Deleted

should i regem for avoidance?

i currently have 37K unbuffed HP, which is a lot for someone who does not raid regularly in a guild. as i mostly run heroics and the odd onyxia/VoA in pugs, people praise me for my high HP. however, i have the feeling i take a bit much damage.

my armory is http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...27gall&n=Nzall (armory is down for the moment). i almost solely stack STAM, and i wonder if for the things i do, i should be gemming for dodge/STA or DEF/STA.

Re: should i regem for avoidance?

Stamina ftw

Paladins are avoidance tanks. Don't stack stam until you've reached avoidance caps. A paladin is an amazing tank because he mitigates most incoming attacks, not because of his health pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by L2theuka
    "OMG Rock is so OP NERF NERF NERF, paper is fine though" - Scissors

If you can stay un-crittible, then yes. The order should be 540 defense (550 is nicer cause it's 6% avoidance across the board), then block cap (102.4% combined avoidance and block (which is technically mitigation, not avoidance, but meh)), then stam stacking.
    We are the internet we dont care about you. We just want to poke you with a pointy stick
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    Furthermore to hate gearscore for 'denying you access to raids' is like hating your credit score for denying you access to a loan.

It all depends, paladins make very good avoidance and good EH tanks. Neither is better then the other, its all a matter of personal taste. But due to the high amount of Diminishing returns on avoidance I would not suggest socketing for it, whats better 15 stam or ~.1% avoidance, if you would rather have the avoidance then go for it.

if you're going to mix up your gemming just use some defense/stam or defese gems. Gemming for defense nets more avoidance than pure avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    if you're going to mix up your gemming just use some defense/stam or defese gems. Gemming for defense nets more avoidance than pure avoidance.
    If you're already at the 102.4 mark you get more from dodge or parry than from defense because the block gained from defense is wasted. iirc 10 defense ~ 4 dodge, 4 parry, and some block rating.

As far as gemming its a trade off of about 1% avoidance for 1k health for me. I'm thinking of regemming all stamina.
    Would you rather have 50% avoidance and 30k health or 40% avoidance and 40k health? Avoidance is saving healers mana but increasing your chance of death from consecutive large blows. Do you die from healers going OOM or from damage spikes? Damage spikes are dealth with better by having more stamina.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Quote Originally Posted by draticus
    If you're already at the 102.4 mark you get more from dodge or parry than from defense because the block gained from defense is wasted. iirc 10 defense ~ 4 dodge, 4 parry, and some block rating.
    Don't forget the additional chance to miss as well that you get from defense, that's what makes pure defense better than other avoidance stats. From what I recall, warriors looking at avoidance sets typically get to around 580 defense before stacking other stats, it may not be the same as paladins but it's something to keep in mind.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jona
    Paladins are avoidance tanks. Don't stack stam until you've reached avoidance caps. A paladin is an amazing tank because he mitigates most incoming attacks, not because of his health pool.
    Are you kidding me? We are an avoidance tank with less avoidance than a druid and dk?

If you are not doing progression content it honestly does not matter.

However stam is general considered best because avodiance is on a DR, its based on rng, and it does not mitigate magic damage.

Ergo stam or Effective Health is considered the best way for progression.

But sense you are not doing progression, it just really does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by draticus
    Nope, after the dodge nerf. The net avoidance gain from dodge/parry/miss is point-for-point better then dodge rating.

@OP: It's impossible to make any claims without seeing your armory, but you should be meeting socket bonuses that provide stam.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    ...people praise me for my high HP.
    If you pug, stay with life. If youre in a pug, and a frostresistence-wearing druids exceeds your lifepoints by 127, he will be MT. Screw your 25% parry, 30% dodge and 2500 block value.

I hope you got those brewfest stam trinkets, and plz put that pvp enchant on your shoulders.
    Stam >>>>>>>> commons sense >>> avoidance
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Yes, sadly people that run pugs don't think past HP levels.