Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ladder system for dungeons?

So i had this idea i was toying around with. Maybe a cool ladder system for dungeons could be implemented? I mean, as a hall of fame of groups that completed the instance fast. I'm thinking realm Ladder, Region ladder and world ladder. People could compete on who finished the instance the fastest.

This would be like the achievement system though. Just a showoff, and no real big rewards. Maybe just a title for the ones who have the best time on the realm or something. I dont know ;P

Thought just struck me like... 5 mins ago, anyone have any comments?

Re: Ladder system for dungeons?

more epeen stroking is just what this game needs

So basically, your argument against it is that it will turn bastards into bigger bastards?

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruk
    Epeen is all that is left in the game.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !

15+ Year Old Account

My argument against is that... Why?
    Actually, we prefer "Ethically challenged" now.

The game is based around achieving things. Both on a personal and public level. I don't see why this should be a bad idea at all. We already have arena, and rated battlegrounds are incoming. Now, why should not a time-attack ladder system for dungeons be implemented?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnan
    My argument against is that... Why?
    Because it... i don't really know... Would be cool? It makes more sense than many of the achievements in game if you ask me.
    Gather 100 mounts.
    Gather 100 Vanity pets
    Earn 10000 gold through looting
    Hold the realm high score for Gundrak Heroic

EDIT: and that was a question. Not an argument.

Sily idea beczause it'd lead to people creating groups for heroics and demanding you link achievements for end raid bosses and be fully kitted from there.

If anything the better idea would be to have something like the timed event in the culling of strat (tuned to that level as well, so hard but doable with no raiding equipment) in every heroic and have an achievement/title/mount for getting all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by isride
    Sily idea beczause it'd lead to people creating groups for heroics and demanding you link achievements for end raid bosses and be fully kitted from there.

If anything the better idea would be to have something like the timed event in the culling of strat (tuned to that level as well, so hard but doable with no raiding equipment) in every heroic and have an achievement/title/mount for getting all of them.
    Look, please ask questions if you don't understand the idea. Not instantly start making posts against it.

There would be NO rewards for it, other than the feel of achievement you get. Why do people in WCIII keep playing for the #1 spot on the ladders? Why do people even bother raiding to get the best gear in game?

People would still keep on doing instances normally. And some people would put together a group of friends to get the best time in the instance.

sounds like a fun idea

i would prob just take the best tank and 4 best dpser's in my guild and then just try it
    Don't play dumb with me, it's a game you are going to lose.

Look, please ask questions if you don't understand the idea. Not instantly start making posts against it.
    Welcome to these forums. Forums are for opinions, and there are many people here who rush to post their opnion, without discussion, usually saying LOL bad thread bad, and /thread and also facepalm pictures... just wait, someone will soon link one.

good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Gron
    Welcome to these forums. Forums are for opinions, and there are many people here who rush to post their opnion, without discussion, usually saying LOL bad thread bad, and /thread and also facepalm pictures... just wait, someone will soon link one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fail
    So i had this idea i was toying around with. Maybe a cool ladder system for dungeons could be implemented? I mean, as a hall of fame of groups that completed the instance fast. I'm thinking realm Ladder, Region ladder and world ladder. People could compete on who finished the instance the fastest.

This would be like the achievement system though. Just a showoff, and no real big rewards. Maybe just a title for the ones who have the best time on the realm or something. I dont know ;P
    What would happen is that the server top guild would grab their main tank, healer and 3 top DPS, zerg down the instance and get the fastest time. IF they bothered to do that in the first place, I certainly wouldn't.

Ranking in the ladder would have no relation to skills since it's so easy to out-gear the 5-mans and turn every boss into tank-and-spank. All that would matter is who got the best geared group, which you can figure out even without a ladder system.

Nah what this game needs is more 30 minute raids where you tunnel vision bosses and pick up "phat purpz" then feel you actually accomplished something.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauerLOL
    Nah what this game needs is more 30 minute raids where you tunnel vision bosses and pick up "phat purpz" then feel you actually accomplished something.

^^Win^^

Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring
    What would happen is that the server top guild would grab their main tank, healer and 3 top DPS, zerg down the instance and get the fastest time. IF they bothered to do that in the first place, I certainly wouldn't.

Ranking in the ladder would have no relation to skills since it's so easy to out-gear the 5-mans and turn every boss into tank-and-spank. All that would matter is who got the best geared group, which you can figure out even without a ladder system.
    I seriously believe the winners will be those who are more creative and inuitive on ways to clear the instance. Offcourse gear will be a major factor, but hey... World of Warcraft? Anyone? A game based around character improvement will ALWAYS favor those who has improved their character the most. This argument will go against every single activity in wow, because gear will always give you and upper hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauerLOL
    How about we increase the amount of players and trash?

So you will need more than1 hour to get the group together and 2 hours of clearing annoying trash before you kill the boss?
    The huge amount of unneeded timewaste will stop some players from raiding, which forms a new elite.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

I seriously believe the winners will be those who are more creative and inuitive on ways to clear the instance. Offcourse gear will be a major factor, but hey... World of Warcraft? Anyone? A game based around character improvement will ALWAYS favor those who has improved their character the most. This argument will go against every single activity in wow, because gear will always give you and upper hand.
    My point was that there is no room for creativity because of the gross over-gearing. Already well geared groups just chain-pull and AoE all the trash and nuke down bosses. Measure how long it takes you to run from the entrance to the boss, that's how long the trash takes. Then divide the boss HP by the total DPS of your group (which is a direct function of gear) and that's how long it takes for the boss to die.

A ladder system might work if the dungeons were not zergable, and if there was a better ranking system than just time. However, in the current game it simply makes no sense.

So basically, your argument against it is that it will turn bastards into bigger bastards?
    but also is it really needed?

you want pve rankings, then there is progressive raiding.

you want a 5 person competition, then there is arena.

you want epeen stroking, then there is nerd points and vanity items.

tbh i just see this as a waste of time on blizzard's part implementing this timing/ranking system and then producing web ladders when there are bigger fish to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring
    My point was that there is no room for creativity because of the gross over-gearing. Already well geared groups just chain-pull and AoE all the trash and nuke down bosses. Measure how long it takes you to run from the entrance to the boss, that's how long the trash takes. Then divide the boss HP by the total DPS of your group (which is a direct function of gear) and that's how long it takes for the boss to die.

A ladder system might work if the dungeons were not zergable, and if there was a better ranking system than just time. However, in the current game it simply makes no sense.
    Yeah, i see your point.

I still think it's not all too far fetched. The fastest one to zerg the instance would still be the one with the high score

but also is it really needed?

you want pve rankings, then there is progressive raiding.

you want a 5 person competition, then there is arena.

you want epeen stroking, then there is nerd points and vanity items.

tbh i just see this as a waste of time on blizzard's part implementing this timing/ranking system and then producing web ladders when there are bigger fish to fry.
    I seriously can't see why the achievement system in overall would make any more sense at all than a ladder system of time-attack instance clearing. When every single second counts, rotations mistakes or even positioning fails start to ruin your chance of high positions.