Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: druid tank spike dmg

Hum well, maybe is the low avoidence, it seens u took a lot of pure stam gems and stuffs.
    For me is easy tank him in 25 man, and i dont even have 50k hp buffed.

Maybe you stay on fire, that is a big damage .

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    In any case, spike damage is seemingly Blizzard's tanking philosophy right now. Bosses are capable of blowing up a tank in just a couple hits to help counter the high avoidance, defense, and low health of tanks in current content, yes?
    See, fixed it for you - the health pool of tanks are actually low compared to what they will be in Cataclysm, and that added with the high avoidance is why tanks die to spike damage.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra
    my guild leader seems to prefer tanks whit shields on ToC Beast boss becase they take less spike dmg.

and tbh iv seen high spikes on myzelf aswel while tanking them my my hp can drop to 20% when i get an impale and melee hit at same time

(i got 55K hp 30K armor and 48% dodge 7K ap)

weird thing is is blocking realy so effective ? i mean we got savage defence that does about the same thing doesnt it
    Your guild leader realize that a druid can prolly absrob 1500-2000 almost every melee hit on beasts? If not, go slap him with a fish. (if the druid has good crit and ap, he can do that with savagae defense)

10+ Year Old Account

savage defense is a great ability, and was needed by the druid class, but in no way shape or form is it equal to block.

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    If you read my post closer I was not saying that it was the 'bring back from the dead' part of AD but instead the ability that triggers if you were going to go below 35%. And you don't actually need to go below 35% for that to take effect. If the hit was going to bring you below 35% then AD will reduce the damage by 20%. Hence an ability that was going to do, say, 70% damage will only do 56% damage, and the pally will never actually go below 35% even though AD is being used.
    I do believe they've fixed this, so that only the portion that brings the pally under 35% is reduced. If the ability would do 70% damage, it would do 65% damage + 0.8*5% = 69% damage.

To the OP, take a combat log to world of logs or whatever, then post it for us or look for yourself to see if you're actually taking that much more damage or if it's just spam healing or what. There's not much point in us speculating over it, when we have no idea what the exact circumstances were.

Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex
    See, fixed it for you - the health pool of tanks are actually low compared to what they will be in Cataclysm, and that added with the high avoidance is why tanks die to spike damage.
    You're just all kinds of stupid, aren't you?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Deaths
    savage defense is a great ability, and was needed by the druid class, but in no way shape or form is it equal to block.
    No, it's quite equal in general case, or maybe even better. A druid with ~50% avoidance, a decent amount of crit, and attack speed similar to a boss will have SD up for nearly every hit. For bosses with slower attack speed, it's even better.

The *only* case where it's not roughly equivalent is add tanking on heroic Anub, which is a terrible fight mechanic that I'd expect them to change as more guilds get up there. It violates the whole spirit of "bring the player".

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezee
    Check the combat log from the fight. What you are likely seeing is 4 healers spamming the MT and one guy healing you so it looks like his bar isn't moving much.
    ^

Given the %'s you mentioned I'm surprised no one has brought up that:

Barkskin = 20% mitigation
    Divine Protection = 50% mitigation

Coincidence? Probably...

15+ Year Old Account

Barkskin is on a 1 min cooldown you so you can use it proactively instead of reacting. Most of the time you know when that big hit is coming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    It's normal.
    Paladins are currently overtuned and outperform any other tank by a very large margin.
    Go tank Anub 25 heroic adds as a paladin tank, then tell me if they are overtuned.
    I guess I'm back? Sighhhh....

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun
    Barkskin is on a 1 min cooldown you so you can use it proactively instead of reacting. Most of the time you know when that big hit is coming.
    And with 4 pc. T9 its on a 48 sec cd (if I remember correctly). I use barkskin frequently throughout a fight. I will often utilize every cd available to me at some point during a fight. Might as well use them to make things easier on healers instead of letting them sit there unused.

As to the OP, in doing strict 10 man toc hm, it does appear as if I take a little bit spikier damage than our paladin MT did (we swapped roles recently, I was feral dps and he went ret for me to tank). However, I have 52k health raid buffed and he had 46k. These days, effective health is king, and druids are the premeir effective health tanks. We may take more melee damage than some of the other tanks, but melee damage is such a small portion of the total damage in current content. The only way to effectively combat that is having a huge health pool.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    No, it's quite equal in general case, or maybe even better. A druid with ~50% avoidance, a decent amount of crit, and attack speed similar to a boss will have SD up for nearly every hit. For bosses with slower attack speed, it's even better.

The *only* case where it's not roughly equivalent is add tanking on heroic Anub, which is a terrible fight mechanic that I'd expect them to change as more guilds get up there. It violates the whole spirit of "bring the player".
    sorry, what i meant is the value absorbed cant get as high as block can from say a warrior or paladin stacking block...

Pally sitting at 3500 block would translate into a feral tank running 14,000 AP which, please correct me if I am wrong, I dont believe is possible in bear form

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

yeah shield tanks can make block sets for wierd cases like anub's adds, but when you're getting hit for 18k+ damage from gormok (I can't say I remember the exact damage, only that if I get hit 3 times without a heal I'm dead) you're not gonna want the block set. My guild hasn't gotten anywhere with 25m ToGC but on our attempts with beasts I don't feel that I was taking any more spike damage than the other 2 tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    I do believe they've fixed this, so that only the portion that brings the pally under 35% is reduced. If the ability would do 70% damage, it would do 65% damage + 0.8*5% = 69% damage.
    Oh really? I'll have to look into that. It certainly needs to do that if they haven't done it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!