Few questions concerning 10man heroic Anub'arak!

Hi everybody!

As I havn't found a satisfying answer on the internet, I hope to get one from this forum.

I am from a 10man raiding guild and we keep on wiping to heroic Anub'arak. We have already completed Glory of the Ulduar Raider and killed Algalon - so I guess we should be skilled enough to also kill heroic Anub'arak. We had like 10 wipes at 1-3%, but still havn't managed to get the kill. As we are a 10man raiding guild we only have ilvl 232 gear with a few pieces ilvl 245 from toc hero or crafted/emblem items and therefore can't compete with toc 25 geared people. I don't think we can really further push our individual dps (already fully buffed (including the eventbufffood and damage pots)), so I am brainstorming for tactical perfections.

We have 13 members in our guild and do not have a lot of members to pick from (but we still have a rather huge class diversity). Additionally we are a rather "social" guild and want all of our members to be treated as equal as possible and don't just let one sit out because they are not the "ideally suited" class for this fight. We are preferably looking for tactics to still do the content, although it might be a bit harder than with the ideal setup, but we know that Anub'arak is doable with nearly any reasonable tank/healer/dd combo.

We usually play (to give you an example) with 2 prot warriors, 2 heals (disc priest/resto druid) and 6 rather caster heavy DDs (for example: elemental shaman (me), fire mage, shadow priest, destro lock, unholy dk, ret pala). The additional members in our guild are a survival hunter, holy priest and holy pala (hardly ever available). In the end we have to go with whatever is available that particular evening.

We narrowed our tactic down to:

First Phase 1: Burn Anub - kill 1st set of adds - burn Anub till he burrows (which happens at 55-60%) and ignore the second set of adds until phase 2.
    Phase 2: kill the adds of phase 1 - kite Anub/kill scarabs
    Second Phase 1: Burn Anub - kill 1st set of adds - burn Anub and allow 2nd set of adds to submerge.

We easily get him down to 30% with everyone alive and at that timepoint (+- 5-10 seconds) the second set of adds submerge (we do not have the dps to burn the 2nd adds and bring Anub to 30% before he burrows again). When he hits 30% I hit bloodlust and we all use our cooldowns and damage pots and nuke as hard as possible and ignoring the adds (except for the interrupt). But we can't bring Anub down before the adds emerge and 2 new have spawned and the four adds are just ripping our OT and than healers apart.
    I think we also optimized our healing, too. The raidhealing is mostly done by my totem, vampiric embrace and/or JoL, our disc priest stays on the tanks and the frost debuff is handled with a priest shield and direct heals from our druid (who keeps hots rolling on the tanks as well). But in every case it falls apart at the exact same point - the moment, when 4 adds are present.

So, finally, here are my questions:

1.) Is it better to also kill the 2nd set of adds of the 2nd phase 1 in phase 3 and let the new set of adds burrow?
    2.) We experienced that the adds would only start to submerge, when they are under 75% hp. Therefore I have to burn them a little bit in phase 3 to get them to submerge, which is damage missing on the boss. Is this correct or do they still submerge at a later timepoint (even with full health)?
    3.) How much does Anub heal (given that the raid isn't healed too much) and therefore how important is a MS effect on him? And does MS even work on Anub?
    4.) Has anyone tried nature resitance (from totem or hunter aspect)?

If anyone hast additional constructive suggestions (despite "exchange player x with player y") I would love to hear them!

Thank you in advance!

Okkrina

Re: Few questions concerning 10man heroic Anub'arak!

The adds dont have as much health on 10 man, do not let them submerge, kill the second set of adds with some passive aoe such as chain lightining, pestilenced diseases, living bombs, shadow priests dots etc.. it should be just enough to keep enough pressure on boss to get him to 30% before he submerges again.

If you dont have enough dps to kill the adds and to get the boss down on time you might want to consider hitting bloodlust when the second set of adds come and take p3 easy, its not that much of a pressure for healers after all, healing stream totem should be enough to keep whole group alive unless they have penetrating cold n them of course.

1) Matter of opinion, I guess. I'd totally go for a yes. Our group usually does a damage stop at 32%, waiting for the 2nd set of adds. As soon as they're on the ice, trigger boss to 30% (usually adds are on the ice at around 10seconds +/- left on the submerge timer of Anub), bloodlust, nuke adds, nuke Anub.

2) As far as I know, they still submerge when being at full health since I doubt that our protection warrior gets both of them to 75% on his own.

3) He heals a lot at the start of P3, less after that but still a lot. An MS effect is (imo) mandatory and if not mandatory, makes the whole thing a lot easier. Use the hunter if possible (also for point #4) for the aimed shot debuff and if not, the shadow priest at least has to have the -20% MS debuff.

4) Yup, nature resistance helps a lot with the leeching swarm. Mainly on the tanks since the raid shouldn't take much damage of it but on the raid the ticks go down to 175-200 instead of 250 as well.

We usually have pretty smooth kills with this strat. As soon as he hits 30% we pop bl and nr totem/aura. Finnish off the adds then go to anub again. When the bl hast worn off our elemental Shaman goes assist heals, and only dpsing adds. The nr totem aura does quite alot as you resist the dmg it will heal him less.