Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Cataclysm Shadow Priest's Nuke

It was only a dream ejejeje

Our new nuke sure will be like mind blast, but with final dot effect.

That was on a blue post saying

"Shadow Priests should have a nuke without cooldown (see it as an ice lance like spell)"

That's also the only thing I saw on priests about Cata.

Yeah I was thinking about a
    "Shadow Lance" : Instant 30 yard range No Cd
    Deals X damage (low damage like ice lance) and critical strikes does 100% increase damage per dot on the target and you have 5% increased critical strike per dot on the target (total 15% to compense the lack of crit in pvp).
    It's not because we like a steack that we want to know who's the cow.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    And oh, look, even the devs said they won't do it since, INCREDIBLE - it makes no fucking sense. So surprising.
    Nevertheless, they were considering it, which is much closer to doing it than your unhinged rant suggested.

It wasn't a rant, if it was I'd "rant" about game mechanics and such. I wouldn't address stupidity of requesting a frost spell in order to be able to do something while locked out.
    Check what Ghostcrawler wrote there, it's really really dumb to give a class another spell school just so they can use it while locked out of their main spell school.

How about shadowbolt? *new an exciting yay* :

Would be a single target nuke that probably wouldn't fit into an actual dps rotation(unlike affliction), but would do a decent amount of damage without any set up(like affliction). Adding a +% of damage per dot on the target to mindflay would concrete mindflay's place in a single target rotation over Shadowbolt, if that ever became an issue.

Shadow priests ingame cast it, so it wouldn't be a stretch.

3... 2... 1..... COMPLAIN!
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

Check what Ghostcrawler wrote there, it's really really dumb to give a class another spell school just so they can use it while locked out of their main spell school.
    He didn't say that at all. He said that if they did give spriests a Frost spell, it would be for shadow school lockouts only — they don't want spriests to be dealing multiple kinds of damage as part of a regular "rotation." Then he went on to describe less exotic solutions, but he never says, "Oh, but we'll never implement that Frost spell, what a stupid idea!"

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by kynd
    Kudos for a cool and original idea. I like the add health, followed by a quick turn around to eat that health away. The crit on SW i could live without, but it would be nice. That would be a hell of a rotation tho lol. 3 dots + MF/MB + Deceit + SW when Deceit is applied. sounds fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadet
    LOVE this idea! Plus I can imagine the fun, 1500dmg at lvl 85 would hopefully scale to something more like 15k dmg raid buffed! So we're raiding, new encounter.. Boss is at 1%, 5 people left are slowly whittling away the health while the other 20 cheer away.. One tank, one healer left. 30k hp left.. Boss jumps to 45k hp.. Healer goes oom! Gets in one last heal, tank gets killed. Everyone popping everything they have left, Deceit ticks once.. Boss is at 30k hp.. Deceit Ticks Twice. Boss is at 15k hp. Everyone dies.. Just as the last Deceit is about to tick, boss despawns!

Hehe but really. I do like this idea!
    I should totally fucking work at blizzard.

/thread

xD
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

I'd just like to add that I also love the Deceit idea. It could have some PvP utility as well. For instance, if it deals damage based on what it healed, it would essentially be buffed by effects that increase healing such as Focused Will, passive talents that increase healing by 15%, or (god forbid) Guardian Spirit. You could also sow a bit of confusion if you're bursting a target with a healer on them. Or screw yourself over by using it on the same target at low health.

It's cool, anyway. Shadow could use some more abilities that raise the skillcap of the spec in PvP.

I had to quote this due to sheer stupidity that's even funny for me, who have seen many many many stupid, retarded and variously mentally challenged people trough this game and you're there, sharing the top with some of them.
    A shadow priest using frost spells. Please, let's have rogues who deal holy damage when they're disarmed.
    God you're dumb.
    And I'll even spend time explaining why I think like I do, just so this isn't yet another bash on yet another clueless guy.

1) When locked out, you have access to holy spells, which are powerful (zomg, they heal, badass).
    2) You can use Dispersion while silenced, stunned or locked out.
    3) Priests have 2 (words: TWO) schools of magic and are the only class with 2 (words: TWO) healing trees.
    4) Priests are hybrids, we don't have access to more than two spell schools. Rarely a class has access to more than two spell schools.
    5) Even if the idea seems good to you, it doesn't mean it fits the character that is shadow priest, lore-wise and game mechanic wise. A shadow priest - dark side of the priest, hence shadow and light as opposites. Where can you fit frost in there? What's the "reason" that would justify that one that heals can suddenly fart a fucking frostbolt-like spell?

What saddens me is that majority of wow population are exactly like you, clueless. You should roll a death knight and pvp with it, way easier and any button you press is full of win. Enjoy your gaming experience, I hope you don't stick around much.
    What an idiot you are. Shadow and frost are very linked lore-wise (as mentioned earlier, Lich-like dreadlords, DKs, Soulfrost, etc), and Blizzard themselves have considered adding this very thing:

Ghostcrawler: We have discussed giving Shadow priests a Frost spell to use solely in emergency situations like this, but its niche would be only for school lock-out periods. (Source: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...ev/priest.html)

Enjoy your gaming experience, I hope you don't stick around much. Because you are narrow-minded, arrogant, and retarded: a horrible combination.

I like the idea for deceit too, but I feel that blizzard might be skeptical about a spell that heals an enemy target at all.

Anyways, I don't know where the quote is but I believe that they wanted to give us a nuke that is off cooldown, and even though this is a great idea and i dont remember what cooldown you gave it its not spammable. They will probably just add some sort of longer cast direct damage spell that has some extra side effect to it to keep mid blast and mind flay part of the rotation or they will just change mind blast and mind flay to just being a spammable spell like for fire mages, dot and then nuke. Personally I hope its the first one and they keep it more complicated, but who knows.

Personally I think they were discussing a spammable shadow nuke due to spriests' terrible haste scaling, but since they fixed that, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the idea —especially since it's not a particularly popular one.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nietz
    I'd just like to add that I also love the Deceit idea. It could have some PvP utility as well. For instance, if it deals damage based on what it healed, it would essentially be buffed by effects that increase healing such as Focused Will, passive talents that increase healing by 15%, or (god forbid) Guardian Spirit. You could also sow a bit of confusion if you're bursting a target with a healer on them. Or screw yourself over by using it on the same target at low health.

It's cool, anyway. Shadow could use some more abilities that raise the skillcap of the spec in PvP.
    Exactly.

Healing received by the target increases it's damage, healing reduced (in the form of mortal strike/wound poison etc) does NOT however.

Quote Originally Posted by Joarrak
    I like the idea for deceit too, but I feel that blizzard might be skeptical about a spell that heals an enemy target at all.

Anyways, I don't know where the quote is but I believe that they wanted to give us a nuke that is off cooldown, and even though this is a great idea and i dont remember what cooldown you gave it its not spammable. They will probably just add some sort of longer cast direct damage spell that has some extra side effect to it to keep mid blast and mind flay part of the rotation or they will just change mind blast and mind flay to just being a spammable spell like for fire mages, dot and then nuke. Personally I hope its the first one and they keep it more complicated, but who knows.
    Well, we already have buffs and spells which deal damage to ourselves or our friends (think Hysteria, SWeath) so why not the other way around?

Edit:

Since i hear lots of people talking about wanting an instant nuke-no cooldown spell.
    I'll try again.

Migraine 30 yd range
    9% base mana (woot no cooldown!)
    Each time your Shadow Word:Pain spell deals damage you gain a Migraine charge, up to a maximum of 3 charges. Charges unleashed through Migraine deal 230 Shadow Damage, and is increased by an additional 10% per charge.

Meaning 0 Stacks deals 230 Shadow damage (which happens to be equal to 1 SW:P tick)
    " 1 Stack 230*2+10% = 506
    " 2 Stacks 230*3+20% = 828
    " 3 Stacks 230*4+30% = 1196 (And perhaps stun the target??)

How's that?
    -It's instant
    -There's no cooldown
    -The only weakness it has, is that it's effectiveness is reduced when constantly spammed (but c'mon.. else it's heavily overpowered :P)

Perhaps it should scale with exactly the same talents as SW:P to increase synergy?

WHICH SCALES WITH HASTE!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Faster ticks = faster Migraine = synergy :O

HOLY SHIT I FIXED SP xD??? j/k ofc Hope you like

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Azeroth
    You do realize you're talking about logic... in a fantasy game, right?

I'm not talking about the logic of flying carpets. Logical arguments still apply in games. He was saying frost makes sense because some old ass item used to have frost and shadow. I was explaining that it had frost and shadow so each class could actually use it. It didn't have frost and shadow because frost and shadow are a viable combination. In fact, it had frost and shadow for exactly the opposite reason, that they could not be used by the same class.

The logic still applies, game or not. Logic isn't some magic thing that disappears when you start playing a game. Just like strategy doesn't suddenly become non-existant just because you're in a battleground and not a real war.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancyfeast
    What an idiot you are. Shadow and frost are very linked lore-wise (as mentioned earlier, Lich-like dreadlords, DKs, Soulfrost, etc), and Blizzard themselves have considered adding this very thing:

Ghostcrawler: We have discussed giving Shadow priests a Frost spell to use solely in emergency situations like this, but its niche would be only for school lock-out periods. (Source: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...ev/priest.html)

Enjoy your gaming experience, I hope you don't stick around much. Because you are narrow-minded, arrogant, and retarded: a horrible combination.
    Shadow and frost aren't linked lore-wise. If you read like 10 replies at mmo forums, it doesn't make you a lore expert.
    We're talking about shadow priest, not deathknight. Also, if you paid any attention you'd notice liches use (watch now, ZOMG) - FROST BOLTS. WOW, FROST BOLTS. Where the fuck do you see anything shadowy about it?

You didn't bother to read what I wrote, you just barged in hoping for a quick flame. Also, google retardation. Undoubtly, you'll recognize yourself and learn what it actually is.

Yes, I am arrogant, but I didn't say anything that wasn't true. Also, since you like to think you can flame - since your dad is probably your uncle at the same time, you suck at it. Now feel free to fuck off and don't speak to me again inbred moron.

How about something simple like:

Mind Rot 30yd range 3 sec cast time (2.5 talented) No CD

Deals X shadow damage +10% for each DoT the priest has up on the target.

or

Deals X shadow damage and causes the targets brain to decay, causing
    devouring plague to instantly do 10% of it's total damage instantly

Or hell, let's steal one from the Scarlet Onslaught

Raven Flock 30yd Range 2.5sec cast time (2 sec talented) No CD

Sends a Flock of Shadowy Ravens to Peck out your enemies eyes, dealing
    X damage and causing a 3% increased chance to miss

Slightly modified, but I don't see the problem with it, also, like the Deceit idea. It would have no use in PvP though, unless it's an all attack team, but I digress. I had an old idea to use painspike, followed by a dispel. I still want Carrion swarm or sleep though, maybe both?

15+ Year Old Account

Shadow and frost aren't linked lore-wise. If you read like 10 replies at mmo forums, it doesn't make you a lore expert.
    We're talking about shadow priest, not deathknight. Also, if you paid any attention you'd notice liches use (watch now, ZOMG) - FROST BOLTS. WOW, FROST BOLTS. Where the fuck do you see anything shadowy about it?

BLABLABLA
    Liches ...hmm you say?
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Lich

They are deeply entwined with the cold power of the grave
    I read frost, and i read shadow...HMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Scroll down a little bit, to the part where it says: Notable.

And look to the right part of the table.

And also, when you check out the http://www.wowwiki.com/Priest page

Some priests choose to be pyremasters or priestesses of the Moon, while some of the most experienced become epic priests.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/High_divinist

Or even further aset from the typical priests:
    While they are divine analogues to archmagi, unlike their arcane counterparts, all high divinists do not belong to a single organization like the Kirin Tor. Rather, each faith usually maintains its own cadre of high divinists. Night elves boast high priestesses of Elune and great human healers become high priests of the Holy Light. Other races also become high divinists, of course, and the entities that command their reverence and the powers they wield are much darker. Naga high priestesses of the tides are frightening and powerful creatures of corrupt magnificence, and frothing Atal’ai high divinists spill hot blood in the name of Hakkar the Soulflayer.
    Priest does not simply mean Holy and Shadow, the concept of a priest is much, much wider and can be used in almost all forms of magics and religions.

If spilling hot blood in the name of Hakkar is already in the lore, i don't see how the icy cold touch of death is so far fetched!

Their foes approach them with wariness, for while they may be able to predict the actions of a normal priest, a high divinist (basically a super-priest) possesses unknown abilities

I'd like something diametrically opposed to Life Bloom.

Pain Spike
    Insta cast, no CD.

Deals x-damage to the target for 371 over 7 sec. When Lifebloom completes its duration, the target instantly takes x-damage. If the effect is dispelled, the dispeller takes said damage. This effect can stack up to 3 times on the same target.

Could I get a nature spell that I could use to heal with while I am interrupted and counter-spelled?

The way I see it is this:

COULD a shadow priest all of a sudden learn a frost spell? Sure, what the hey. My NE priest "magically" forgot how to cast starshards. So obviously "lore" continuity is really not an issue here. An excuse could be made. Could you imagine an entire book dedicated to priests everywhere all of a sudden loosing the ability to cast their racial spells?

NE Priest(ess) Hero(ine):
    "By the light of Elune!"
    /cast Starshards
    Spell cannot be found.

NE Priest(ess) Hero(ine): "WTF? They took our lazherz!"
    One hour later...
    NE Priest(ess) Hero(ine): "Yo Tyrande, try casting Starshards lately? I just tried to and...um... nothing!"
    Tyrande, High Priestess of the Moon: *giggle* "Silly young priest, you must have forgotten your lessons... or have lost your faith!"
    Tyrande casts Starshards.
    Spell cannot be found.

Tyrande: "WTF!"
    NE Priest(ess) Hero(ine): "iknowrite?"
    Narrator: Will our hero(ine) discover why his/her entire faith miraculously lost their special connection with his/her chosen deity for seemingly no reason? Read on for the thrilling adventure of a lifetime!

Anywho....

The real issue here is "why." I seriously doubt Blizzard will ever make bosses immune to certain damage types ever again, so this is really a PvP issue. Warlocks and Mages certainly have more than 1 spell damage school, yet they cannot heal. Elemental Shaman drop considerable firepower when locked out of nature, plus they loose their ability to heal and CC. Boomkins loose healing, CC, and their main nukes when locked out of nature. Shadow priests get locked out of their main damage school, but retain the ability to heal and light dps w/ holy spells, at the cost of dropping SF.

When looked at from this perspective, it doesn't seem as egregious. Anywho, I think there was some discussion somewhere about allowing holy spells to be used in shadowform at reduced effectiveness.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie
    I'd like something diametrically opposed to Life Bloom.

Pain Spike
    Insta cast, no CD.

Deals x-damage to the target for 371 over 7 sec. When Lifebloom completes its duration, the target instantly takes x-damage. If the effect is dispelled, the dispeller takes said damage. This effect can stack up to 3 times on the same target.

Page 2:

Perhaps something really devious.

Something like a reversed http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=32742

So it will first heal the target for something like 50% of the damage dealt.

And then deal it's damage in 3 short heavy ticks.

Deceit 30 yd range
    8% base mana
    Instant 12 sec cooldown

Instantly heal an enemy target for 1500, but then twists the target's fate and always deal three times the damage it healed the target over 3 seconds (Before healing reducing effects). Shadow Word: Death will always critical strike when striking a target afflicted by Deceit.

(Deceit means something like tricking someone, in this case healing them first and then dealing ALOT of damage!)

This is sort of bursty, and also has some nice synergy. And will heal the target less if a MS effect is active on the target (which is almost always the case in pve)

Also feels really shadow-priest-like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nietz
    So much crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy
    Read the entire thing...
    They had 2 options: A Frost damage spell and reducing the mana cost of Shadowform, guess what they choose?

That is not to say we'll never get a frost spell, but the new nuke doing frost damage is less likely than the new nuke doing shadow damage since Blizz choose the latter path.

I would love a shadowfrost nuke, especially if the graphics for it is awesome!