Hit Rating vs ArP

Okay, I've been out of the loop for a little while as I took a break from WoW...now I'm back and I'm being told that armor penetration is the new hottness for my hunter and that I have to get it capped and to switch to MM for mad dps. Okay, cool.

So I've been replacing pieces of gear and getting my armor pen up...this has resulted in my hit rating...which was slightly over capped...to fall below the hit cap. How important is it to still have hit rating capped if your armor pen is going up?

Also, I'd seen a few little threads here and there saying there was a nerf to armor pen...so should I even be doing this anyway?

Thanks. If you need any additional info from me, just let me know.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.

Re: Hit Rating vs ArP

Well for a start...how far below the hit cap are you? Always get hit capped over anything, especially as MM spec.
    I am not sure how good your gear is but you should only really start switching to MM with a 323 ranged weapon, and a decent amount of armpen through gear alone.
    As far as the armpen nerf, it wasn't a huge dps loss. I've just been changing my gems round on femaledwarf.com from agi to armpen and got an inc of 6 dps, but that's with 616 armpen through gear alone + grim toll.

If you don't have a 323 ranged weapon, and you are knocking around in naxx and hc gear - by all means stay SV.
    A link to your armory would help alot.

Despite, of all this alot of hunter's pref to stay agi...

I found it better to spend a point or two in FA when I went MM rather than gem or drop other dps increasing stats for hit. You NEED to be at 8% hit. Each point in FA gives 1% hit, but its not reflected on your paper doll stats. So, if the paper doll says you have 7% hit, you know you need 1 point in FA to reach cap. ArPen doesn't do much for you if you miss.

Speccing MM is a lil more forgiving than Surv and you have a few points to play around with. 7/57/7 is the cookie cutter spec, although where you spend the 57 and how you glyph really depends on your gear and latency as long as you take the core points.

Quote Originally Posted by Anium
    323 ranged weapon
    Damn where did you find a 323 ranged weapon!?

MMO MUST KNOW!

200 > 213 > 219 > 226 > 232? > and so on
    WEWENTWESS GWALLDATIROR CASUALTY

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Casualty

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&n=Cowsualty

Okay. Well that info helps, thanks. So what is the actual ArP cap then? I think for now I'll just stay SV until I get the gear needed...and since my guild isn't really doing anything right now...either I'll be that way for awhile or I'll need to find a new guild to continue progressing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.

Quote Originally Posted by Casualty
    Damn where did you find a 323 ranged weapon!?

MMO MUST KNOW!

200 > 213 > 219 > 226 > 232? > and so on
    I HAS IT!!!
    No but seriously, my bad x2

Quote Originally Posted by Synn
    Okay, I've been out of the loop for a little while as I took a break from WoW...now I'm back and I'm being told that armor penetration is the new hottness for my hunter and that I have to get it capped and to switch to MM for mad dps. Okay, cool.

So I've been replacing pieces of gear and getting my armor pen up...this has resulted in my hit rating...which was slightly over capped...to fall below the hit cap. How important is it to still have hit rating capped if your armor pen is going up?

Also, I'd seen a few little threads here and there saying there was a nerf to armor pen...so should I even be doing this anyway?

Thanks. If you need any additional info from me, just let me know.
    If you can't HIT your target nothing else matters. It's really easy for Hunters to be Hit capped with out gemming or enchanting for it. There is the Triumph trinket "Mark of Supremecy" with 3.90% Hit on (Nearly half the hit capp), "Pyrite Infuser" with 2.9% Hit and our Hit talent "Focus AIM" with 1% of Hit per talent point. Just remeber that the x% hit you gain from Focus Aim will not be reflected in the tool-tip and you have to remember to add that x% to it. Never sacrafice the Hit cap in order to stack ArP or anything else because again you kill something if you can't HIT it to begin with.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

hit trinkets suck, I'd always prefer death's choice/greatness+ mjolnir runestone.
    As a SV hunter of course 2x death's choice or one replaced by greatness, due to them proccing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray
    hit trinkets suck, I'd always prefer death's choice/greatness+ mjolnir runestone.
    As a SV hunter of course 2x death's choice or one replaced by greatness, due to them proccing together.
    Hit trinket suck ballz idd, but 2x death's choice is pure win for any spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray
    Verdict/Greatness is just fine for MM, too, assuming you don't have Dark Matter or Mjolnir. :P
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

actually those 3% from talents are good and there really are no other place to spent those 3 pts.. well for hit trinket sure grim toll is nice but you can easy get hit from T9 and rings think on 10m ToC and 10m HM toc second boss were droping sick rings with +hit on them

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

If your guild isn't doing much raiding, then half of the gear that have been listed won't mean anything to you. Reach your hit cap, then work on other dps stats. That's the bottom line.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-hunter/a-guide-to-arp-for-hunters!/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn