Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What am I doing wrong?

I was always told stamina was an important lock stat and have always focused on SP/Int/Sta. Have I been doing it wrong?
    Here's my build
    I'm thinking of changing to straight Destro because I'm not even breaking 2k dps. I do heroics, questing and hopefully 10 mans soon, working on getting better gear because mine is horrible.

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Avashnea
    I was always told stamina was an important lock stat and have always focused on SP/Int/Sta. Have I been doing it wrong?
    Here's my build
    I'm thinking of changing to straight Destro because I'm not even breaking 2k dps. I do heroics, questing and hopefully 10 mans soon, working on getting better gear because mine is horrible.
    I don't even play a Warlock, but I'll tell you that Stamina is not something you should focus on in any way. That applies to all DPS and healers - as far as PvE is concerned. As far as other stuff goes... Well, a Warlock needs to tell you that.

If you play PVE then you need hit( 'till cap) and then SP>haste/crit. As far as the spec, I never played demo, but afaik your spec is kinda bust. Meta and molten core are both talents you need for PVE, Destructive reach and intensity, not so much. Maybe you should try a deep destro cookie cuter spec and see how that works for you.

Oh and enchant your gear and get a ring or two.

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

alright long time reader here first time poster...but honestly? figured out this question pretty quick....

Heres how i did it! www.google.com

pve warlock dps in seach and BAM!

http://www.wowwiki.com/Warlock_builds
    http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t17008-p...ng_compendium/

Here's my build
    I can't comment on spec since Armory down and I don't so much as play a lock, but stam hasn't really been a caster stat since Vanilla Wow? You'll want to get as much Spellpower, and then focus on getting the hit cap (preferably aim for the raid one of 17%) 17% can include talents, and you can also technically stop at 13-14% (depending on alliance or horde).

Keeping to those basics you should with badge gear and a decent spec/rotation be able to break 3k raid buffed. After that it gets more specific as far as what gear you should be aiming for... but that will get ya started without getting too hot and bothered. ;D

locks and spriests don't shine in heroics anyway unless they're the top dps. stuff dies too fast

according to the armory, you have no rings and only 1375sp.....if that's not just a bug, then your sp is really low and you obviously want some rings

sp is your most important stat, so get more of it regardless. you'll have enough stamina when it's said and done, so i'd not gear FOR stamina, it will even out at higher gear levels, farm TOC

I have the 2 rings from the HH. Crap, I know, but they were better than what I had.
    With fel armor on, I have about 1900 SP.
    I've been doing ToC, but it's hard, since my dps is so low...and heroics for the emblems.
    Which spec is highest dps? aff or destro?
    So I work on SP, Int, hit and crit, right? What about spirit because it raises SP with fel armor?

I have the 2 rings from the HH. Crap, I know, but they were better than what I had.
    With fel armor on, I have about 1900 SP.
    I've been doing ToC, but it's hard, since my dps is so low...and heroics for the emblems.
    Which spec is highest dps? aff or destro?
    So I work on SP, Int, hit and crit, right? What about spirit because it raises SP with fel armor?
    Priorities should be somewheres along the line of SP, Hit till the cap, than it goes foggy a little, don't gear for int (you'll have enough on gear anyways)

Looks like I'd gotten bad advice from other locks in game lol. :P
    Thanks for the info everyone! ;D

15+ Year Old Account

Come on back any time you need help. Send the warlocks on your server this way too, they need help.

Generally speaking, I noticed a trend. If you add your buffed Spell Power and Haste Rating and Crit rating together, you should come out with your "maximum solo" dps.

In my case, 3200 Spell Power + 400 Haste Rating + 600 Crit Rating = 4200 dps, which is what I hit on a target dummy.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Come on back any time you need help. Send the warlocks on your server this way too, they need help.
    Oh, I will! I posted on EJ before here and all I got was rudeness and an infarction, for 'begging for hand holding'!

Oh, I will! I posted on EJ before here and all I got was rudeness and an infarction, for 'begging for hand holding'!
    Not surprised considering that EJ forums tend to be filled with Elitist Jerks. Wait a minute...

15+ Year Old Account

And rightly so. I don't mean to be rude of course, I have received two infractions... but a lot of people think that EJ is more than it is. EJ is for people to discuss theorycrafting. Think of it like a research institute. You don't go to a random University and ask how to do a job. You read their publications and ask peers in another location, such as your office or what not.

Another example would be a butcher. He's preparing all the cuts of meats for people to buy (gear choices, specs, recommendations) and theres a steady stream of people, one at a time, asking "How I cut meat?". He'll never get anything done if he answers every single question.

Keeping EJ "Clean" allows people who excel at theorycrafting to do so without interruption and without the tedium of "hand holding". Unfortunately, they do it the most efficient way possible which pisses a lot of people off.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Odenl0ki
    Not surprised considering that EJ forums tend to be filled with Elitist Jerks. Wait a minute...
    lol
    Yeah, because we ALL know exactly how to play every class perfectly. Especially when you haven't played the class for months!

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    And rightly so. I don't mean to be rude of course, I have received two infractions... but a lot of people think that EJ is more than it is. EJ is for people to discuss theorycrafting. Think of it like a research institute. You don't go to a random University and ask how to do a job. You read their publications and ask peers in another location, such as your office or what not.

Another example would be a butcher. He's preparing all the cuts of meats for people to buy (gear choices, specs, recommendations) and theres a steady stream of people, one at a time, asking "How I cut meat?". He'll never get anything done if he answers every single question.

Keeping EJ "Clean" allows people who excel at theorycrafting to do so without interruption and without the tedium of "hand holding". Unfortunately, they do it the most efficient way possible which pisses a lot of people off.
    Thing is, I didn't start a new thread. I posted in a existing one. They said that stamina doesn't matter for a lock at all. I asked well, if you don't have much HP. how can you life tap, especially without SL? I got 5 inf points for the one question.
    They were rude from the start and basically jackasses.

15+ Year Old Account

Thing is, I didn't start a new thread. I posted in a existing one. They said that stamina doesn't matter for a lock at all. I asked well, if you don't have much HP. how can you life tap, especially without SL? I got 5 inf points for the one question.
    But that's the point. Again, not trying to be rude, but if you approached someone with a degree in Calculus or some shit and said "How does Algrebra work?" they may or may not answer.

If ~hundreds~ of people do the same thing, day in and day out, they develop a system to deal with it, which has to be efficient. Efficient + Courtesy does not compute.

Let me put it this way - in the Warlock Simcraft thread, 90+ pages long, there are more deleted posts than surviving posts. And its still 90+ pages long.

R.I.P. YARG

They probably thought you were trolling. The answer to the question you pose in the title 'what am I doing wrong', is 'everything'. It doesn't seem possible for someone to be so utterly clueless regarding game mechanics unless they are doing it on purpose.

But, if you are sincere, then do what gherkin said - go READ EJ. I promise, any questions you may have are already answered within the warlock forum, you just have to look for them.

edit: for shits and giggles, I went over to EJ to find the infraction post and its actually kinda funny - http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t78410-i...upid_question/ Some other guy even got an infraction for answering your question because it was so bad.

Most of the replies are mostly correct about which stats you should stack and in what order, save for one exception.
    I play a Destruction warlock and can say that you should stack these stats in this order for that tree:

Hit - need any combination that gets you to 17%. You can talent 3% from Suppression in the Aff. tree, raiding with a shadow priest or a boomkin offers an additional 3%, and playing a Dranei? offers 1%. Some numbers to remember: 446 rating = 17%, 368 = 14%, and 289 = 11%

Spell Power - get as much as you can without nerfing your Hit. All of your gems should be either +Spell power, +Spell Power + Spirit, or +Spell Power +Haste. Try to get your Hit rating from gear alone, don't gem for Hit if you can help it.

Haste - the faster you can cast, the more damage you can dish out.

Spirit - your Fel Armor adds Spell Power equivalent to 30% of your Spirit, therefore, +Spirt = +Spell Power

Crit - big number are cool to see but Crit offers Destro locks the lowest DPS per point.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Merckx
    Some other guy even got an infraction for answering your question
    Yep. They even punish long-time posters for this. Everyone I know feels singled out, but I find it kind of reassuring, that somewhere on the Internet there is a place where freedom is not a right.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Merckx
    They probably thought you were trolling. The answer to the question you pose in the title 'what am I doing wrong', is 'everything'. It doesn't seem possible for someone to be so utterly clueless regarding game mechanics unless they are doing it on purpose.

But, if you are sincere, then do what gherkin said - go READ EJ. I promise, any questions you may have are already answered within the warlock forum, you just have to look for them.

edit: for shits and giggles, I went over to EJ to find the infraction post and its actually kinda funny - http://elitistjerks.com/f34/t78410-i...upid_question/ Some other guy even got an infraction for answering your question because it was so bad.
    Well excuse me! I'm used to playing a pally tank, not a caster and I don't have time to learn advanced calculus to play a GAME, like the idiots at EJ.