Indepth PVE healing guide

WARNING: huge wall of text..

I put this together for my guild figured I would share it and get some feedback.

resources

http://www.wowwiki.com/Paladin

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...06674973&sid=1

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t36779-p...imple_answers/

http://www.wowwiki.com/Item_level

http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_power_coefficient

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t36779-p...imple_answers/

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t64649-h...h_3_2_changes/

Now Holy pally talents and builds

Endurance build:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...yEHbpKK,,10433

has all the improved blessings extra crit goodness from the ret tree. Heart of the crusader is also good for your raids dps if you don’t have a prot or ret with it anyway. Pursuit of justice is also a handy spell to have it has saved my tail a few times. There are some points to play with here if you don’t want the PoJ or you move the points from imp conc into imp loH or divinity from the prot tree. Aura mastery is also an optional talent here depending on your role and what your guild is doing.

Hard mode build:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...CGMMydz,,10433
    some points to play with here as well if you have a steady tree or prot pally that takes improved devotion you can move those points into imp HoJ, Imp Conc aura, or imp LoH. Your raid leader will thank you for Taking Divine guardian during a lot of hard modes.

holy stats:
    intellect

increases mana pool by 15 per point
    increases spell power by 2 per 10 points through talents
    increases spell crit by %1 per 166.66 Int

Spell crit

45.91 crit rating per %1 crit

Spell power

pretty straight forward but I'll list the coefficients for spells here

Flash of light %100

Holy Light %166

Holy Shock %81

Sacred shield %75

Stamina

1 point of stam = 10 hit Points

MP5

This effects constant regen while casting it's how much mana you will regen per 5 seconds while casting. Not a huge source of mana so it shouldn’t be sought after or stacked. But doesn’t hurt so don’t avoid it either, just don’t gem for it.

Spirit

this affects how much mana you regen while not casting outside of the 5 second rule. Since paladins don’t stop casting during pve encounters this is a wasted stat

it’s pretty easy to tell here our #1 stat is easily Int. but a good mix of stats is always a good idea. Depending on your play style, which we will touch on later, you want to stack almost exclusively Int for a Holy Light build and spell power for a flash build.

Pally healing Strategies.

There are currently 3 common healing strategies for:

FoL spammers: focus more on spell power and haste. The objective is to make your foL big and fast enough to keep you tank up, also very good for raid healing.

HL spammers: focus is on largest mana pool possible, spell power is a waste because most of your heals will over heal anyway. Regen trumps throughput in every way here (mostly through int, IE: DP, replen, crit etc which is all gained through int)

Balanced healers: These are the best and brightest. They know when and how to use each spell based on the fight and incoming damage. You will want to gem and enchant mostly the same as a HL spammer because you want to be prepared for any situation, including spamming HL for several minutes if needed.

Regardless of which play style you utilize there is still one spell that must be used carefully and we will review that now.

Beacon Placement:

there are 4 basic ways to handle your Beacon of Light depending on the fight and your raid comp.

Beacon MT: this is mostly for when you are raid healing, or when you are assigned to a tank and you don’t completely trust your raid heals for the particular fight. (Also for sarth 3d zerg, and 5 mans where you are the ONLY healer). It ensures that every heal you cast also heals your MT.

Beacon OT heal MT (or visa versa): this is actually overpowered for certain fights. It allows you to basically solo heal the last 2 boss's of VoA and is extremely powerful for the first 2 boss's of northrend beasts in ToC. Should only be used in fights where you have extreme confidence in your raid heals or there is no raid damage.

Beacon self, heal the raid: This is really only used in a situation where you have 2 competent tank healers other than you in the raid and your job is to raid heal. IE: 3 pally's in a 10 man 3 healing. It makes your job of raid healing slightly easier because you automatically heal yourself as well every time you heal someone else.

#1 why does the pally stack Int?

with kings one Int gem is

22 intellect

4.4 spell power (with talents)

roughly %.33 crit (which can equals about 4 mp5 if chain casting holy light with a 1.3 second cast time)

330 mana (1.375 mp5 from divine plea if used on cool down, .825 MP5 from replen)

all math blatantly stolen from elitist jerks pally forums.

I'll use myself as an example, if I replaced 10 of my gems with other examples:

SP: 230 spell power instead of 200 int? that’s 163 more healing from holy light and 349 extra healing from flash of light at the cost of 3300 mana, roughly 60mp5 (using the math from above)

#2 why would Holy Light be your primary spell?

Simple, no other healing spell in the game has the single target output potential that holy light does. So why wouldn’t you spam it if you can?

You can't get the global cool down below 1 second, so for example my holy lights average about 12k (check the logs if you don’t believe me) my flashes average about 4800. With the judgment buff up my holy lights are about 1.46 seconds and my flashes are 1.04 seconds. So right now my flashes have potential of 4615 HPS per target (double that for beacon) and my holy lights are 8219 hps (again per target so x2 with beacon).

Given the coefficients in order to get the same HPS out of flash it take 1917 MORE spell power to equal the same HPS potential of holy light with all else being equal.

#3 so given these numbers you have shown, and the fact that you refer to your healing style as holy light spamming, does that mean you don’t cast anything else?

Hell no, a good healer of any class knows what spell to use when. And knows how to manage his mana. There are several fights we are doing as a guild now that are nearly 10 minutes long... you will NEVER be able to spam holy light non stop for 10 minutes straight simply wont happen. But the objective is to get as close as you can and recognize low/no damage situations and when to use plea and when to flash. but if you look at my logs my healing is about %80 holy light even though it's only about %45 of the spells I cast.

#4 my over healing runs about %60+ on almost every fight, isn’t that a waste? Aren’t I better off conserving mana more and using more flash?

Short answer: no, and I'll tell you why. First off pay attention to who I'm healing. None of the logs you can find for me at any point will have less than %70 of my healing directed at a tank. In todays content in order to keep a tank alive they have to be at or very near full health to survive. Ask any off them they will tell you without heals it's very possible to be 2 shot in ToC25 (or especially ToGC) once you consider all the debuffs and everything else being thrown at them. Unexpected spikes are common so being prepared is key. Aside from that if you can find or remember a true example of the last time a tank died because I went OOM I'll give you 1000 gold (and no it didn’t happen against general either =P).

Re: Indepth PVE healing guide

I'd suggest bolding//underlining title lines, etc. As to make it less of a wall of text, and more of an organized wall of text that you can skip to certain areas of.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    I'd suggest bolding//underlining title lines, etc. As to make it less of a wall of text, and more of an organized wall of text that you can skip to certain areas of.
    I acually tried for some reason my work computer wont let it take, Ill pretty it up when I get home (I just cut and pasted it from guild forums)

Cluttered and filled with opinions. 4/10.

Is it really necessary to elaborate on every talent in the tree?

And FYI you're very wrong about imp LoH. It's not even usable in arena (and who gives a shit about BG's?), good as a filler if you have someone else covering imp wisdom or mana tide, increases the value of the divinity glyph, and amazing in hard modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopzz

Is it really necessary to elaborate on every talent in the tree?

And FYI you're very wrong about imp LoH. It's not even usable in arena (and who gives a shit about BG's?), good as a filler if you have someone else covering imp wisdom or mana tide, increases the value of the divinity glyph, and amazing in hard modes.

appreciate the feedback. I admit the phrase "most raiding pally's will skip it" might be to much and needs to be touched up, because it does have situational uses. but other than that I appreciate you retyping what I said about it not being usable in arena, and bout it being a good filler talent... anything else I already put in there you you want to retype or reword after telling me it was wrong?

Improved Lay on Hands: 2 points Grants the target of your lay on hands spell %20 damage reduction for 15 seconds in addition reduces the cool down of your lay on hands spell by 4 minutes.
    This is an ok skill. It has its uses but most raiding pally's will skip it, and it's useless in an arena build because you can't use the skill there anyway. If you need it to get deeper into the tree at any point it can't hurt but I wouldn’t allocate points here otherwise

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopzz
    This here.

When I make up FAQs I try to use a monotone un-opinionated voice- Thats not to say I won't add personal experiences, but its more of a "This is why I personally skip this talent and get this one instead due to the following reasons".

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    This here.

When I make up FAQs I try to use a monotone un-opinionated voice- Thats not to say I won't add personal experiences, but its more of a "This is why I personally skip this talent and get this one instead due to the following reasons".
    good points thanks, I removed the section on talents and just left the "cookie cutter" specs with some comentary and cleaned it up a little to break things up and make it a little easier on the eyes.

Sorry, bad guide. It might be enough to try to explain to your guild master what the hell are you doing stacking int (must of classes think it's stupid) and our big overhealing, but it won't help any new holy paladin.

And about "Beacon Placement":

Jesus. Holy fuck. What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiss
    Sorry, bad guide. It might be enough to try to explain to your guild master what the hell are you doing stacking int (must of classes think it's stupid) and our big overhealing, but it won't help any new holy paladin.

And about "Beacon Placement":

Jesus. Holy fuck. What the hell?

anything helpfull to improve upon it then? it seems to have helped several of our newer pallys. and what was wrong with the beacon placement section? I actually added that because I was specificly asked that from a new pally that just dinged 80. suggestions to improve it are welcome and appreciated. "wtf' isnt very constructive or helpfull at all lol.

Quote Originally Posted by aminidab
    anything helpfull to improve upon it then? it seems to have helped several of our newer pallys. and what was wrong with the beacon placement section? I actually added that because I was specificly asked that from a new pally that just dinged 80. suggestions to improve it are welcome and appreciated. "wtf' isnt very constructive or helpfull at all lol.
    Never

beacon

yourself

on a normal 25-man encounter (a.k.a not faction champions or really random dmg going around)

just never.

As someone already stated, your guide is full of opinions and lack from important info (that you can find on every mmo forum's paladin page). And the beacon part... again... Jesus.

Never

beacon

yourself
    To be fair it made some sense pre 3.2 when you couldn't have 2 beacons on the same tank. Now though yeh - except for the occasional tankless moment like P2 Mimi, there's not any good reason to beacon yourself.

Never

beacon

yourself

on a normal 25-man encounter (a.k.a not faction champions)

just never.

As someone already stated, your guide is full of opinions and lack from important info (that you can find on every mmo forum's paladin page). And the beacon part... again... Jesus.
    I agree for the most part, but also listed very specific times where is can be used and work, although very rare. the 3 healing a 10 man thing with all pally's is something I've done and beaconing myself there worked wonderfully. as far as the beacon self heal tank I can't come up with an example of where thats a good idea so it will probably get removed.

Never

beacon

yourself

on a normal 25-man encounter (a.k.a not faction champions or really random dmg going around)

just never.

to answer the last part you edited in again, I removed everything that came accross as opinion with the talents sections. the beacon thing was changed as i see your point and not sure how that made it in anyway lol. what important info is missing?

Just a few things to add:

I can't see anything about Sacred Shield in your post (except for the SP scaling) maybe you ought to add some info about it to the beacon section. (like beacon this tank SS the other tank)

Your links:
    Most of your links are broken with "..." in them -> learn to copy links.
    You have too many references and they should be at the end of your post (1 quote per site is enough and maybe you can mention which threads are important there)

Quote Originally Posted by aminidab
    to answer the last part you edited in again, I removed everything that came accross as opinion with the talents sections. the beacon thing was changed as i see your point and not sure how that made it in anyway lol. what important info is missing?
    lack from important info (that you can find on every mmo forum's paladin page).
    But you could have explain how seal of wisdom is amazing, how to judg often can regen mana. Macros and add-on can improve your game alot. What enchants to use can be useful to a very new player.

And again, beacon is the most amazing skill in the game atm. There are so many ways you can use it, and, if you want to talk about them, please make your research, you may find some very useful stuff.

Macros and add-on can improve your game alot.
    My favourite macro would be:

#showtooltip Flash of Light
    /cast [modifier:alt target=player][target=mouseover,exists][ ] Flash of Light

What it does: Selfheal if alt is pressed, mouseover if your mouse is over a friendly target or if those 2 do not apply heal your current target.
    This macro can be applied to any Heal or Buff used. (Holy Light, Sacred Shield, Hand Spells).

Question - I don't heal all that often myself, but I will spec holy if absolutely needed. Should I BoW my self or BoK when I'm the only paladin in group? Generally, I BoK. I know 5 man doesn't matter, but what about 10 man? Forget about 25 man. I'm not there.

15+ Year Old Account

Kings

Swampmoose, thanks