Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Unable to hit 6k dps with my gear (I'm arms)

Please guys I need your help with my warrior that in raid is not able to hit 6k dps during a static boss fight. Max dps output I reach is around 5-5.5k during static fights and 4-4.5k during dynamic fights. That's strange, because I think that with my gear I should be able to push more than 6k during first boss of TotC 25 for example (especially during the fight with the first miniboss). I can perform 5k of dps there and I think is too low for my potential. Can you suggest me the best rotation I can do? Bladestorm on a single target is good to use?
    Here you can find my gear: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...otem&n=Elendyl

Give a look and tell me if the stats are well balanced or not (I think I have to much critical strike rating). Consider also that I always eat hearty rhino for arp and drink elixir of armor piercing. With these 2 self buffs I reach about 72% passive armor pen. I can increase my arp rating with other equip pieces I have, but to do this I will reduce my hit rating, so I prefer not to do it. What do you think about this?
    Please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Unable to hit 6k dps with my gear (I'm arms)

switch out your gems with full armor pen, use nightmare tear gem, replace your banner trinket with greatness card, spec into improved overpower, get rid of weapon master.

forgot rotation sugestion: bladestorm, rend, mortal strike, overpower, slam (or possible execute)
    thats the starter rotation after that it becomes a proc challenge, generally its execute>overpower>mortalstrike>slam

and yes bladestorm for single targets

-You have WAY to much passive ArP if your gonna use GT.
    -Your dps is suffering by using a 3.1 speed weapon.

That was first glance...but those alone are a huge difference.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Battousai
    -You have WAY to much passive ArP if your gonna use GT.
    -Your dps is suffering by using a 3.1 speed weapon.

That was first glance...but those alone are a huge difference.
    ^^ This.
    You have 50% ArP passive, and an extra 16% from Battle Stance. You could drop 10% of that and get STR gems, and benefit. Because 56% is soft cap with Grim Toll.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Do H ToC 5man grab the Axe. That with a Zerking enchant is still better then a fast iLevel 245 item

Definitely get rid of that hit gem in your chest you're already over cap.
    Your weapon is pretty awful for an arms warrior (3.1 weapon speed=garbage)
    The fact that you don't have imp overpower is kind of mindblowing, Also if you have commanding prescence without booming voice what's the point.

Those points in unbridled wrath are kind of pointless unless you use heroic strike in your priorities.

As per rotation
    Rend>Bladestorm(When rend has 6 seconds at least)>MS>Overpower>Execute

And if you're getting fancy Throw heroic strikes in there when over 70 rage when MS is on CD.

But really ditch that 3.1 Polearm it's bad.

As per your over the softcap of ArP. It still scales better than Strength for DPS. But really you have Titanium razorplate+Spikeguards and A noble's deck should be a small purchase which will warrant a small DPS increase>Banner

There is a LOT which can be done in order to improve although in all honesty, your weapon is a big cripple to arms dps and if you really do output 5500 dps consistent your rotation is very likely already fine.

If you ever get a hold of any of the Ilvl 232 3.5 or 3.6 speed weapons, their base damage average outdoes your current and therefore scale better with Slam/OP/MS which should consist of somewhere around 50-60% of your share of dps in a single target fight.

Now, deep wounds, as it stands, is not subject to weapon speed normalization. Therefore, each of your crit "added value" from deep wound is diminished by the speed of the weapon.

Lets pretend you dont have access to any 232 weapons currently and let's see how we can improve your dps.

First, Gemming. I see you have 708 unbuffed ArP with grim toll. Now the concept with ArP is that since it scales with itself, there comes a point where it is better than Str for warriors but that point, is when you can reach soft cap via a proc with roughly 20% uptime (grim toll/mjolnir runestone). The hard cap is along the lines of 1400 so unless you food+potion for ArP, all your current armor pen gems are NOT better than strenght because your current ArP + grim toll proc doesn't cap you.

You have 2 alternatives here, Regem some of your orange gems (or your actual 3rd purple gem) into ArP in order to hit 788 ArP (might be sightly below you'd have to check the exact number; didn't check for my toon as I was exactly at 1400 w proc) or, always food/potion for ArP.

As arms, the effect of ArP/grim toll proc is sightly less significant than it is as fury because you have fewer cooldowns you can time with it in order to take full benefit of the proc. Also, it does not scale with Rend and Deep wounds, obviously, which on a standard fight, are a bigger share of your total dps than it is as fury. Because of that and also because of the Above, I would actually suggest you regem towards full Str. On the other hand though, if you plan to abuse the grim toll proc for specific fights with cleaving effects involved, you might rather accept to have sightly lower output on single target fights just for thsoe situationnal events. Twins hard if you stack them close enough and especially anub25 / anub hard would be those kinds of fights where waiting on a grim toll proc to use either (or both even) Bladestorm / Sweeping Strikes on the 100% armor ignore proc would be much more than a marginal increase in your dps.

Also, not having 2/2 improved overpower gimps your dps a little. It's not just the 50% crit on OP itself that you look foward into here, it's the 50% increased chance to proc deep wounds once every 6 seconds. The sole extra deep wounds from that talent will grant you over 100dps with your current weapon (in a raid encounter) and even more once you get a hold of a slower weapon.

50% extra crit every 6 seconds => roughly 1 extra deep wounds application every 12 seconds.
    With 5k AP, your dps gain from AP is 5000/14 = 357 dps. So the "average weapon damage" used in the calculation for deep wounds is
    (245 + 357)*3.1 = 1866
    So each deepwounds applications deals a total of

1866 * 1.10 * 1.04 * 1.30 * 0.48 = 1332 damage
    (Wrecking crew, blood frenzy, trauma, deep wounds coefficient)
    which leads to 111 dps

That's how much dps from this sole talent and with very poor rounding down of your actual attack power contribution in raids. Kings + might + strenght of earth totem + 10% AP buffs should all get you well above 5000 AP.

I suggest you drop 1 point from weapon mastery (since you need either 18 expertise + 2/2 weap mastery) or (22 expertise + 1/2 weap mastery) to actually be dodge capped and then drop one more point form imp execute to get those 2 points into improved OP.

Another thing about gem. It has been shown already and for a while now that gemming for crit is not good for either warrior specs. It is true that crit means impale and deep wounds but the amount of crit rating required to improve your crit is too much for it to race up with what Strenght gives you (and to another extent ArP when you can break soft or hard cap as discussed above)

You should only gem orange with str/crit if it's for meta bonus(ill get back to that later) or if it's for a red/yellow +6str combo bonus. Everything else should just be straight red either ArP to soft Cap then Str all the way or just str all the way.

Also, you should change your Meta. Because of blue requirements, it was shown that using 21 agi/3% increased crit damage meta alongside with a nightmare's tear (+10 all stats) instead of a purple gem outdoes 21 crit/3% increased crit damage due to the extra +10str you can gain from turning that second 10str/15stam gem into straight +20 str (or ArP whatever).

One more thing about your gem choice. You have 3 oranges that are str/hit. You should only ever get hit rating if you are below the 7% soft raid cap(if your raid leader is cool enough to always put you with a draenei) or 8% otherwise so your current 8.45% hit wastes .45% hit which you could drop with 1 or 2 of thsoe turned into better gems.

Ok that is all for the gems/gear/spec aspect.

As for dps for single target, it goes in a priority list which can almost be translated in a 6 seconds rotation. The priority list is as follow:

Rend - OP - MS - Execute - Slam

Standard rotation is, uppon applying/reapplying Rend do

MS - X - OP - X cleanse and repeat where X is Execute whenever availible or Slam when not.

I know this seems like doing against the above priority list but it's in order to allow for your first rend tick to trigger OP. Any movement fight which makes you waste a GCD every now and then should be played so that what you sacrifice is always X.

Due to fast weapon, it is possible that your average execute dmg deals more than MS but due to the likelyness of it beeing procced consecutively, it is still best to not delay MS or OP.

But as I mentionned above, if you do a consistent 5500 dps with your current weapon/build and gear, you are probably not so far from a very good execution already.

I hope this helps you out. I apologize if it lacks some organisation.
    I will try to check this thread back if you want absolute numbers to confirm my saying.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Thank you all guys! I tried my warrior after the modifications you suggested me. I had a nice increase of dps.