Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where is the love?

Yes, this is a big ol' wall of QQ, and i’m well aware i’m about to live up to most of you’s stereotypes that Paladins are just whiners, QQ’ers, 12 year olds etc. Flame on.

Paladin’s have had the worst of everything. Whether thats being pretty much forced to spec Holy if we wanted to get anywhere during the early years, or (at different points in time) being either the most useless, or the most OP class in game (only now somewhere inbetween), or having some of the most hideous tier/set designs going. But as if that wasn’t bad enough, we are also the object of ridicule from both players and Blizzard alike. The butt of about 90% of every joke in Warcraft involves Paladins somehow. Proof, you say? Well, theres countless examples:

• Perhaps the most famous inside joke of all, paladins bubbling and bearthstoning when in a sticky situation
    • The Zul’Gurub doll of a paladin with the flavor text “or could resemble a little girl” or whatever it said...
    • GC’s famous “TO THE GROUND, BABY” comment, which has been used to torment paladins during the numerous nerfs to the class.
    • ... but you has plate AND healz!! ?!
    • The many (many) derogatory terms (lolret, retardin, power ranger, pink, facerollers, need I go on?
    • And ofcourse who could forget the paladin-in-a-bubble given out at Blizzcon...

Lets take a trip through history of the Paladin class, shall we?

In Vanilla WoW, we may as well have had one specs: Holy. End game, any decent raiding guild would laugh at the thought of a retribution or protection paladin, but even then, Holy was stigmatised as a cleanse bot. Retribition was majestically terrible. Only a few rets existed, and only a VERY few got anywhere with it (and I bet no small part being down to generous guilds). The general opinion was that if you’re Ret, you don’t know how to play or what you’re doing, and I guess that was true. While not as laughable as ret, Protection was still frowned up by the community, why would a raid bother taking you, when a Warrior did everything you did but better?

Then came the Burning Crusade, and whilst Prot seemed gain a little more popularity amongst the paladin community (still, not much), Ret was just as it was, looked down upon and laughed at (Que lolret). Infact the gap between Ret and other specs seemed to widen if anything. Although there were a few very good ret paladins during the latter of TBC, a very good ret pally could still be beaten be a good other class. Holy was as it was, pretty much unchanged, still the only Paladin spec truly viable with the hardcore guilds.

Little did we know after years of being looked down upon and laughed at, buffs were just around the corner!

After what, 3 years? Blizzard finally decided to ‘fix’ the broken spec, but alas it seemed that Ret is meant to be condemned no matter what. Instead of being disgustingly abused for being usless and fail, Blizzard decided to buff Ret through the roof, and we were then being disgustingly abused for being OP (and > 80% of people today, seem to have their mindset stuck back then). Their excuse? Paladins (especially Ret) were hard to balance (oh noes! Plate AND heals!!?!), and yes, im not denying that its hard; an impossible feat to completely balance every class and spec, and no I couldn’t do it myself before you ask, but was that REALLY they best way they could handle it? I saw countless good and viable suggestions across countless different threads of how to fix Retribution. Not one was listened to. Prot also became significantly viable, but unfortunately, most of the backlash aimed at Ret when Blizzard buffed it affected the entire class.

So now we’re in WotLK, and no, Ret and Prot finally aren’t usless! But unfortunately it seems it traded its uslessness for unyeilding hatred. What with being dismissed as OP even after countless nerfs, and labled Faceroll because our rotation isn’t as difficult as others, not regarding that fact that it actually takes more focus and attention than other specs (in before and retarded Feral Druid thinking I actually said Ret takes the most skill. I didn’t), due to all of our main offensive abilities having short cooldowns, and all of them having to be being constantly used.
    But the buffs also brang all the FotM rerollers, and along with them came the stigma of 90% of our class being 12 year old (blood elf, generally) retards that don’t know how to play. The sad thing is, the minute those buffs came, the community forgot all about the Paladins struggles in the past, and we were yet again under scrutiny this time for being OP.

What annoys me the most is that the players suffer hate from the community due to Blizzard’s own mistakes.

Why has NO other class had half as much hate as ours? Like paladins, druids can also tank, dps and heal; but the only thing people attacked them for was for Resto being too good in arena in TBC. When even the dev’s themselves start mocking our class (and its actually on a regular basis now), what can we possibly do? Its impossible to win when theres so much hate surrounding you. Its impossible to win when everything is against you.

So I ask, dear community, where is the love..?

Re: Where is the love?

Quote Originally Posted by KorKronElite
    Well, theres countless examples
    I can count to six. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Tural
    I can count to six. ^_^
    I, sadly, am limited to two.

Love is in the air.

Oh, *cough* can't say I hate paladins. I've been playing one for fun (level 20) and had great time with it. Some of the things you've mentioned deem true from my perspective as well. Like retridins being "forced" to spec holy just to get in the raid/arena which might be OK in a desperate situation when you lack a healer, but I don't think anyone should force you do anything that might brake the fun for you. Then again, paladins are a hybrid class so, uhm, re-roll a rogue maybe

Honestly, the class is easier than most others in nearly every aspect of play. That very well may be the reason so much of your precious community flames on you. I don't see why it bothers you so much, tbqh. If you have to complain so thoroughly about it, then obviously you're puting way to much into this game, and if that's the case, chillax, and take a couple weeks off to sort your prios out.

^

Translation of all the incoming hatemail at this post.
    I tell you what though. The next time your little sister loses her dolly in the neighbor's yard, and he punches her in the throat, don't call the cops. He has a sign on his lawn that says "this is a PvP lawn, noob, gtfo lol". ~Fenixdown

I can count to six. ^_^
    I gave a few examples, lets not get into the summonable Argent Paladin that bubblehearths, bloodelf paladins, all the pink, Eadric the Pure in general, Bacon of Light, being op against bads, Don't nerf me bro! etc, shall we?

Um. If you're offended by all of that, I think the bigger problem might be that you're potentially a social outcast for having no sense of humor whatsoever.

You're not just living up to everyone's stereotypes, you also seem to be giving them the giant orange stamp of approval. Paladins are in a state where all three specs are viable - what on earth are you complaining about? "It's impossible to win when everything is against you"? If this is a joke, then it's on you for wasting your time writing this garbage. If not, just... just don't post anything, on any forum, ever again. You make us look bad.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz
    Love is in the air.
    People killin', people dyin'
    Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
    Can you practice what you preach
    And would you turn the other cheek

Father, Father, Father help us
    Send some guidance from above
    'Cause people got me, got me questionin'

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Probably would have been a viable QQ a year ago. Not so much now :/

This may be a troll, but I don't care. No shame in getting trolled when everyone on the Internet is trolling constantly. That said:

Honestly, most of the ill repute of the paladin class, get this..

Is because of posts like this!

You've got this ridiculous martyr complex, and the rest of us just have to roll our eyes. Why should there be any respect for people who can't act like adults?

You were broken in vanilla? So were ferals and boomkin, so were a dozen other specs. Lots of stuff was broken then.

In BC, the philosophy was still that purists were dps, hybrid dps were buffbots, hybrid tanks were niche tanks. Still needed healers though so everyone could heal. You know who else was terrible in pve BC? Ferals. Boomkins. Ele sham. Hance sham. Arms warriors. etc.

Ret paladins have been very vocal players in the past, which is part of why they're the butt of jokes. Everyone is, though. Rolled a vending ma-.. 'scuse me, mage? How about a DK? The hatred there is thick as well.

I'll be honest: Ret is still easy. It doesn't take any focus at all, you're full of it. I raided as ret through much of BC (generous guild of casuals) - it took far more focus then when you had to reseals in the middle of a swing to effectively twist seals. You had to know the fight duration and whether you'd have mana to continue. You had to watch incoming damage so you didn't overly stress healers (I was a BE, SoB hurtied).

You have to watch cooldowns now? At least your UI lights up when you have to hit the button. Many other specs have to pay attention to timers, to adjust to significant procs on the fly. Hell, try a DK, learn to manage runes, a resource that is alon more complicated than your entire spec.

People taunt paladins because you don't have any perspective or appreciation for the ease of your class, and you write posts like this.

Its impossible to win when theres so much hate surrounding you. Its impossible to win when everything is against you.
    May all earden beings abandon you
    The light is your ally.

Where is the love?
    Ask yourself.
    Dont look at hate
    turn around and keep following the light.

The lich king seemed to be the end of your world
    and now you are only few steps away of defeating him.

Quote Originally Posted by Telmenari
    Honestly, the class is easier than most others in nearly every aspect of play.
    Rethink your quote
    plus, i would like to get a proof on that

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo
    This may be a troll, but I don't care. No shame in getting trolled when everyone on the Internet is trolling constantly. That said:

You've got this ridiculous martyr complex, and the rest of us just have to roll our eyes. Why should there be any respect for people who can't act like adults?

You were broken in vanilla? So were ferals and boomkin, so were a dozen other specs. Lots of stuff was broken then.

In BC, the philosophy was still that purists were dps, hybrid dps were buffbots, hybrid tanks were niche tanks. Still needed healers though so everyone could heal. You know who else was terrible in pve BC? Ferals. Boomkins. Ele sham. Hance sham. Arms warriors. etc.

Ret paladins have been very vocal players in the past, which is part of why they're the butt of jokes. Everyone is, though. Rolled a vending ma-.. 'scuse me, mage? How about a DK? The hatred there is thick as well.

I'll be honest: Ret is still easy. It doesn't take any focus at all, you're full of it. I raided as ret through much of BC (generous guild of casuals) - it took far more focus then when you had to reseals in the middle of a swing to effectively twist seals. You had to know the fight duration and whether you'd have mana to continue. You had to watch incoming damage so you didn't overly stress healers (I was a BE, SoB hurtied).

You have to watch cooldowns now? At least your UI lights up when you have to hit the button. Many other specs have to pay attention to timers, to adjust to significant procs on the fly. Hell, try a DK, learn to manage runes, a resource that is alon more complicated than your entire spec.

People taunt paladins because you don't have any perspective or appreciation for the ease of your class, and you write posts like this.
    lldk....playing a dk is no more complicated then playing a ret, all you press in most specs is your 3 or 4 main buttons and then a couple more for that situational burst dps....exact same as a pally

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo

this

/thread

I don't hate paladins.

I hate shitty paladins.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Valkia
    If not, just... just don't post anything, on any forum, ever again.
    You are disrespecting human rights: freedom of speech.
    why would anyone like to see you posting anything, on any forum, ever again?
    why would even anyone like to see you living in a country wich respects human rights?

You make us look bad.
    he speeks for himself as an individual, so did you
    you make yourself look bad for not respecting the human rights wich where developt through many years of suffering to make this possible

rethink yourself, it will be forgiven
    the light knows that you are a good person deep inside, return to the light my friend

15+ Year Old Account

http://songza.fm/~ywrtp4 Where's the love?!

Its impossible to win when theres so much hate surrounding you. Its impossible to win when everything is against you.
    it is possible to win
    the question is what to win

to win your faith back maybe?

if you trust the light and put all your hope in it than it will give you all the strength you will need, it will give you more strenght than any earden thing could give you, and the hate will fade in the countenance of the light

winning is not the right aspect here
    continue to walk along the path of the light through your life

may all laugh at "bubble heartstone"
    the light safed you to live on and guide and help others
    they try to make the power of light laughable so that less and less trust in the power of light
    dont let them get you