Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Aff PvP Vs. Destro PvP

(sorry for the new thread)

Im currently destro in pvp with a 0/17/54 build.. fairly standard. I wouldnt mind trying out an Aff pvp build.. anyone know spec/s and glyphs used?

And im noticing alot more locks going Aff for pvp in 3's and 5's but mayb not so in 2's or am i mistaken? Is this just a 3.2 trend and why? will this change in 3.3?

thanks.
    Rag.
    "A real man makes his own luck" - Billy Zane, Titanic.

Re: Aff PvP Vs. Destro PvP

You'll probably see more affliction locks next patch in arena, because Destruction is getting a pvp nerf with the loss of burst damage on Conflag, it'll be a bit harder to keep the pressure up without the big numbers destruction locks are capable of currently.

Affliction locks have pretty good self survivability even in arena and the dots do enough damage to keep a good amount of pressure on a target, keeps the healer busy between dispelling and healing a target etc. etc.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...1O,ryM-q,10676

Is the spec and glyphs I personally use. Glyphs are more of a matter of preference, it also changes depending on what kind of pvp you're doing [2v2/3v3/5/5/bg's] as you can see, all of my glyphs are pretty much meant for survival, but I do mostly 2v2 [for shits and giggles] and bg's. I haven't done a 3v3 in forever, but I would imagine you would want to get glyphs that do a bit more damage, as you don't need to worry about survival -as- much, as you should hopefully have a healer all of you heh.

My spec is pretty cookie cutter, the only difference between mine and some other affliction ones is I put 3 points in Death's Embrace over 3 point in Eradication.

It's mostly so when people are low on health and run out of my reach, my dot's do even more damage to them, allowing me to keep pressure on them once I get back into range.

Glyphs: Soul Link, Howl of Terror, Corruption, Shadowflame. You should get Shadowflame and Soullink in all cases.

Specc: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IMxMburNkVAMhkt0Gbhkhb
    You can change the 2 points from imp. Healthfunnel in imp. healthstone, if you want.
    You can also drop Soul Siphon if you never need the execute and put the points in suspression & imp coa. Some people like to get other things like imp fear, but i prefer this specc, it has probably the greatest offensive power.

People don't go Aff in 2s because its a shit bracket, you just can't win against Warr/Heal and other Meele/Heal teams unless they are retarded. As Destro with a Disc Priest you can atleast try to burst them fairly good and you can survive longer than 20 seconds like with a 2dps team.

@Drooid
    I think death's embrace only works if you reapply the dots. Also glyph of siphon life is pretty wasted, glyph of Shadowflame is better for survival, having the option for a 70% slow is invaluable.

go to afflic, its a lot funner and imo better for all arenas
    i use this spec personally http://www.wowwiki.com/index.php?tit...ktZxc%3AMwVzc0

Quote Originally Posted by wadeol1
    go to afflic, its a lot funner and imo better for all arenas
    i use this spec personally http://www.wowwiki.com/index.php?tit...ktZxc%3AMwVzc0
    Wat

15+ Year Old Account

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Anyone can walk into a Destruction spec and do "ok"
    Good players can walk into a Destruction spec and do "well"

Anyone can walk into an Affliction spec and do "poorly"
    Good players can walk into an Affliction spec and do "ok"

The curve is just different. Affliction requires thinking about combat in a completely different way, one that most people can't do fast enough in order to keep up in Arenas.

R.I.P. YARG

While I'll admit the above is true, it does depend greatly on what your composition is as well. If you're running RLS the way you go about things is a lot different than you would for say Shadowplay. One Afflic even really good Afflic will do poorly, the other a good Destro Lock would just be 'okay'.

Still waiting on the return of SL/SL personally. Oh wait. :'(

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Anyone can walk into a Destruction spec and do "ok"
    Good players can walk into a Destruction spec and do "well"

Anyone can walk into an Affliction spec and do "poorly"
    Good players can walk into an Affliction spec and do "ok"

The curve is just different. Affliction requires thinking about combat in a completely different way, one that most people can't do fast enough in order to keep up in Arenas.
    Right here. I don't do Arena (yet) but have a lot of experience in BGs and World PvP...As Affliction I find I have to assess quickly what spells to use. Whereas, most Destro Locks I see just run in, Stun and kill it all.
    It's not infectious, but it is technopathological.

With the shitload of cleaves comming up I'm prolly going Affliction in 3's again, after being Destro for a while. When they choose to zerg me, I do less than half the damage I could be doing as Affliction and it's just boring to play when being interrupted 24/7.

My glyphs would probably be SL/HoT/Corr, never seen the point of having Shadowflame. It's not like I'm not slowed if a melee is on me, so what's the deal with us both being slowed? And I play with a rogue so it would be less needed.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Proyouknow
    With the shitload of cleaves comming up I'm prolly going Affliction in 3's again, after being Destro for a while. When they choose to zerg me, I do less than half the damage I could be doing as Affliction and it's just boring to play when being interrupted 24/7.

My glyphs would probably be SL/HoT/Corr, never seen the point of having Shadowflame. It's not like I'm not slowed if a melee is on me, so what's the deal with us both being slowed? And I play with a rogue so it would be less needed.
    I was under the impression that the combo was Glyphed Shadowflame + Teleport = NUKES.

I could be wrong tho, as I have never actually tried this.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Woony
    People don't go Aff in 2s because its a shit bracket, you just can't win against Warr/Heal and other Meele/Heal teams unless they are retarded.
    L2p

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    I was under the impression that the combo was Glyphed Shadowflame + Teleport = NUKES.

I could be wrong tho, as I have never actually tried this.
    Teleport just means Charge/Grip/Spring/HoF for me. It's mainly used (against cleaves) to survive a Bladestorm/Healer CC for me, I rarely get to stand and actually nuke a target for more then a few seconds.

yes, affl is going to be veery popular in arena 3s and 5s (2s depends on what comp you play)
    I played some affl-warrior-Hpala games on PTR, and we basically won every single game, don't know if the oponents just sucked but yea :/ even pwned RMPs. The warlock told me, warlock+warri+random heal can pwn anything

duels I won against basically every class ( except ret pally who goes all out on me) except warlocks. destro burst is still verry high, but I don't know how it looks like from a healer's perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Woony
    Glyphs: Soul Link, Howl of Terror, Corruption, Shadowflame. You should get Shadowflame and Soullink in all cases.

Specc: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IMxMburNkVAMhkt0Gbhkhb
    You can change the 2 points from imp. Healthfunnel in imp. healthstone, if you want.
    You can also drop Soul Siphon if you never need the execute and put the points in suspression & imp coa. Some people like to get other things like imp fear, but i prefer this specc, it has probably the greatest offensive power.

People don't go Aff in 2s because its a shit bracket, you just can't win against Warr/Heal and other Meele/Heal teams unless they are retarded. As Destro with a Disc Priest you can atleast try to burst them fairly good and you can survive longer than 20 seconds like with a 2dps team.

@Drooid
    I think death's embrace only works if you reapply the dots. Also glyph of siphon life is pretty wasted, glyph of Shadowflame is better for survival, having the option for a 70% slow is invaluable.
    ok i have a few problems with this post and sum questions that im gonna ask.
    aff in 2's with any healer is really good.. i think aff/disc is the op atm cos locks can mana drain practically anything and if that doesnt work then dotz will do the rest and then just surviving the cd's of a mage rogue combo.(srsly i dont know why this team loses)

as for glyphs i wouldnt mind sum reasoning behind each choice and why not say others.
    why not haunt or unstable aff or demon circ?

i understand that we may not have any aff locks in 2's with 2k rating +, but new information rather than wat i already know would be great.
    "A real man makes his own luck" - Billy Zane, Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarokex
    ok i have a few problems with this post and sum questions that im gonna ask.
    aff in 2's with any healer is really good.. i think aff/disc is the op atm cos locks can mana drain practically anything and if that doesnt work then dotz will do the rest and then just surviving the cd's of a mage rogue combo.(srsly i dont know why this team loses)

as for glyphs i wouldnt mind sum reasoning behind each choice and why not say others.
    why not haunt or unstable aff or demon circ?

i understand that we may not have any aff locks in 2's with 2k rating +, but new information rather than wat i already know would be great.
    Glyphs: You only have three slots and while Haunt, Circle and UA are not neccessarily bad glyphs, but there are much better glyphs.
    Shadowflame is a must have most times, because CoEx is only 30%, having the option for a 70% slow is simply awesome.
    Soullink should be a no brainer in most cases as Affliction, you'll get zerged and 5% less damage taken is a lot.
    Corruption is a great damage glyph, those proccs can really score you a kill.
    Howl of Terror decreases the cooldown on your only instant CC besides deathcoil by 8 seconds. Its a great defensive glyph, if you want to take another defensive glyph, Id prefer it by miles over the teleport glyph.

i currently am rocking out to pvp affliction, and to tell you the truth i like it more than destruction. yah the big nukes and seeing 5 digit crits backto back is fun, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9McMcbXNhYU )

but i think its alot funner outlasting a fight against 2-3 people, i love having to manage my spells right, its just more interesting, more brain power i need to use which really excites me, last night i fought off 3 people, i felt really good, and it was fun, but i have to admit, they were noobs because it was two warriors and rouge and they couldnt stop me. but none the less, I feel like it takes more work to play affliction which in turn gives a better "omg yes" feeling.

i speced into deaths embrace becuase of the damage boost you get when the target is low on health. its a good kill shot when you get a free shadow bolt or use drain life.

i dont really play areana, so w/e

It really all comes down to the bracket and comp. Destro is big burst but more casting. Affliction is much less burst but more mobility.

I used to play Affliction but found it boring. I've been running Destro and it's so fun. People will say Destruction is "easier" and a "no brainer" spec but I disagree. Personally I found Affliction to be that way: DoT everything, LOS, re-DoT everything, LOS.

That's an oversimplification but so is saying Destro is super easy. If you fail to kill someone in your burst you have to find a way to survive 12 seconds until you can reset the match. And without and healing from Affliction that's hard to do (depending on who you're fighting).

Also Destro is definitely viable in 3s and 5s. RLS is a great comp as is WLS (though this is a different playstyle). I've not done 5s but there are plenty of high rated Destro teams out there.

So I think the answer is whichever spec you're better at/enjoy more/are willing to learn is the key factor. I bet there are even amazing Demonology Warlocks out there despite the gimpness in that tree.

aff is DOT everything,and everything heal,CloS,shield,IB..................your DOT , u get slow.. stun.. u die
    destro is cast interupped cast again interupped again ,u get stun.. slow.. u die

Quote Originally Posted by vkei
    aff is DOT everything,and everything heal,CloS,shield,IB..................your DOT , u get slow.. stun.. u die
    destro is cast interupped cast again interupped again ,u get stun.. slow.. u die
    LOL! I QQ a lot but this is silly. We're bad but not that bad!

Wtb Shadowfury for a trained spell and replaced with a different spell. Maybe something that turns Shadowburn into an AoE effect with medium range? =D

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkis2001
    LOL! I QQ a lot but this is silly. We're bad but not that bad!

Wtb Shadowfury for a trained spell and replaced with a different spell. Maybe something that turns Shadowburn into an AoE effect with medium range? =D
    Shadowfury is one of the best PvP spells ingame. Would be sick as baseline spell.