Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: timeline for wow. How long can it go on for? 2015? 2020?

I would LOVE to see a Cavern of Time expansion where all the zones are different individual times in WoW's history that you have to fix. And of course Chromie would be in all the zones

WoW will die when the first person achieves..... http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=284
    Why not you paid your $15 right?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by RestoRiven
    WoW will die when the first person achieves..... http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=284
    Someone in my guild got that 2 days ago....Is wow over?!

Quote Originally Posted by chadiu
    Someone in my guild got that 2 days ago....Is wow over?!
    link armory or it didn't happen.

Still waiting for that armory link.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyd534
    sigh...the world is gunna end in 2012 DUHHHH
    ;D
    12/12/2012 To be exact ;P

Quote Originally Posted by tankingallday
    12/12/2012 To be exact ;P
    I thought it was the 21st :P

WoW will effectively end when Diablo III nears beta readiness. At that point any staff member worth their wages will be working on DIII. The new content for WoW will suck.

Once Diablo III has an open beta, and certainly once it is available for retail, WoW's population will cripple.

The announcement, eventual beta, and ultimate release of Blizzard's new mmo will be the final nails in the coffin.

So really you have nothing to worry about until 2015, yea. That's prolly when DIII will be nearing Beta. And by nearing Beta, I mean people will have had beta keys for over a year but still not have a beta to use them for.

WoW is too huge to go away anytime remotely soon. I almost want to say it's "too big to fail". They would have to really mess things up somehow.

People are too emotionally and socially invested in WoW to just give it up. If a really great MMO came out, and it was truly better than WoW, I wouldn't switch unless my friends did too. I would have a hard time just being like "hey, see ya!" to the 20 or so people I regularly talk and play with. That's probably why they are putting more emphasis on guilds in Cataclysm. They want you to be friends with as many people as possible.

I think that the only thing that can kill wow is SW.if SW fails,its not gonna die after market finishes.
    You can't use this while stunned.

15+ Year Old Account

I would guess somewhere between 2012-2015. There's no way it will be in the next few years atleast.

If the world doesn't end, wow will never end

Too many people play the game for it to die, period. Look at D2, 50k? people still play that down from the initial million or so? Taking the same percentage, that's still 500,000+ people sticking with WoW when all new and flash games come out. That is a HUGE playerbase. Sure, tehy may close 3/4 of the servers, but that's still a lot of revenue. They still update D2 (lawl?) and with an even larger playerbase, I can see them going until they just choose to stop. Lore-based content will end when final development phases begin on either WoW2 or Warcraft 4, but that still leaves a lot to expand on.

Why does everyone assume Diablo III Starcraft II or Blizzards new MMO will in anyway detract from WoWs player base?

I havent played any of these games or any other blizzard games except Warcraft and that is just coincidence. Most other players are like me and didnt come to this game from another Blizzard game, sure there are some but the vast majority didnt. So there is no reason they will leave for another Blizzard game. People dont care about them they are just a company everything they make isnt in some way an improvement on thier old stuff.

As for the new expansion. That is stated as being a completely new franchise. It isnt WoW so what possible reason could people have for leaving WoW for it? The only connection it has is the company that made it and quite frankly that doesnt really have an effect.

All you people who say the development team for WoW will move to the new MMO are completely wrong. what possible reason could they have for doing that? WoW make s huge amounts of cash they wont start to degrade it for another project. Also why would you bring in the same team to do a different MMO? It would end up almost exactly the same. Which isnt the idea at all. Sure they will have some imput as they have lots of experiance but they wont be making the game and leaving WoW to die.

Wow requires as much work as it always has and so they will need the same size team as before. This will stay largly the same with the odd alteration, being brought in as replacements. But these people wont be B team as has been stated, they will be introduced to the WoW way of thinkin gto keep everything running smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by RestoRiven
    Still waiting for that armory link.
    I dunno about his guildie or w/e but

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ac...&gn=Bl%C3%A2me

pretty nuts there can't be more than a handful around the world with that achievement

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalius
    Why does everyone assume Diablo III Starcraft II or Blizzards new MMO will in anyway detract from WoWs player base?
    I think it's mostly just because few games are made with the polish of a Blizz game, so Blizz is one of the few companies that can compete with itself.

However, it's silly. People aren't paying attention.

When they started merging WoW accounts with battle.net accounts, it occurred to me that that was how they'd avoid cannibalizing WoW: You'd simply have a subscription to all of their games at once. They -want- to be their own best competitor.

My guess would be that either they leave us with a flat $15-ish fee for all b.net games, or they bump it up very slightly per game. IE, one game is $15 monthly, a second is $4 more monthly, each additional game $2 or something. Then, they just share the profits amongst all the studios.

Things this accomplishes:
    1) Players who leave WoW stand a good chance of going to another Blizz game. At worst, Blizz loses a couple bucks/month from the WoW subscription.
    2) Players who leave the battlenet service entirely are more likely to come back for at least -one- of the games, and in doing so it immediately gives them a very low bar for returning to other b.net games.
    3) By doing this they can dramatically reduce burnout, since you can go play other games without losing your friends here. Anyone who's tried to move to another game with guildies knows how well it works: Not well.
    4) By selling the 'bnet' service rather than individual games, Blizzard allows players -far- more flexibility in their playstyles while still subscribing.

e.g.:
    -Work or school get you super-busy so you can't raid for a few months? No big deal, just play D3 or SC2 when you find time, and your friends from WoW can join you.
    -Tired of raiding full-time, but want to gracefully switch to casual raiding? Play D3, and have a friend ping you when there's a raidslot open.
    etc.

This isn't too unlike the sort of "game umbrella" NCSoft has been pushing for, but Blizz is doing it in characteristic Blizz fashion: Far more effectively, with pizzazz. It's very shrewd of them.