Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted

Re: Warning: Spoilers Ahead!, Tier 10 Armor

Good point..
    Only i failed on the Frostwyrm Room

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    That's what I had in mind when I said "I won't comment the announcement itself". Asking people to not post 3.3 information on official forums is one thing, telling them to stay away from fansites is a move I can barely understand.
    My first thought was "That's like saying: if you don't want to get burnt you shouldn't put your hand in the fire.". I think it is meant, that you should stay away from places that may spoiler you as long as they can spoiler you. It's not "fansites are bad", is it?
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Personally, I like hearing what happens. Someone telling me the ending to something doesn't "spoil" it for me, it just means I find out faster.

I'd much rather hear "spoilers" from MMO-Champ instead of some random blog or forum post, if only so I know I can trust the information given.

Quote Originally Posted by kudzupo
    Dang I think I got rickrolled by Boub!!
    That's more like getting Boubrolled

On topic, actually I'd like to see the spoilers, but I understand that it's better to not shove it on people's faces. I'll wait here, for the moment someone starts to know something spoiling and fill the forums with it :

English is not my main language, but I try!

I think a seperate section for the spoilers linked from the main page (clearly labelled spoilers ofc) then people have the choice to click and look.

Personally i like the spoilers , i like reading about whats coming up in terms of raiding even though i will eventually see it all , I am an information junkie i like to know as much as possible.
    There must be no retirement with our backs to the wall, And believing in the justice of our cause, Each one of us must fight on to the end.

We determine the guilty, We decide the punishment.

15+ Year Old Account

I dont mind reading spoilers because realistically i wont see the content anyways so why not.

I do have a thought though. I compare this site to another spoiler site but for a television show, the TV show Lost. And the site is Darkufo.blogspot.com. Its (arguably) the most popular Lost spoiler site on the net, in the same fashion that this site is the best for the latest WoW info.

Maybe u can use that site as a bases on how u handle spoilers for WoW in the future? Maybe have spoilers hidden behind a tag, that u can click on (like a "are u sure" button or something that reveals the content). I guess u would still run into the problem of ppl revealing the spoilers themselves in the comments section so would need someone to monitor the comments and that would become a hassle, so dunno.

Just a thought, but anyways, keep up the good work!

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

In my personal opinion, I don't really mind spoiling I like to know, but what does annoy me endlessly is saying "there are spoilers, but I'm not giving you them!"

Pls link to spoilers, need badly.

Can someone please private message me some of these spoilers? I won't put them online anywhere.
    Sharkughash, resto shaman (main): http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dentarg&n=Sharkughash

Aradhel, Ret Pally (alt): http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dentarg&n=Sharkughash

Well you could add some spoiler tags to the forum so people can discuss stuff there without having the "OMG SPOILER" discussion in every single thread.
    Hello this is a spoiler with the space in between being dark black and only readable after selecting the text or something?
    Removes the need for any spoiler tags in titles or the actual topic itself and still removes the "i didnt want to read that yet" argument since you actively have to select the text to make it readable.
    Its just an idea, and im sure your smart enough to figure out how to implement it.

On the other hand, Blizzard is somewhat to blame here tho.
    They talked about some (ingame) vids related to the fight that might spoil something about the lore, well, these really dont need to be included in ptr files (now or in the future) since the testing needed on those is slim to none.
    The only thing that has to be tested is the triggering of the actual video due to whatever ingame mechanic (The quest completion with Wrathgate for example) and thus doesn't have to be included in anything but a live build.

Sure their argument that they spend thousands of hours working on content is valid, but then spend another few to limit the exposure of spoilers from the ptr.
    Its not as if fan sites only started to dig true datafiles yesterday, and the last ptr builds are almost an exact copy of the retail release.
    Spoiler proof your content, because if you dont some of it will leak, that really cant come as a suprise to anyone.

Whatever you decide to post (or not post) on the frontpage is up to you of course, but blizzard shouldnt go to war with fansites just because they didn't prevent spoilers from being posted.

Quote Originally Posted by lookitsgordo
    Well to be 100% honest with you, the datamining is not something they can stop, but it is something they really do not enjoy people doing.
    I think they also enjoy the free publicity that popular sites like this one promote. It keeps people interested, even after they've stopped playing. They can see something they find intriguing on here, and possibly reactivate.

Personally, I understand not spoiling the supposed "best" content the game has to offer for the people that will get a chance to see it. I'm biased the other way though, having recently dropped out of raiding, I won't get to see the content either. I use this site as the primary information source for my guild still, to keep them updated on information as it comes out. I do think spoiler-alert type posts that link to a page with the information would be ok - so people know what they're getting into before they click it, but I'm sure the "I couldn't resist" argument would come up, and you'd still get hate mails.

In short (not really a TLR), I want the information posted (with some sort of security measure), but understand if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte
    Well you could add some spoiler tags to the forum so people can discuss stuff there without having the "OMG SPOILER" discussion in every single thread.
    Hello this is a spoiler with the space in between being dark black and only readable after selecting the text or something?
    Removes the need for any spoiler tags in titles or the actual topic itself and still removes the "i didnt want to read that yet" argument since you actively have to select the text to make it readable.
    Its just an idea, and im sure your smart enough to figure out how to implement it.

On the other hand, Blizzard is somewhat to blame here tho.
    They talked about some (ingame) vids related to the fight that might spoil something about the lore, well, these really dont need to be included in ptr files (now or in the future) since the testing needed on those is slim to none.
    The only thing that has to be tested is the triggering of the actual video due to whatever ingame mechanic (The quest completion with Wrathgate for example) and thus doesn't have to be included in anything but a live build.

Sure their argument that they spend thousands of hours working on content is valid, but then spend another few to limit the exposure of spoilers from the ptr.
    Its not as if fan sites only started to dig true datafiles yesterday, and the last ptr builds are almost an exact copy of the retail release.
    Spoiler proof your content, because if you dont some of it will leak, that really cant come as a suprise to anyone.

Whatever you decide to post (or not post) on the frontpage is up to you of course, but blizzard shouldnt go to war with fansites just because they didn't prevent spoilers from being posted.
    I agree with you, but imho it is alot harder to limit the spoilers like you are saying than what people think. I am not sure about the whole process of their testing, or anything to do with it for that matter, but I think they would try to cover it up better if they really could.

Deleted

lol nice way of contradict themselves.. "hey dont look at spoiler sites, but we put up PTRs with all the bosses for you"

Quote Originally Posted by mmaker
    lol nice way of contradict themselves.. "hey dont look at spoiler sites, but we put up PTRs with all the bosses for you"
    That's a really twisted way of looking at it...besides it's not contradictory at all...they want to be the ones to unveil their content, and they have that right.

In reality they are providing the content, and probably do what they can to cover up what they want, but in the end they need to unveil it in some way that the dataminers will get ahold of it. All they are asking here is for people to try not to go to the dataminers and find out the ending to part of their epic storyline before the content is even released.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaker
    Being something they can actively control and decide on while sites/datamining is only controlable to the degree of what they put into the local clients... depends on what amount of work is put into either one of those.

ok Boubouille,

but can we maybe get a full disclosure mega post when the patch goes live then ?
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by lookitsgordo
    I agree with you, but imho it is alot harder to limit the spoilers like you are saying than what people think. I am not sure about the whole process of their testing, or anything to do with it for that matter, but I think they would try to cover it up better if they really could.
    Not adding boss completion vids to gamefiles cant be that hard.
    And if the trigger of such a vid has to be tested either add a rickroll or an old vid, it doesn't have to be the actual vid by any means.
    Sure, there is some stuff that cant be prevented and has to be in the game files (Death animations for example) but we learned to deal with that.

But going on a crusade against fansites and actually telling people to stay away because you are going to add vids to the gamefiles that those fansites may or may not post is bad on any lvl.

IDK man. To say that it's somehow hypocritical to say, "I'm posting spoilers"..."don't look at the spoilers accidentally if you don't want to"..."here are the spoilers"....doesn't fit with me. Obviously, it's the privilege of the author to write what they want to write - pretty sure we don't have some fascist content authority in this country (let's not get too deep into that), so if you solidly don't feel right or comfortable putting all of blizzard's dirty dark little secrets out there, then don't. Obviously WoW is a series of content patches - half of the work for which is in presentation and in giving the consumer (11 million or however many there are who spend so much time with it) an experience. They spend billions on it. And it's not like you're specifically in the business of ruining the work and lifeblood of Blizzard. I think the basic nature of this site is pretty antithetical to such a pursuit.

However, I will say, while not condemning your decision, or lauding it...I was a little disappointed to see that you're taking a flat, deadpan, can't-break-these-cuffs silence on the issue. It's a fine line - between forcing the information on the dedicated mmoc readership who may or may not want to know what happens when they get done with a month's work, and keeping your sizable work on datamining from those who want to see it. So who knows? But I wish there were some more reliable and trusted medium for my information than a million dead and false links to diet pills and rickrolls that I will invariably get googling for this for hours.

TLDR - PST me mah spoilers pl0x.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte
    Not adding boss completion vids to gamefiles cant be that hard.
    And if the trigger of such a vid has to be tested either add a rickroll or an old vid, it doesn't have to be the actual vid by any means.
    Sure, there is some stuff that cant be prevented and has to be in the game files (Death animations for example) but we learned to deal with that.

But going on a crusade against fansites and actually telling people to stay away because you are going to add vids to the gamefiles that those fansites may or may not post is bad on any lvl.
    Not necessarily. If they need to add these files for one reason or another (once again, not sure if they would, but it's possible) then that would constitute for everything they are asking for. Also, putting a bunch of time into attempting to block dataminers(virtually impossible) would probably hinder some work done on actually getting the patch out, which is probably something they dont want to compromise.

They are also not asking people not to visit fansites, they are just asking people to try and avoid datamined content on these sites

I check this site literally every single day, and the main purpose behind that is because I'm eager to see spoilers. I may or may not ever see that content, but I'm a big fan of the lore, and LOVE seeing the in-game dialouge posts on this site. I hope that you reconsider not posting those things.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Personally, I will go and find out the spoilers.

So for me, I would rather have mmo-champion post them in a separate "spoiler" section so that I can read them here on my favorite WoW news site rather then looking it up and finding it elsewhere on some dodgy, obscure website.