Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What do you need to be a good Priest in Arena?

I’ve been playing a Disc priest in PvP since S4, suffered S5 (vipersting?) and didn’t play much during S6. Came back a little bit for S7 but couldn’t get past 1600ish (always 2v2) (was shadow before, and only did PvE, now I don’t do PvE).

I am very good at BGs which doesn’t mean anything, I have all my abilities bound to keys, I don’t keyturn, I have lots of Addons that really tell me what’s going on, etc. However, I can never seem to go beyond 1500-1700.

I grew tired of being the focus and having to pop every possible spell to survive the burst. I’ve always had the latest “honor” gear (that’s where you start when you want to do arenas, get all the honor gear you can, and go). I have vent and always do good on 1v1 outside arenas (in bgs sometimes more). Ppl uses to thank me for keeping 2-3 alive during a BG.

But when I enter an arena, I get focused and eventually, killed.

I tried shadow then, got all the shadow gear (yes, all again). (Deadly/Furious) and it’s the same. (if not worse).

I don’t want to be the best priest (i will never be) but I wanted to have fun. I will eventually quit WoW because it frustrates me to be the “kill the priest, now”.

I know I make mistakes sometimes, but some other times, I really don’t know what to do. I know how to SW a sheep, how to dispel, try to chain CCs, etc., but that doesn’t seem to work. I feel like I’m missing something.

Am I the only one?

I read people saying “i got to 2200, 1800, 2500, etc.” and all I see is my failure.

Partners? Tried a few. Rogues, hunters, etc.

On the other hand, I enjoy playing BGs sometimes, maybe because I do much better there, which doesn’t mean anything.

:’( I’m frustrated.

Re: What do you need to be a good Priest in Arena?

Try teaming up with a lock. Not only is it a great comp, but you can be sure YOU won't be the one they're sitting on

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzygnome
    Try teaming up with a lock. Not only is it a great comp, but you can be sure YOU won't be the one they're sitting on
    LOL

Try play as resto shaman in arena 2vs2! Is pure pain...

If your that good maybe its your arena partner that doesnt match better rating? You should be able to go atleast +1800 rating with your gear/"skill" and a good partner(for exampel rogue, DK, lock, warrior, hunter etc etc)

First of all u need gear, lotsa stam and resil... Being a priest, the more gear u get the stronger u feel. Make sure to always protect yourself, dont stand in the open and always be rdy for a switch unto u. U will need to learn how to tank each class or best way to stay alive. However with all the massive burst double dps, its quite hard to stay alive if your partner doesnt keep u alive. Priests need good partners, priests are only strong because their partner helps them or put enough pressure to make other team go defensive.

Fakecasting will help u survive vs rogues, cancel your cast after 0.5 sec, to make him waste kick or ..Rogues will destroy u, if u wont manage to make them waste some kicks. If your bad at fakecasting, cast flashheal when your fear is ready, so when they manage to kick your heal u can fear them. However they probably will break it, but it can give enough time to be rdy for healing again.

Being a priest u decide where the fight is fought, if they target u, u can pull their dps behind a pillar or decide where u wanne be. Choosing the right option will win u fight. You'll want to pull the dps away from his healer to make it harder for him. If the dps is stupid, u can get kills by pulling and your partner setting up cc chain and gibbing.

Besides that vs warriors , power aura addon is really helpfull if u make it show when overpower is up. U wont survive a warrior unless u can see when overpower is up so u can fakecast or stop healing. If he hits u with it, and reduces your healing to 25% your basicly raped. Its really important that u can see his proc and u will be able to survive long enough for your partner to gib.

Besides that, choose the correct moment to use your shadowfiend, make a macro that u can use to fearward your shadowfiend. For healerfights, making sure your shadowfiend doesnt get feared can win u the game. Making sure fear is rdy to fear the oppponents shadowfiend or other cc is key too. Otherwise making a macro to dispell your fiend works too. If u loose by not getting enough mana because they cc your fiend, u will need to learn to find the best moment to use it. Vs druids dont use it unless the druid is under pressure, or he will cc u or the fiend.

Play offensive when u can, discpriest have quite alot of burst. Helping your partner at the right moment with some nukage will help making the kill. Offcourse it depends on which setup u face.

Even with good gear double dps is quite hard, nothing u really can do about that, get a partner who knows how to keep u alive and make sure u win vs other healers.

With a rogue u can play really offensive, but he needs to be good, since he can die fast too. A warlock partner is fun because they mostly go for him, so u can really win the fight by playing good. Offcourse the warlock must be good and knows how to keep his pet alive and kite and resummon a new pet when they try to gib it. A warlock gives u alot of freedom to heal, dispell, cc and such. Use alot of mindcontrol when playing with a lock. A good fear + mindcontrol is enough time for the lock to summon his pet.

My favorite is a good hunter, althought there arent many good ones. A hunter has alot of burst and can stay alive quite decent too.

Your best comp is with a mage.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

fake cast: i'm using a trick when a rogue is on me I'm casting something from the shadow spells school for example mind control most of the rogues dont look at the name of the spell and they think OMG he is gonna heal! he is kicking it so I'm able to throw a few heals then, after like 5 sec I start to MC him again and he kick it again... then he is like:

OMG how come he can heal?? i did kick on him!!!

That will only work against poor rogues. For myself I always know, what a priest is casting (and even if you do kick shadow school you can still gouge/kidney the next cast till kick is back up)
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

i saw some interesting combos with Sp/rogue
    if you are good at SP you should try it
    as disc the easiest way is to find a good geared hunter, they nuke the hell out of any1

Get enough gear so that even though you get pressured, you can play offensive. If you go defensive as a priest, you will lose. You're the most offensive healer around, and the best defense is great offense

ill give you a few example's how 2 be a pro or getting over 2.5+ first Never understimate the one infront of you even if he is a nub "luck might be with him or RNG AKA random number shitgnation" Second you need 2 count on your friend for few things as for example Druid warrior VS Rogue priest "if druid is stuck he call for my Intercept" so when i intercept he have 3 seconds 2 run off or cyclone rogue do w/e he want so make sure when you play u do communicate with the one with you aka for fear / stun / being survived as if you are out of mana, always call for your abilitys for example " in vent or skype " "PS IS ON " " Pain suppresion " "Power Infusion is on 2 mana burn !" dont get frustrated by saying a wrong word as "i charged and u actually intercepted" atleast he know "he can run" not sitting on d.... " always keep renew on and check whats infront of you what u can do what u cant do think what he can DO against you how he can kill you example rogue VS you "btw get interrupt bar addon " so for example u might find some few nubs some of them not that " want you 2 fake cast your self" so instead of u want him 2 kick he want you 2 waste time and he was Global as mutilate on you while u dont know so always make sure you Cast for example "heal 3 seconds " stop if he dont kick do ANY instant HELPFULL CAST "renew /mending w/e you have sorry dont have priest " and shield ALWAYS ON " except if u vs Dispellers etc " depends on what your partner is if its a rogue always start if u can with a sap and dispell so u get in combat " for better opener" if you VS warrior or any other try 2 fear and stick your ass near the pillar cuz sometimes the 1-5 yard from there Global breaking Fear makes you alive and spining around that makes people sick and spitting on you going on your teammate so here your 100% sure u dont die and always inform your teammate if your going for drink example " im going for a drink CAN YOU SURVIVE ? IF he said YES u keep his health goes down for 30% then HEAL if he die his mistake if u got full mana and got Cc'ed none of your mistake except tell him 2 have more survivability for example "coil / Cloak of skills /shield wall / any suvivability 2 let him live against his enemey's " and on 2v2 u need 2 get a Smite glyph or something for dps so it goes 2v1 as "U DONT HEAL MUCH" u dps and dispell mostlly being offensive is good and bad in couple of ways" im not sure if i really helped with this but really calling for your abilitys will help u always cast instant cast's really helpfull + always in everygame cast Divine hymn and hope one really helps if your in a trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Zoa
    ill give you a few example's how 2 be a pro or getting over 2.5+ first Never understimate the one infront of you even if he is a nub "luck might be with him or RNG AKA random number shitgnation" Second you need 2 count on your friend for few things as for example Druid warrior VS Rogue priest "if druid is stuck he call for my Intercept" so when i intercept he have 3 seconds 2 run off or cyclone rogue do w/e he want so make sure when you play u do communicate with the one with you aka for fear / stun / being survived as if you are out of mana, always call for your abilitys for example " in vent or skype " "PS IS ON " " Pain suppresion " "Power Infusion is on 2 mana burn !" dont get frustrated by saying a wrong word as "i charged and u actually intercepted" atleast he know "he can run" not sitting on d.... " always keep renew on and check whats infront of you what u can do what u cant do think what he can DO against you how he can kill you example rogue VS you "btw get interrupt bar addon " so for example u might find some few nubs some of them not that " want you 2 fake cast your self" so instead of u want him 2 kick he want you 2 waste time and he was Global as mutilate on you while u dont know so always make sure you Cast for example "heal 3 seconds " stop if he dont kick do ANY instant HELPFULL CAST "renew /mending w/e you have sorry dont have priest " and shield ALWAYS ON " except if u vs Dispellers etc " depends on what your partner is if its a rogue always start if u can with a sap and dispell so u get in combat " for better opener" if you VS warrior or any other try 2 fear and stick your ass near the pillar cuz sometimes the 1-5 yard from there Global breaking Fear makes you alive and spining around that makes people sick and spitting on you going on your teammate so here your 100% sure u dont die and always inform your teammate if your going for drink example " im going for a drink CAN YOU SURVIVE ? IF he said YES u keep his health goes down for 30% then HEAL if he die his mistake if u got full mana and got Cc'ed none of your mistake except tell him 2 have more survivability for example "coil / Cloak of skills /shield wall / any suvivability 2 let him live against his enemey's " and on 2v2 u need 2 get a Smite glyph or something for dps so it goes 2v1 as "U DONT HEAL MUCH" u dps and dispell mostlly being offensive is good and bad in couple of ways" im not sure if i really helped with this but really calling for your abilitys will help u always cast instant cast's really helpfull + always in everygame cast Divine hymn and hope one really helps if your in a trouble
    Mother of God. Structure?

A Mage and a Rogue.

Thanks all for the comments! Much appreciated!

Oh i forgot the mother of all 2k+ dpriests, SW polymorphs.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgminion

A Mage and a Rogue.
    or a ret and a rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Neurus

I know I make mistakes sometimes, but some other times, I really don’t know what to do. I know how to SW a sheep, how to dispel, try to chain CCs, etc., but that doesn’t seem to work. I feel like I’m missing something.

:’( I’m frustrated.
    U FORGOT YOUR HOLY FIRE+ SMITE spam +SW combo , bro

and try to fear > 1 target if possible

Well first off bind pennance/dispell to everykey
    buy an extremely durable keyboard that will last many seasons of face mashing

Deleted

A priest is as good as his partner... You can take advantage your class wonderfully, but what makes the difference is your partner.

Anyway, always have something to break LoS with (tomb in Lordaeron, boxes in Dalaran, etc.), otherwise you'll get zerg'd by casters as well as melee. If you are focused, your aim is to never be hit by a spell.

Use fear ASAP. Do not be afraid to drop CDs if you judge necessary. If you are in trouble, tell your partner to help you.

Normally, only rogues and warriors (mabye very good DKs) should pose a threat. You must learn to fear properly, cast properly (fake casting, which is forcing an opponent to kick you right after you interrupt your casting, so you are free to cast heals while their kick is on CD).

For some reason, I hate 2v2. I suggest you try 3v3 (I can't get above 1k8 in 2v2 but I reached 2k+ in 3v3 quite fast).

I play a 2300+ all brackets resto shaman and have a poorly geared priest alt

one thing a lot of lower rated priests don't seem to understand is that they can burst harder than any other healers

I have 3/5 deadly, frostsavage offpieces and some greens. and the chilly slobberknocker staff from the amphitheater quests

and I'm playing in the 1700s already. gotta play offensive, even if it means not keeping your partner or yourself topped off. pick a CC target and then dot up the focus, power infusion and go to down.

my gear is too bad for 3s and 5s but one thing I've noticed from my shaman is that the priests that dispel quickly are the ones that do considerably better. dispel immolates/flame shocks the second they go up, dispel deep freezes, dispel your melee until your fingers bleed

and of course, SW sheeps