Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: How well do you think a professional Street Fighter player would do in WoW pvp?

Who cares, why would a professional Street Fighter waste their lives away on this addicting game? They've better things to do like, hit someone.

The moral of this post is. WoW's addicting and hitting people for money is mean.

Re: How well do you think a professional Street Fighter player would do in WoW pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel
    I've actually played SF a lot, i know all about frame links, frame combos, tuck throws and what not. BTW, most of those "features" were not intended and most of those "features" exist in wow and other games. Ever heard of Quake and strafe jumping?
    WoW is way more complicated then SF, thats why balancing WoW is such a difficult task.

p.s. Thanks cydri
    1. No, all those features are part of the SF gameplay, they aren't bugs or 'not intended'. If they weren't intended, they would have removed it from the sequels. SF has been around for 20 years and still has the same gameplay mechanics that I mentioned. None of it was 'not intended'.

2. WoW is so hard to balance because it's a PvE game trying to put on a PvP mask. Battlegrounds weren't so big a problem because they were just zerg fests anyway, but when it came down to proper 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 combat, it's so hard to tweak and balance because the game mechanics aren't great for PvP. Things that work well in PvE can be overpowered in PvP. If WoW was built from the ground up intending on being a PvP game, then there wouldn't be such balance issues.

3. Name one gameplay technique I mentioned that applies to WoW? There's no frame data, tick throws, frame links etc etc in WoW. You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by CowBoyTX
    Who cares, why would a professional Street Fighter waste their lives away on this addicting game? They've better things to do like, hit someone.
    We were just chatting and I just wondered how well he'd do. Competitively, I think SF is better than WoW.

He could be if he has fast reflexes and learns to play whatever class he chooses to play.

And btw, anyone who says a button basher can win from a SF(or any fighting game that is not awfully designed) pro player is an idiot.
    <;~~~~{] -____- )|:-~=(}

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimtang
    1. No, all those features are part of the SF gameplay, they aren't bugs or 'not intended'. If they weren't intended, they would have removed it from the sequels. SF has been around for 20 years and still has the same gameplay mechanics that I mentioned. None of it was 'not intended'.

2. WoW is so hard to balance because it's a PvE game trying to put on a PvP mask. Battlegrounds weren't so big a problem because they were just zerg fests anyway, but when it came down to proper 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 combat, it's so hard to tweak and balance because the game mechanics aren't great for PvP. Things that work well in PvE can be overpowered in PvP. If WoW was built from the ground up intending on being a PvP game, then there wouldn't be such balance issues.

3. Name one gameplay technique I mentioned that applies to WoW? There's no frame data, tick throws, frame links etc etc in WoW. You don't know what you're talking about.

Im sure that chaining a shoryuken after jump + hard punch (where the game framerate drops due to bad coding popularly named framelinking) that can take 90% of the oponents health was intended. They were bugs that the SF community got used to so they were left unfixed because it actually improved gameplay.
    Thats why i gave the example of strafe jumping in Quake.
    Same thing, it was an unintended feature which revolutionised Quakes gameplay(IE: the Machinima genre was invented by Quake players) WoW has similar quirks that are used by the player for their advantage(like tauren hitboxes) albeit not the same.
    But thats not the point of your topic, is it?

The topic was will a good SF player be a good Arena player. The answer is, he could be if he is a good tactician and if he learns everything there is to know about every class and their abilities when they are solo, when combined with other classes, with certain talent specs, specific gear etc.
    Fast reaction time and reflexes are important in Arena but the stuff that was previusly mentioned is more important.

Re: How well do you think a professional Street Fighter player would do in WoW p

rofl at all you that think SF is all about mashing buttons. if you mash buttons on lan you will get dominated, the only time you can mash is online where links cannot happen because of lag/terrible netcode. so obviously online means nothing

your friend has a chance to be good at wow pvp just like anyone else has a chance to be good at sf competitively

STREET FIGHTER?

Go back to Sirlin, OP. Really.

People who have so-called "mastery" of game design or psychology like him have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. He did a several paragraph long essay on WoW (usually doing Starcraft or Street Fighter) about how he was confused why people would ever use their mouse to move. In-fucking-credible. It's no surprise that after this, he mysteriously never opened his mouth about WoW again.

In short, I'd imagine if you're trying to compare Street Fighter IV, a fighting game, a gaming genre mostly devoted to finding bad programming and exploiting it, you're probably a Sirlin fanboy.

Fighting games are a relic, and the only people who actually advocate their use as NOT completely broken entertainment are the exploiting arcade-dwellers and Koreans who devote their life to measuring the amount of frames between a throw-break, and explaining to some new guy that they decimated why it's a fair move, even if it's obnoxious and unfun

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playi...in-part-1.html

"PLAY TO WIN, GUISE, LOLOLOL"

I sincerely hope he gets cancer.

What the fuck is sirlin and why the hell do you expect me to read that wall of text?

You know what the worst thing about WoW is? It's not the shoddy PvP bandaid on a PvE game. It's not the easy raid bosses. It's not the absurd amount of patches with constant class changing mechanics on abilities or anything like that. It's fuckheads in the community like yourself.

You know why people think WoW players are retards, go read your post again and go ahead and read your post history. I'm sure it's filled with gems like the one you've just posted. I don't blame them for treating keyboard warriors such as yourself like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reversal
    Short answer.
    As good as any other noob.

Reflexes and reaction time has nothing to do with Arena.

I believe reaction time has a lot to do with arena. The faster you can get off that skill in the situation that requires it, the better. I've lost arena matches because of slow reaction time. I couldn't get off the bop in time, or my partner couldn't respond to my call outs faster. Another proof of this fact is the use of Ventrilo. Almost every team uses Ventrilo or some sort of team speak program, to get faster responses & reactions.

What the fuck is sirlin and why the hell do you expect me to read that wall of text?

You know what the worst thing about WoW is? It's not the shoddy PvP bandaid on a PvE game. It's not the easy raid bosses. It's not the absurd amount of patches with constant class changing mechanics on abilities or anything like that. It's fuckheads in the community like yourself.

You know why people think WoW players are retards, go read your post again and go ahead and read your post history. I'm sure it's filled with gems like the one you've just posted. I don't blame them for treating keyboard warriors such as yourself like shit.

You know, its quite amazing how you started from being gentle and wanting a decent conversation about your thread to flaming the fuck out of everyone because they don't aggree with what you want to be the answer to your thread(or that they think it is a shit game just as I)

I know it can hurt when ppl take you on smth you take very srsly, but you're overdoing it

And stop blaming the wow community!
    Conquered and claimed the epic Chex thread and turned into a lolkitty and failpicture thread making it produce more then 10 pages every minute.

"I didn't read your post, but I'm sure it's terrible!" :

PERFECT!

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account

you're all a bunch of noobs.. Real Life is basically a huge series of RNG.. and you all seem to be alive somehow.. so deal with it
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Quote Originally Posted by Asjes

You know, its quite amazing how you started from being gentle and wanting a decent conversation about your thread to flaming the fuck out of everyone because they don't aggree with what you want to be the answer to your thread(or that they think it is a shit game just as I)

I know it can hurt when ppl take you on smth you take very srsly, but you're overdoing it

And stop blaming the wow community!
    I didn't flame everyone, just one guy.

People were saying you can beat professions SF players by mashing buttons (WTF) and I said no that's not right. Then one guy who had nothing to contribute just purposely decided to be a dick with his retarded comments. I post back and then I'm the one who's flaming everyone? Give me a break.

righ... winning well balanced beat em up game by button mashing, sure its gonna happen. i calmly issue 1000 USD wager against anyone who will be button mashing to beat me in 1 of 100 matches of Tekken 5R. Lets see how many of you will be up to the challenge...

(if he levels all the way to 80 and thinks his character sucks, he can't just go to the character select screen and pick another character)
    Just have him level a Rogue and that won't be a problem.

Erm... every game has certain rng in it. For example the recoil in counter strike (although good players usually get the first shot right), critical hits in beat-em-ups (DoA, Tekken and I believe als SF4) and variable damage in RTS games

And at the guy above me: why shouldn't that be a problem? Rogues aren't the best 1v1 or arena class any more by a LOOOONG shot
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

A friend of mine plays Street Fighter IV professionally (travels interstate every few months to compete in comps and does pretty well) and we were discussing WoW and I said that there's PvP scene and the groundwork is based upon RNG due to hits, crits etc etc. Now he thinks that if anything about the core gameplay is left to chance, then it couldn't really be considered competitive.

Basically, I know that Street Fighter requires a lot of skill, but that's a 1v1 game right. Like in WoW pvp you're always relying at least on one other person to do well, so it's not just about how good you are.

I said to him that he should play WoW and compete in arena to see how he goes, but he said that he wouldn't even bother because of the lag, counter classes (if he levels all the way to 80 and thinks his character sucks, he can't just go to the character select screen and pick another character) and that he doesn't believe that RNG mechanics could be applied to a competitive videogame and be based solely on skill.

I can see his point of view. I've played him on Street Fighter a bunch and he kicks my ass so damn badly. Like some combos you gotta connect within one particular frame and stuff like that, so I don't doubt that his timing and reactions would be impeccable, but for WoW with the lag, gear, RNG and counter comps and all that....I dunno.

I basically ended it jokingly with 'put up or shut up' kinda thing. He shouldn't bag WoW pvp until he's tried it, but I do think that he'd be able to dominate it if he tried it out.

Just throwing it out there, how well do you think competitive fighting game players would do in WoW pvp?
    Yes and no.

He would probably be a good player, but the fact is... Teamplay is the most important thing in arena, and he has 0 experience at it.

....right.

Yeah, pro SF players losing to people randomly hitting buttons. You have no idea what you're talking about LOL.
    My friend is a professional Mortal Kombat player. My strategy relies on block and button spam.

I win most of the time (but if I lose, I get crushed).

RNG affecting arena just means that it's harder to do something like single or double elimination.. It's better to evaluate in a more statistical manner, so that the team's ability to respond to freak occurrences is taken into account.

It's just a higher level of skill, and it's part of a lot of real games. Saying it can't be competetive because it isn't deterministic is silly.

2D 1v1 with flat damage values is not the same as 3D 2v2/3v3/5v5 with variable damage and CC effects
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.