do it, ofc, this is not guaranteed win >.<

WTF do I do?

I play 2v2 with a resto druid. I'm arms.
    When we meet double frost mage we rarely loose. We lack dipells ofc, but we have the advantage of the Op resto druid being immune to sheep, can shift out of slows and roots and is really hard to interrupt. So I don't know how well it would have gone with a paladin.

But...When we fight we have no dispell as I said. Time your spellreflect wisely, use lLos well and change targets quickly when you feel it's smart. Against frost mages it all comes down to how good your comunication is and how skilled you are yourself. I have dueled alot of frost mages so I know how to play against one, and against two.

It's super fun to play against them, and we usually win

I'm stuck in roots all the time, and not to be rude, but I think this is a l2p issue both induvidually and as a team. I get the feeling you don't coordinate anything.
    Meh

WTF do I do?

L2Reflect better or start to reflect
    New and shiny compppppp!

well your partners either a pally who can freedom you, a druid who can root the mage after blink is forced, or a shaman who can snare to help set up a blink force into hamstring. Now that you can charge in combat (B.C arena it was just intercept once combat started) it should be very easy to force a blink then charge or intercept again and again and again and again, if you are finding it hard to sit on the mage all day your bad. Melee have more abilities that are all instant to get to the clothies, than the clothies have to kite with, which is a major issue with the game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by chrion
    well your partners either a pally who can freedom you, a druid who can root the mage after blink is forced, or a shaman who can snare to help set up a blink force into hamstring. Now that you can charge in combat (B.C arena it was just intercept once combat started) it should be very easy to force a blink then charge or intercept again and again and again and again, if you are finding it hard to sit on the mage all day your bad. Melee have more abilities that are all instant to get to the clothies, than the clothies have to kite with, which is a major issue with the game right now.
    NO. No they don't. If they have a partner who can dospell/freedom/root, then yes. But that's 2v2 then. Warrior has charge/intercept to get to the target. Bladestorm only works if you are allready at the target and so does fear to a degree. You can intervene if the healer stands next to the enemy. W have hamstring that only works if allready t the trget, and we have a trinket for the stuns.

Frost mage has frostbolts to kite (though we do have hamstring), frost nova, frostbite, blink, sheep, Pet nova, mirror image kiting, Ice barrier shattering nova, CoC.

You are not bad if you struggle to keep up with mage with a partner. Especially not if it's bouble mage
    Meh