Deleted

PvP Mage gear: good enough for Heroics?

I never did any heroics in WOTLK. I am more pvp oriented player, but now i would like to try some pve, 5 men heroics for begining and then 10 men ... I only have ... well, soon i will have ful epic pvp gear(BG gear, not arena ones) and my q is: will it be ok to start heroics with pvp gear or shall i buy some blues/cheap epics in AH to start with?
    The bigest problem is (or it could be?) mana and mana regeneration, that's what i am worry about.
    Also if PvP gear is ok to start with, does that mean it is ok with all specs? Even with Arcane or i am bound to frost in that case ???

Re: PvP Mage gear: good enough for Heroics?

i don't think its worth spending money on AH blues or even some epics, you shouldnt have problems at all with pvp gear to start with

Epic PvP gear will do the job, you will not deal uber damage, but enough for heroics.
    Just try to get some more hit, then you have in PvP gear.

yes
    you can come to hc instances with just wand equipped and it would be ok

however i recommend that you check your dps on dummy over let's say 5 min period... 2.5k dps is average for hc dps... below 2k - you're doing something wrong, above 3k - you're doing just fine...
    mana regen shouldn't bother you so much... just hit evocation before every boss if needed and drink when ever you can... since you're mage you can spam water... drink for 2-3 sec - move on...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

You can do heroics in any gear really. Might not do great, but you can do them. To my knowledge it's Arcane>Fire>Frost for pve no matter your gear.

Deleted

Ty all

It's OK to do heroics with pvp gear, no-one really cares. Just be kind and polite
    Zarthyr, arcane mage in Sylvanas. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sylvanas&n=Zarthyr

I went through this like 3-4 months ago and asked the same thing here. I found out i was overgeared in honor gear for regular 5 mans, but again it was 3-4 months ago :P

I never did a heroic but i'd imagine its about even with heroics. I remember being all worried like i was going to be undergeared and didn't know the strats or anything, then went it came down to it it was so easy and i was more over geared than the ones in pve.

As long as you take some time to figure out how to play your class, learn your skills and know your rotation, even Blue PvP gear is fine for Heroics.

15+ Year Old Account

Your mana regen will be low so you'll have to drink a lot. To offset this, you should try rolling with a high DPM spec. Frost (it's acceptable for heroics) and Frostfire are good choices. Or go Arcane but use a high DPM rotation, like Arcane Blastx2, Arcane Barrage and/or use Mage Armor instead of Molten Armor. I would avoid TTW/FB until you can get some good PvE gear, because it'll eat up your mana fast.

The difference between PvP gear and PvE gear is not that big until you get to tougher raid encounters. The PvP gear has some of its Int shifted to Stam, so your mana pool and regen is lower. It also has resilience instead of either spirit or a secondary dps stat (crit, hit, haste), which hurts either your regen or DPS, but in epics, you're already plenty overgeared for heroics, and since heroic bosses are never higher than 82, you don't need a lot of hit (+6% is enough, and you should get most or all of that from talents).

Try farming ToC regular and ToC heroic for gear; it'll be the fastest way to accumulate good PvE gear, until you start raiding.