Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Let's address this "cleave" thing.

I'm sure you've all noticed that every new team these days gets a fancy -cleave name. First it was just melee cleave, or cleave. Probably warrior-ret-holy pally in season 5. Switch the ret for a DK and it's shadowcleave.

Enhance + Warrior + healer = BEASTCLEAVE. I lol'd when i heard this one.

Enhance + bmhunter + healer = zoocleave? am I getting these right?

Now you've got elemental - destro - healer for Wizardcleave. I mean, I laughed, but elementals arent very wizardly, it would make more sense as mage-lock-heals, but then again, the spirit is there, the exact participants dont matter, it's 2x caster DPS. Also know as Spellcleave.

The other offshoot is -play. I want to say, shadowpriest-lock-healer would be shadowplay? I didn't much favor this term but hey whatev. the comp didnt catch on either.

The question is, why cleave? in the beginning, i could sort of see it. Warrior sweeping strikes, bladestorm, possible even cleave but probably not, all hitting multiple targets, divine storm hits multiples, "cleave" sort of works. But in current usage it's pretty much just taken to be [somewhat descriptive word]-cleave, where cleave means, "blows something up fast."

Other arena team naming conventions are the abbreviations. RLS and RMP work very well, they arent thematically descriptive but they are pretty solidified in the lingo at the moment. I tend to say "RMP," but PMR, otherwise pronounced "peemer" is humorous too.

I guess it's just hard for new teams to make such big waves that they end up with their own names. I just wish that when they did, they could get original names instead of x-cleave. I think the cleaves came about because it is kind of funny to apply that terminology to "wizards" or "zoos," or what have you, but I can't help but think we can do better, or at least be more specific.

P.S., when announcing, in 2s, that we are fighting "ret-rogue," i can't help but laugh because when you say it fast it sounds like Scooby Doo saying "uh oh." which is what you'll be saying too when they start in on you. :P

Re: Let's address this "cleave" thing.

In before "Cool Story Bro"

It wasn't a story, I asked a question.

smartass.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bw13187
    It wasn't a story, I asked a question.

smartass.
    Guess I'm not seeing the question mark..

The question is, why cleave?
    l2read

A lot of those names aren't exactly correct.

Shadowcleave started off with lock/DK/X

Shadowplay, would be with an Spriest instead. Anything with "play" in it, must contain an Spriest.

Beastcleave started (or at least, became popular), from the MLG event with Hunter/Enhance/X, not warrior. (the whole point is many pets). Zoocleave was just another name for it.

Yea I think Spell/Wizard cleave is basically the same thing, Wizard probably stemming from the 1-shot capability of ele/destro burst, spell being any other variation with a mage.

My favorite is Lumberjack cleave (dub warrior) , but yes, naming conventions tend to get a little out of control. There is just about everything-cleave these days.

You kind of answered it yourself.. cause cleave sounds cool added to things!

I will say though, I don't think I have heard the terms wizardcleave or zoocleave thrown around too much. Also, enhancement shaman actually have a cleave, or AoE ability outside their crappy fire totem?? Not only that I thought beastcleave was for BM Hunters and some other cleaving melee class? Have I been lied to or are these just terms generally applied to something different than they are on your server?

EDIT: Guy above me answered this.

goat seems to have a few answers.

Why must -play teams contain shadowpriests? why? whats the logic behind the naming convention? The idea that if you have a SP on your team you're just "playing" because you cant possibly be serious about winning? lol

http://www.arenajunkies.com/

There's threads with various names (usually someone will start one with their idea of a name and why, and other people will bash them for being retarded for making another "cleave" name. There was, however, one thread that described most of the names and where they originated, which most people agreed upon. CBA to find it though...)

HOGWARTS-CLEAVE

^.^ , theres a 2s team on my realm with that name, its mage/lock
    awesome name

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowmoon&n=Whispir

You're a dumbass for posting this thread. It's not a question, its a wall of text filled with repetitive questions you answer yourself, it's a QQ not about cleaves being awesome but about cleaves naming themselves.. OMFG just go play the game...
    I've wrestled with an alligator, I've tussled with a whale, I done cuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see.
    -The Greatest

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyfourth
    You're a dumbass for posting this thread. It's not a question, its a wall of text filled with repetitive questions you answer yourself, it's a QQ not about cleaves being awesome but about cleaves naming themselves.. OMFG just go play the game...
    you're cool. no rly. was just posting a few of my thoughts, and asking for others'. if you dont like it, feel free to hit the x or the back button and get on with your life

Deathcleave.

3 op classes.

Found this though...

"Cleave" itself started as Enh/War/Rogue/Healers. You'd have your rogue camp one healer while war/enh RNGd something down (wg/sword spec/mace stun). Moreover, warriors would do multi target damage with WW and SS and since physical dps are all front-loaded, you could hit soften something up with that WW/SS damage. Since the rogue was completely locking down one healer, there weren't globals to spare from the obscene damage of the war/enh.

You could pretty much just train something into the ground (warlock/priest) or force a trinket and blind/swap and kill something else.

Cleave is synonymous with melee because that's what it was named for. After the original comp, you saw more and more variants on all melee teams and eventually we just called them all cleaves because they all played with the same zerg tactic.

you're cool. no rly. was just posting a few of my thoughts, and asking for others'. if you dont like it, feel free to hit the x or the back button and get on with your life
    these people are bringing it a bit to harsh, but the thing bout ur post is it doesnt realy read like a question when u give alot of answers urself. might be better if u give a concluding question at the end of the post or something.

i think people just make up some silly rules for this, its just they way u prefer it tbh.(thats about the cleave thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by nium
    [size=10pt] Devs: Our nerfs will block the sun.
    Druids: Then we shall tank in the shade! ...[/size]

How do you get Enhance, Warrior + Healer to Beastcleave?

the issue here is some one said hey i just got cleaved but shadow priest lock...... shadowcleave......omg thats so cool.....lets all call it shadowcleave......and the kids buss moves on

In my eyes this is more of a rant than qq if anything.

To op:
    It's the same story as why every pvp "pro"(they wish at least) is named something along the lines of "somethinglól", same again as to why someone would only write "cool story bro", or end their post with "xoxo" or "xx" or similar. Teen trends in the making!
    Best advice, accept it and move on. You will see new trends every so often with the only logic to them being a "coolness" factor.

More spefically to this particular trend. I believe this was started by some american pvp players who called the s1 5vs5 setup "2345" as opposed to just naming what the setup consisted of.
    Again, it's like with any other teen culture, sometimes you just need to laugh at it and fix a dictionary.

Edit: I believe the term cleave is a pun towards the speed of a typical double dps team. They cleave, ie they kill players fast.
    "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." — Brigham Young

http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthread.php?t=122206

Specifically 3s but 5s would be cool also. Just looking for the ESTABLISHED names of various setups

So far we have:

3s:
    Wizard Cleave - 2 Spell Casters + Healer
    Beast Cleave - Enh/BM Huntard/Holydi
    Lumberjack Cleave - Warrior/Warrior/Healidin
    Gay Play - Warrior/Ret/Holydin
    Menstruation Cleave - Warrior/Feral/Holydin
    Origami Cleave - Fire Mage x2 / Ele Shaman
    ShadowPlay - Warlock/Resto Shamana/ Shadow Priest
    ShadowCleave - DK/Warlock/HPala
    Napkin Cleave (seriously?) - Double Healer/Warrior
    Turtle Cleave - Hunter/Prot Warrior/Healidin
    PMR - Priest/Mage/Rogue
    WLD - Warrior/Lock/Druid
    RLS - Rogue/Lock/Shaman
    TSG - Warrior/DK/Pala
    PHD (Doctor Cleave?) - Pally Hunter DK

5s:
    2345 - Warrior/Ele Shaman/Mage/Hpala/Dpriest
    2346 - Warrior/Ele Shaman/Warlock/Hpala/Dpriest
    Euro Comp - Rogue/Mage/Lock/Druid/Priest ?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Diseous
    In before "Cool Story Bro"