Tank build for Northrend Beasts worms.

My guild is wanting to try to use a lock tanking the stationary worms during phase 2. I was wondering if this build would work. if not what should i go for.

http://wotlkwiki.info/talent/warlock...31301310200000

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Tank build for Northrend Beasts worms.

... Why?

I mean, I'll help... but again, why is this necessary for your specific guild?

R.I.P. YARG

Why..?

You need 2 tanks anyway for the first part of the fight. Why would you like to try using a Warlock instead of the other tank? The only reason I see is if you are doing hard mode and want to use a druid as a offtank so you get more dps from him but still.... The warlock could do about the same dps.

For regular im pretty sure it could work but I dont see the point

We use a Lock tank on the immobile worm as the total damage they take is lower than a tank would. We then use double tanks on the mobile worm and they swap to make the poison/flame switches quick and easy. You don't need any special spec to do it, just a healthy HP pool.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    We use a Lock tank on the immobile worm as the total damage they take is lower than a tank would. We then use double tanks on the mobile worm and they swap to make the poison/flame switches quick and easy. You don't need any special spec to do it, just a healthy HP pool.
    We do the same thing as well. Just pick up soul link and you'll be fine.

Just as a summary for those who asked why you would use a caster tank:

3 Tanks : Lower impale dot damage and enough tanks for p2 to place 2 on the moving worm and 1 on the stationary.
    2 Tanks + caster tank : Higher impale damage.
    2 Tanks + no caster tank : High impale damage + extremely difficult to handle p2 as the tank needs to remove the poison from ppl while tanking the moving worm.

The latter is pretty hard to execute and the first one requires 3 well equipped tanks and more dps.

BTT: I don't see any point in going that deep in demo considering that it offers nothing special and if you picked up demonic Resilience because you want to tank him with your Voidwalker, you should at least skill iDemonic Brutality.
    If you really feel like respeccing get something like this: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...5oq6y31,,10676

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    2 Tanks + no caster tank : High impale damage + extremely difficult to handle p2 as the tank needs to remove the poison from ppl while tanking the moving worm.

The latter is pretty hard to execute and the first one requires 3 well equipped tanks and more dps.
    We're doing that and have no problems with it.

Just have everyone close enough to the tank of the other worm so they can move to near that tank and remove their poison themselves.

15+ Year Old Account

This is how my guild does heroic Northrend Beasts

2 Tanks, 6 healers.
    Gormokk - We use /range 10 from DBM to spread out. Only one person ever gets hit with Firebomb at a time, and most of my guild is fast enough to move in time. Snobolds don't hurt, and die fast, and that gives us 5 healers to keep 2 tanks alive. We switch at 2 stacks of the bleed, and if the first bleed isn't quite up a rogue/warrior disarms him. I believe this delays the impale timer. If it does not and I am incorrect, it mitigates the amount of damage the tank takes while he has 3 stacks of the bleed, and the other tank picks it up soon after.

Beasts - As soon as Gormokk goes down, a paladin casts Hand of Protection on the last tank, which removes the bleed. One picks up each worm, and as soon as the first poison patch goes down they get dragged close together, but not so close that both tanks get the knock back. DPS and Healers continue to spread out using DBM so that the poison hits 1 or 2 people at most. These 2 people run straight at the tank with the fire debuff. If it's melee that get the poison, they have already positioned themselves the correct side of the worm to get knocked back towards the correct tank, and all can make it there in under 4 seconds regardless of knockback.

Icehowl - If you can't do this on normal you can't do this on heroic. There's no strategy change here.

R.I.P. YARG

We run 3 tanks to spread impales better with one tank floating for the worms. Floater's job is to taunt Dreadscale and let the tank with burning bile break people out of the poison if need be, keeps tank damage down since the bile isn't ticking on the one with aggro and it gives people less distance to cover should they get the poison. They're also picking up a worm if it means the other tank would have to run through the raid with bile.

15+ Year Old Account

Three geared tanks is a good idea for any raid, with one or two of them being geared for dps (and knowing how to do so - not all tanks can dps on the same character)

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    We switch at 2 stacks of the bleed, and if the first bleed isn't quite up a rogue/warrior disarms him.
    I thought he was immune?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogge
    I thought he was immune?
    He is immune to disarm on Heroic. You can disarm him on normal though. The OP didn't specify which difficulty his guild is attempting.

15+ Year Old Account

Its all blurring together in my head. Initially we had one of our feral druids swap to bear form for a while. Now that they're all geared I think they just do two.

R.I.P. YARG

For 10 man 2 tanks should be plenty, for 25 we go with three tanks to use the easy poison/flame swaps like Gerian's guild does. The problem with a tanky build is you have much less dps in phases 1 and 3, if that's not a problem for your guild than it could work.

If you are not the only source of replenishment in your raid, I wouldn't get the soul leech talents at all. For a magic tanking build, I'd actually go http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...6XZj,rbI,10676 because while the Felguard's damage reduction is less than the Felpup's it does a lot more damage. It also increases your damage, which could be important for holding agro. Conflag is less worth it when searing pain produces more threat. And if you wind up taking too much damage still, the Felpup is still an option at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillia
    For 10 man 2 tanks should be plenty, for 25 we go with three tanks to use the easy poison/flame swaps like Gerian's guild does. The problem with a tanky build is you have much less dps in phases 1 and 3, if that's not a problem for your guild than it could work.

If you are not the only source of replenishment in your raid, I wouldn't get the soul leech talents at all. For a magic tanking build, I'd actually go http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...6XZj,rbI,10676 because while the Felguard's damage reduction is less than the Felpup's it does a lot more damage. It also increases your damage, which could be important for holding agro. Conflag is less worth it when searing pain produces more threat. And if you wind up taking too much damage still, the Felpup is still an option at that point.
    /facepalm

Warlock pet threat =/= Warlock threat