Thread: Crit cap

Crit cap

Dos anyone know what the crit cap is for warlocks ?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Crit cap

Offtopic: I read the title as Cit Crap

Somewhere between "Lots" and "More" I'd say :P
    Me sorry. Not do bad again, honest. :<

crit "cap" for EVERY class is 100%

Quote Originally Posted by killarth
    Just bear in mind your raid crit buffs etc (which are, what, 13% or something? 5% from some aura, 5% for ISB/scorch, there might be another 3% floating around somewhere as well, can't really remember), so I'd suggest like 87% or numbers to that effect, so ~4000 crit rating

Of course, I knew a cat who had 115% crit on Loatheb, so it's not totally unheard of to break the cap - you just need some crazy-ass boss buffs :P

Dont know about that, on my warlock i have 26% crit chance with Fire stone, and my DR damage is saying that my incinerate and chaosbolt only have a 21.07% chance to crit, though my conflag has the proper 46.07%,
    if the addon is right, critcap is 21.07% (more is not usefull due to conflag nerf and incin is doing more "burst" then conflag)

Read on a previous shaman thread that crit cap for melee is 75%, since 25% will be glancing blows, they had links to AJ where they proved this somehow, wasn't really paying attention... But since casters can't have a glancing blow I see no reason y it couldn't be 100%...

When I was destro I had around 35% crit unbuffed... and after a raid looking back I would be somewhere in the mid 40s... so the cap isn't 21% lol

15+ Year Old Account

I know Gherkin got 7% clitcap
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz
    Wrong.

Crit cap for melee: 71.2% with white attacks and 95.2% with special attacks with max hit/expertise. 55.7% and 79.7% with no hit/expertise.

That's of course with no buffs. So subtract 8% from those numbers. Casters don't need to deal with this as much, but they do need to deal with Int/Crit/Buff balance.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by JebJoya
    Of course, I knew a cat who had 115% crit on Loatheb
    lol, so did that guy crit over his own crits? or maybe crit even when not attacking?

Ya... pretty much what Harky said above.

Crit cap for bosses is 100%-4.8%(crit supression from bosses)-24%(glansing blows(only white melee attacks)=71.2%

From that you can add hearth of the crusader or similar buffs that gives you 3% crit chance, that puts us to 74.2% wich is what ppl useally refer to as crit cap for melee atleast, for casters and ranged i would geuss that you dont substract the glancing blows.

From that number (74.2) you substack what ever amount of % you are away from both the hit cap, and the soft exp cap (in your case being a lock this is only hit that you need to worry about)

So if you need 8% to be capped, but only got 5%, then you substract another 3% from 74.2% wich leads us to 72.2 wich will be your personal crit cap..

As i said above, then this was for melee. For ranged you just dont substract the glansing blows, and therefor would leave you with a crit cap at 98.2% for ranged and casters given you are hitcapped

Sorry for mixing melee into this.

Deleted

Obviously, see above posts for info on the actual crit cap. However, depending on spec, talents and gear, there are points when the value of crit relative to other stats will be much lower than others. If this is the kind of issue with which you are concerned then I suggest you make friends with simcraft (see stickies, in the last page of the simcraft thread I've linked to a guide for the simplified GUI of simcraft if Modez's description seems overwhelming, though I would strongly recommend sticking with him, as his advice is superb).

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by M4xC4v413r4
    lol, so did that guy crit over his own crits? or maybe crit even when not attacking?
    I'm pretty sure he was lying :
    or the poster was making it up.

I think what your refering too is a 'soft cap' where you reach a certain point where the dps you gain from crit diminishes exponentially. Anything over 50% is going to give you less dps per crit %. I aim for self buffed about 35%. You gain 5% from isb/scorch, 5% from moonkin, 3% from ele shammy. Which take you up to about 48%. Now at this point if your doing the math haste will give you much more dps per point than crit.

Now remember that on your stats window where it lists your crit % it does not include the 5% crit you gain for destruction spells from http://www.wowhead.com/?spell18130 which if your destro you need to add on top of whats listed in the stats window.
    More pew pew less QQ

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdark
    I'm pretty sure he was lying :
    or the poster was making it up.
    He was talking about Loatheb and yes it's possible for your tooltip to shoot up well over 100% on that fight. It's purely the tooltip, though, you won't actually crit that often due to the way the combat table works.

Quote Originally Posted by cronix
    Now at this point if your doing the math haste will give you much more dps per point than crit.
    im yet to find a gear level where 1 crit rating where better then 1 haste rating ^^

The melee crit cap is not 100% - 4.8% - 24% - Dodge% - Parry% - Miss%, in fact this was never even the assumption.

The original assumption was that your crit% was reduced by 4.8%, this meant that to reach your crit cap you had to get:
    Code:
    (100% + 4.8%) - 24% - Dodge% - Parry% - Miss%
    Later tests displayed that players appeared to be unable to mitigate 4.8% hit chance, as no matter how much crit they attained they still had 4.8% hit. The formula for this would be:
    Code:
    (100% + 4.8%) - 24% - Dodge% - Parry% - Miss% - 4.8%
    This could be simplified as:
    Code:
    100% - 24% - Dodge% - Parry% - Miss%
    There however was a flaw in the testing methodology that caused this 4.8% forced hit, namely they were attacking the level 83 training dummy from the front. The reason they did this was to add parrys to the combat table, this made it significantly easier to reach the crit cap and perform these tests- a side effect of doing this however was that they got "partial blocks", a partial block in recount displayed as a regular hit- and these partially blocked hits reported as regular hits were mistaken for an unmitigable percentage of forced hit chance on the combat table.

When pruning combat logs this behaviour was found, and proper tests were done from behind. These tests no longer showed 4.8% forced hit (or "Partial blocks"), and as such the old theory was back in place, namely:

Code:
    (100% + 4.8%) - 24% - Dodge% - Parry% - Miss%
    The 4.8% needs to be added, not substracted. It needs to be added because it is additional critical strike chance that you need to attain to hit the crit cap.
    Note though, that this is the melee critical strike cap, most casters can not cap their crit chance. Perhaps a destruction warlock using nevermelting ice crystals and a lot of critical strike rating from gear could cap the critical strike chance of their conflagrate for a brief period of time, but generally speaking the crit cap is not something you should be concearned with at all.

For more details on the melee crit cap read This