arena and anxiety

One of the reasons that I never managed to like arena is the anxiety that it gives me.
    >The importance of winning: loser gets nothing causing anger towards FoTM setups you may face
    >Closed space that gives you the feeling of illegal underground brawl stadium.

anyone else feeling like that inside arena?

I am so looking foward to rated BGs.

PS: I get a feeling that I may get laughed at for such a weird post but I do not care

Re: arena and anxiety

uhhh.....

it's a game? so...... no.

i get a little mad sometimes, but usually only when i screw something up, just calm down.

nah i feel the same, the feeling of pressure etc, messes up my game.

In BG's pvping with my arena buddy is alot more enjoyable because i know theres nothing to lose.

Played arenas for quite some time now, decently rated and still get "arena shakes" sometimes :<

Quote Originally Posted by manos1234
    One of the reasons that I never managed to like arena is the anxiety that it gives me.
    >The importance of winning: loser gets nothing causing anger towards FoTM setups you may face

PS: I get a feeling that I may get laughed at for such a weird post but I do not care
    i always get anxious when i pvp because i know its me against another real live person... its my skill vs. someone else's skill heads up, and if i lose it means i suck. where as in pve if i lose i can rationalize it off as, well maybe that content is too hard, or maybe i need better gear.

pvp just moves so fast and so much of it is reacting as much as acting and im not good at knowing what to do in response to what my opponent is doing.

but at the same time, when i win its very exhilarating and satisfying... its just the losing that makes me feel inferior and crappy - thats the part i get anxious about.

Well, I don't know about ANXIETY...

But we recently invited an amazingly skilled player to our threes, and we go for a 3-1 win ratio with him.
    But since his PR isnt nearly close to us, we usually win like 3 a win and lose like 14.
    So every supposed 3-1 win ratio we lose 5 points.
    Feels like the only thing we're doing is wrecking our rating lol.
    Sort of pisses me off.

In 2's I just have fun with my friend.. if we get facerolled i really don't care, having fun with my friend
    sitting at 2200 right now just collecting points until my threes team works itself out.

It doesn't really give me ''bad'' anxiety, it more along the lines of helps me not make mistakes like i would in a BG :P

15+ Year Old Account

I agree with the OP arena is dumb wtb rated BGs. PvP with objectives like a real battle are where its at none of that BS American Gladiators crap.
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

This is an interesting topic.

Compared to BGs, there are many things that cause it to be more stressful:

1. Losing. You lose an arena match, your score goes down. You lose a BG match and your penalty is receiving "less" honor (still a gain).

2. Pressure. Arena is all about *killing* the other team. There is no Farm or Stables to guard, or strategic areas/objects that help you win without killing/being killed. This puts a lot of pressure on you: Kill that guy NOW before his healer comes out of CC. Interrupt that healer from healing NOW. DON'T DIE I'M CC'D. STOP FUCKING RUNNING OUT OF LOS I CAN'T HEAL YOU.

3. CC/Burst. The #1 most stressful aspect of WoW. The feeling of futility these can give you is really annoying. While this exists in both Arena and BGs, it is more heavily stressed in Arena by orders of magnitude.

4. Burden of responsibility. In Arena, you have at most 4 teammates. 5v5 tends to be the least stressful arena bracket for this reason. 2v2 tends to be the worst, because it's *all on you*. If you mess up, it is out there in the open and everyone knows you messed up.

5. Low margin for error. You screw up once and the match is likely over. You die, that's it. If Arena was more like Smash Bros. "stock" games, where each player had a certain number of lives (or if it was a "best out of 3" match system), I think that would greatly reduce the stress factor here. However, this would also make matches take a lot longer.

6. Disconnects. Tied in with #1, one disconnect often means a loss, without even giving you the chance to compete. Hell, often this can happen whil the queue has popped and it still won't let you in if you log back on, even if the match has not started.

All in all, I still like Arena, even if it is stressful. But I am definitely looking forward to rated BGs as a welcomed change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunzar
    Well, I don't know about ANXIETY...

But we recently invited an amazingly skilled player to our threes, and we go for a 3-1 win ratio with him.
    But since his PR isnt nearly close to us, we usually win like 3 a win and lose like 14.
    So every supposed 3-1 win ratio we lose 5 points.
    Feels like the only thing we're doing is wrecking our rating lol.
    Sort of pisses me off.

In 2's I just have fun with my friend.. if we get facerolled i really don't care, having fun with my friend
    sitting at 2200 right now just collecting points until my threes team works itself out.

It doesn't really give me ''bad'' anxiety, it more along the lines of helps me not make mistakes like i would in a BG :P
    3:1 winratio gawd... nice ! and that below 2200! wow

GAD:

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is an anxiety disorder that is characterized by excessive, uncontrollable and often irrational worry about everyday things that is disproportionate to the actual source of worry. This excessive worry often interferes with daily functioning, as individuals suffering GAD typically catastrophise, anticipate disaster, and are overly concerned about everyday matters such as health issues, money, death, family problems, friend problems or work difficulties. They often exhibit a variety of physical symptoms, including fatigue, fidgeting, headaches, nausea, numbness in hands and feet, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, bouts of difficulty breathing, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, insomnia, hot flashes, and rashes. These symptoms must be consistent and on-going, persisting at least 6 months, for a formal diagnosis of GAD to be introduced. Approximately 6.8 million American adults experience GAD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...xiety_disorder
    walls o' textual eyerape
    IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES THEIR ANAL VIRGINITY

Haha...just because he gets anxiety over arena doesn't mean he has an anxiety disorder.

There is an innate sense of stress in arena. For people who don't care about winning or losing, it's not a big deal, but for those who do, it's stressful.

I don't get stressed in Arenas until my warrior shouts at me for not healing him through some burst. Then again, I'm not playing at high ratings, might be worse there.

What? ???
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

I have only arenaed 10 times since WoTLK and i held my breath thru all 10 fights :-[

Quote Originally Posted by Bye

GAD:

Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is an anxiety disorder that is characterized by excessive, uncontrollable and often irrational worry about everyday things that is disproportionate to the actual source of worry. This excessive worry often interferes with daily functioning, as individuals suffering GAD typically catastrophise, anticipate disaster, and are overly concerned about everyday matters such as health issues, money, death, family problems, friend problems or work difficulties. They often exhibit a variety of physical symptoms, including fatigue, fidgeting, headaches, nausea, numbness in hands and feet, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, bouts of difficulty breathing, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, insomnia, hot flashes, and rashes. These symptoms must be consistent and on-going, persisting at least 6 months, for a formal diagnosis of GAD to be introduced. Approximately 6.8 million American adults experience GAD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...xiety_disorder
    SO that`s why i`m .... ok.... good thread. actually had to learn something for a living out of it.Thanks for the post.

Rogues don't do buffs or other group things. If you want a hug ask the Paladin.

I dont really get stressed during a game for losing or winning but I do get very aggravated against retardedly easy comps to play, plate cleave used to be pretty bad but beastcleave and wizard cleave are wrecking right now from burst. Nothing more skill less to me than facing an Elemental Shaman/Destro Lock on Ruins and get 3 shot within a matter of 2 or 3 seconds after Heroism and no way to react fast enough to counter it. PvP isn't balanced, it's currently World of Castercraft right now.

Quote Originally Posted by crayven
    What? ???
    have you seen the scene with the cage here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-8DJboUMyA
    something like that (except that I am not spiderman and there is nobody outside watching)