Survival Hunter - How am I doing So far??

Hi guys, Roonweld here, just wondering if im doing everything correctly as a Survival Hunter.

Here is my Armory

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ner&n=Roonweld

Here is wow-heroes (if that matters to you)
    http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone...&name=roonweld

My rotation is as follows:

Serpent Sting

Black Arrow

Explosive Shot

Aimed shot

Steady shox 2/3 (depending on rapid fire or heroism)

if LnL procs Explosive shot / steady / explosive / steady / explosive / steady

(if Black arrow or Serpent sting needs to be refreshed at that time, then i replace

steady shot with that)

in 25mans i pull around 7k dps

in 10mans i pull around 5.5-6k sometimes more depending on buffs

Any changes in glyphs / spec or anything to help me improve?

I know that my trinkets / cloak / and legs suck, i have been very unfortunate in those areas
    Roonweld (Moonrunner) 80 survival hunter
    Dokkan (Moonrunner) 80 Blood Deathknight
    Fazlim (Moonrunner) 80 Holy Priest
    Roonshammy (Moonrunner) 65 Enhance Shaman
    Qim (Moonrunner) 61 Retribution Pally
    Rooncraft (Moonrunner) 60 Fire mage

Re: Survival Hunter - How am I doing So far??

Very good, very good. 9/10 as far as gear...but I always thought the rotation started out with Kill->Explosive->Aimed then went on to Serpent Sting-> Black arrow. Other than that, very good 8)

why is it all so beautiful this fake dream
    this craziness why?

You are geared quite well, although you can use some upgrades here and there. Who can't? I would check on the spreadsheet, but usually straight Agility gems rather than Agi/Crit gems is the way to go. You will usually see your dps go up with all agility. The problem I have is your shot priority and hit rating. Although, I'm not sure there is much you can do about your hit rating without researching it. You want to be on, or just above, 263. You are at 320. You gain nothing by being over the hit cap, but, like I said, maybe you can't really help it at this point. I see no hit gems. I didn't check your enchants though. Make sure they are agility when possible.

Your shot priority should be KS->ES->BA->SrS->AiS->SS

Even with the bonuses.

I assume your 15/56 build was changed from an MM build, otherwise, you would be f'd in the head for having the CS glyph. I also assume your 20/51 build is a raid build and your guild tends to have a well-balanced 25 man. If not, get rid of that f'd up build. The best way to verify is always on the test dummy or using either Shandara's spreadsheet or www.femaledwarf.com.

In the future though, screen shot or your numbers didn't happen. Keep killin'em. Too many ppl on here claim numbers that they have only seen by others, not themselves. Nice toon...for an alliance.
    Don't be elitist, it's a video game for crying out loud. Cure cancer, then you can be an asshole.

i know im waaay over hit, those are just the upgrades that i have won, i plan on running H ToC10 until i get those boots, ill loose 50 hit and gain agi, nother socket (blue...ughh) thakns for the input

On LnL procs its better to use Explosive shot>Explsoive shot>Explosive shot instead of other shots in between. But be sure to not waste the last tick when u shoot another shot.

really, is it better to do it, and is it a major dps increase, or just a minor?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Antman88
    On LnL procs its better to use Explosive shot>Explsoive shot>Explosive shot instead of other shots in between. But be sure to not waste the last tick when u shoot another shot.
    that would give higher burst, but it wouldn't make much of a difference in the long run, the idle time u would be waiting could easily be used by hiting steady shot, it isn't like LnL is gonna refresh if u wait that 1 GCD extra between explosive shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

Quote Originally Posted by huangzhong9
    that would give higher burst, but it wouldn't make much of a difference in the long run, the idle time u would be waiting could easily be used by hiting steady shot, it isn't like LnL is gonna refresh if u wait that 1 GCD extra between explosive shots.
    Well in fact, It matters in the long run more than it does in the short run. When putting another shot in between you waste a couple of seconds per LnL, so you won't be able to fire as many explosive shots as you would be while waiting that 0.5 secs. This adds up the longer the fight takes.

i would try the following rotation:

1. ES
    2. BA
    3. MS
    4. SS
    5. StS

ES= Explosion shot
    BA= Black arrow
    MS= Multi shot
    SS= Serpent sting
    StS= Steady shot
    i thought id make an explenation since not everyone uses shortcuts the same way

Quote Originally Posted by freedomhunt
    rotation
    Survival Hunters don't use rotation but priorities which are as follows:

1. Kill Shot
    2. Explosive Shot
    3. Black Arrow
    4. Multi/Aimed Shot
    5. Serpent Sting
    6. Steady Shot (use only if everything other are on cooldown)

Though I don't know how tier 9's two piece setbonus affects Serpent Sting's priority (it allows sting's ticks to crit).

Sorry, i forgot to clarify, when im raiding, i use that general "Rotation" but at 20% (when you can use kill shot) i use that priority method, the rotation i use for the first 80% is almost always what i said, if i forget to re-apply Serpent sting or something because i have to switch to an add, then sometimes my rotation get a little off, sorry for not clarifying. And thanks to all those who have commented, appreciate it!

First of all, it's not close to a rotation because of the un-matching cd's making it, the rotation, reset after a very long time. So it's basically an fcfs with priority.

On the other hand, your current priority isnt really optimal.

Tbh, I didnt check your armory but I guess you at least have 2 piece t9 or t8, just one of those set bonuses makes serpent sting go past both aimed and black arrow in the priority.

So heres what would be the best priority for you:

KS > ES > SrS > BA > AiS

Oh and as to what someone else said, you should gem 20 agi all the way with your gear, unless the socket bonus of a yellow socket is something like 4 agi or 12 AP or so (just random examples where 10 agi / 10 crit is better than 20 agi). Also use the Nightmare Tear where it would yield the most dps, which is usually in a blue socket to an item with a pretty good socket bonus.

EDIT: I checked out your speccs and 0/15/56 isnt the best choice anymore, you should rather go, as you did on your secondary specc, up to Improved Stings in the MM tree, allthough the rest of that specc is really flawed.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#cZ0eVoohZx0ci0cIhtdAhsk

Is what you should go for. It is what yields the most dps just specifically for you, wasnt that nice?

To the person above...all my gems are 20agiliry and 10agility / 10crit.

i believe you were looking at my PvP spec (0/15/56) my PvE spec is the other one, im not sure if you were really confused or what. Next time, in an advise column, please actually take a close look at someones gear. appreciate the help though.

if anyone else looks at my gear, im almost posotive im in my PvP gear

10+ Year Old Account

After having read all the posts above me, I would personally recommend playing around with the spreadsheet at femaledwarf.com and doing a few test in raids or PuGs that aren't super serious.

My personal experience:

Before rocking a little Uldalawl 10 Hard-mode action tonight and after having run with this spec and the generic recommended priority of KS > ES > BA > SrS > Aim > Steady since late 3.1 without having read much up on Hunters recently, I decided it was time to read up on EJ and other sources and mess around with the spreadhseet again.
    For me, I found that the greatest DPS gain on the spreadsheet and after some reading came out with this spec and a priority of KS > SrS uptime > BA (moreso for the CD convenience here) > ES > Aim > Steady being my best bet. My glyphs for both specs gave me the best results with KS, ES, and SrS.

So, having a rare opportunity with a ret paladin providing replenishment tonight, I decided to give that a go. I got some positive results, but nothing major. (Which of course could very well be RnG loling at me anyways).

Oh yeah. I'd do the normal thing for LnL procs. Which is firing three ES in a row without clipping the DoT.

My Advice to you:

Drop 2 points in Expose weakness. Your crit is high enough to keep that at full-uptime with one point, 'specially if you got those sweet 25man buffs workin' for ya.

With those two points, put one into Wyvern Sting and the next one into Noxious Stings. Now ninja the two points from Rapid killing and grab the rest of Noxious Stings. 3% increased damage overall is a bit more handy than a slightly lower Rapid Fire CD.

Now. Resourcefulness. I know the mana reduction is pretty weak, however, the reduction on the BA CD is not. A whole bunch extra LnLs with extra BA ticks running. There's currently a debate over how many points should actually go into it for maximum DPS....I prefer going 3/3 because it makes the CD on BA match up almost perfectly with a glyphed SrS and I don't see much else better to put it in. Plug in some numbers and play around with what you like best.

As for the Hunting Party 3% Agility vs Imp Stings 30% sting effectiveness....find out works for you. Play around with it as well as your shot rotation. With 2-piece T9 the Imp Stings are most likely gonna come out on top, though.

I find that Imp Stings also has a secondary often-unmentioned utility use in Viper Sting +30% mana draining....on a fight where a boss, mob, or add has mana....popping a quick Viper Sting is pretty sweet for a quick mana burst rather than switching into Viper. Although your mana may be near-infinite in 25-mans anyways, so that part is also up to you.

Glyphs. I think your glyphs are fine, but at high gear levels with ArP I've heard that SS might come out ahead of KS or even ES glyphs. I'm not anywhere near those high levels, so I wouldn't quite know. You're probably fine with what you've got, but again, a few minutes or even just an hour or two of testing can go a long way.

Pet Stuffs: Assuming you run with 'Boon the Cat'....I'd recommend picking up a wolf for raiding. Been shown to be much more handy with their Howl ability for overall damage. Either way, your pet spec should end up looking quite a lot like this for your raiding pet.

Oh yeah! Gems. The spreadsheet gave me a 1.3 DPS increase by switching one of my red +20 Agility gems to an Orange +10 Agil +10 Crit and grabbing that extra 4 Agility from a socket bonus......so I wouldn't fret about it too much.

Edit: Post is up to date. Sorry 'bout any confusion.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roonweld
    To the person above...all my gems are 20agiliry and 10agility / 10crit.

i believe you were looking at my PvP spec (0/15/56) my PvE spec is the other one, im not sure if you were really confused or what. Next time, in an advise column, please actually take a close look at someones gear. appreciate the help though.

if anyone else looks at my gear, im almost posotive im in my PvP gear
    Acctually I checked out your secondary specc first and went on after that, I only saw the numbers on the other one.

What I meant tho was that your secondary specc wasnt viable. The specc I posted is the one that, with your gear, gives you the best dps. Along with the priority I wrote above, your only short comings should be from latency / fps or human errors.

I loaded your armory page to www.femaledwarf.com, if you were wondering.

I agree with a lot of what Milanor stated. He is not totally accurate, but enough to get you started. I have tried moving SrS around in my rotation, with 2pc T9/ 2pc T8, and my current set up. The dps does not go up, it actually drops for me. Survival hunters can choose either Srs or SS glyph. It's a personal preference and the dps gain/loss is minimal.

I will recommend KS->ES->BA->SrS->AiS->SS until I find another priority system to improve my dps. So far, I have not. I thought the 2 sets with the SrS bonuses would make it move up my priority list, it did not. I use Shandara's spreadsheet and www.femaledwarf.com to help me determine which pieces of gear will help improve my dps.

Also, when LnL procs, it is ES->wait .5 second->ES->wait .5 second->ES. PERIOD!
    You want to fire off as many ES shots as possible in a fight. ES will account for the most damage in a boss fight EVERY time, so you want to fire as many as possible. By putting another shot between each ES, you are actually firing less over the length of a boss fight, and therefore, costing yourself dps.

Many things factor in for us that most ppl don't understand. We need to stand still and fire off our priority of shots to maximize our dps. If we have to move a lot, we lose our 2nd best shot, autoshot, which causes our dps to drop. Whether that's because the boss moved, was moved, or is throwing fire at us, doesn't matter. Literally 60-65% or more of your damage will come from ES and Autoshot. So we do what we can to make them fire more often and hit hard. Also, gear and buffs scale our damage a ton. If we don't have the right buffs or a ton of 245 ilvl gear, our dps is crimped. I've been in a 25 man that had very few buffs because of the raid build and pulled only 6k on a tank and spank and wondered what was wrong. Especially, since the day before I pulled that much or more in a 10man. The difference was the buffs. None of my gear had changed and I didn't do better one fight over the other.

Learn which buffs benefit you the most and complain if you don't get them when they are available.
    Don't be elitist, it's a video game for crying out loud. Cure cancer, then you can be an asshole.

A fool and his money are soon parted, but not nearly as fast as a nerd and his tears.

Quote Originally Posted by magik8ball
    We already got our troll raid. It's called the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Soaringbiscuit
    Very good, very good. 9/10 as far as gear...but I always thought the rotation started out with Kill->Explosive->Aimed then went on to Serpent Sting-> Black arrow. Other than that, very good 8)

? There is no rotation.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.