Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need a Beast Mastery PVE spec

Hi there, I'm new to posting at mmo-champ but am a long time lurker and have been searching around for a decent BM PVE spec but have yet to find one so I decided to finally make myself an account and ask. My guild's ret pally has recently quit and we no longer have that tasty 3% damage buff, so as the guilds top hunt I've been asked to go bm for certain fights and hardmodes when the 3% buff for everyone would override my own personal dps. I have never played bm in PVE, I'm usually AGI MM, and have no idea where to even start with a spec, a rotation, and a pet type that will still yield pretty competitive dps. Can anyone help me out a bit?

This is my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Ysondre&n=Vrai
    If there's any small changes I can make to my gear (ie: trinkets, neck pieces things like that, I'm not about to regem for a sometimes played spec) let me know

Sig and Avi by Isilrien <3 Priest~Hunter~Druid~Paladin

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Need a Beast Mastery PVE spec

I wouldn't say that there is any need to change neck/ring and such between the different speccs us hunters got.

I checked the specc you got on armory for BM and want to point this out;

1. Only need 4/5 points in Frenzy and it will still have 100% uptime.
    2. Better off with 1 point in Endurance Training than imporved Aspect of the Monkey.
    3. Drop 1 point out of Bestial Disipline and get 1 point in Go for the Troath.
    4. You don't wanna miss out on Animal Handler.
    5. I skipped all points in Invigoration since mana isnt an problem for me, but if you find your self in Viper alto you might wanna go for it.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunt...49mQ02j,,10676 (there is 1 point in Focused Aim here as well, since you lack some hit)
    Quote for reply

Ya your BM spec sucks.. hehe

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#ctbMz...t0eMoZx00b:Vbi
    Try that spec. Sorry if the link doesnt work. It was for me, but you know how these things like to break.
    I personally like trying to stack haste.

Keep ur sting up, shoot arcane shot every time you can and spam steady.
    You should also macro kill command into ur shots. Well not steady... You need to macro steady into kill command lol.

If you get another ret pally and you still wanna stay BM switch three points from ferocious inspiration to catlike reflexes. The lower cd on kill command is really nice.

One last spec I like is
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#ctbMztxRfuhest0ems:Vfi
    Boosts the dmg of arcane shot a lot.

But since you do have T9 you could try to do a build with IMP stings in the MM tree. Thats up to you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Droih
    I wouldn't say that there is any need to change neck/ring and such between the different speccs us hunters got.

I checked the specc you got on armory for BM and want to point this out;

1. Only need 4/5 points in Frenzy and it will still have 100% uptime.
    2. Better off with 1 point in Endurance Training than imporved Aspect of the Monkey.
    3. Drop 1 point out of Bestial Disipline and get 1 point in Go for the Troath.
    4. You don't wanna miss out on Animal Handler.
    5. I skipped all points in Invigoration since mana isnt an problem for me, but if you find your self in Viper alto you might wanna go for it.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunt...49mQ02j,,10676 (there is 1 point in Focused Aim here as well, since you lack some hit)
    bestial discipline is pretty much the bread and butter of Bm hunters. I would always put 2 points into it no matter what. That plus 1 point in go for the throat is whats needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fetteboy
    Ya your BM spec sucks.. hehe
    Yeah like I said, I don't really play BM heh. The only problem I have with the specs you linked me fette is that I am 1% under hitcap and need 1 point in Focused Aim (oh how I wish I were Draenei sometimes) Any suggestions on which point to take out and put in Focused Aim instead? I'm also curious as to why having the Kill Shot glyph isn't as good as say glyph of Serpent Sting? I though Kill Shot was a used for every hunter spec, or am I woefully misinformed?

http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#0Md00fc00hoo
    I would do this for your bets spec.
    Wowhead doesnt allow you to put the 4 extra points from beast master, so just put the last four in shark attack and wild hunt.

Devilsaur is a good pet and so is the spirit beast, but id still go for the wolf.

http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#0Md00fc00hoo
    I would do this for your bets spec.
    Wowhead doesnt allow you to put the 4 extra points from beast master, so just put the last four in shark attack and wild hunt.

Devilsaur is a good pet and so is the spirit beast, but id still go for the wolf.
    Wowhead does, in the upper right hand corner of the talent window theres a 0 with a [ + ] next to it. Clicking on the plus adds the 4.

A wolf is good for surv and mm since theyre not relying on pet dps and get a nice little buff. But for BM youll want the devilsaur or spirit beast since theyre special abilities allow for them to do more damage which is the point of BM. If youve found that a wolf can match up to them, cool. more power to ya.
    /trinket
    /cast Deterrence
    /cast Master's Call

Now it's a Pally Bubble...

Quote Originally Posted by Vraizan
    Yeah like I said, I don't really play BM heh. The only problem I have with the specs you linked me fette is that I am 1% under hitcap and need 1 point in Focused Aim (oh how I wish I were Draenei sometimes) Any suggestions on which point to take out and put in Focused Aim instead? I'm also curious as to why having the Kill Shot glyph isn't as good as say glyph of Serpent Sting? I though Kill Shot was a used for every hunter spec, or am I woefully misinformed?
    Change a gem to a hit one?

Quote Originally Posted by RanvierVan
    Wowhead does, in the upper right hand corner of the talent window theres a 0 with a [ + ] next to it. Clicking on the plus adds the 4.

A wolf is good for surv and mm since theyre not relying on pet dps and get a nice little buff. But for BM youll want the devilsaur or spirit beast since theyre special abilities allow for them to do more damage which is the point of BM. If youve found that a wolf can match up to them, cool. more power to ya.
    Wolf is the top pet right now. Out does the Devilsaur and Spirit Beast. All hunter pets should get that Howl, just like all tanking pets got thunder stomp.

Wolf is the top pet right now. Out does the Devilsaur and Spirit Beast. All hunter pets should get that Howl, just like all tanking pets got thunder stomp.
    Frostheim, at Warcraft Hunter's Union agrees: with patch 3.2.2 the Wolf is better for combined dps than the Devilsaur.

http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/...s-bm-in-3-2-2/

First I set off to retest several BM hunter pets, and I was indeed able to confirm that the Wolf has defeated the Devilsaur to claim its place as the top BM hunter dps pet. I kinda think that this means we’ll want to keep an eye out for Blizzard to do some pet modifications in the near future. I can’t imagine that they want one pet to be the clear leader for every spec – it’s especially sad that the BM best pet is not an exotic pet.

On the other hand, we’ve been told that patch 3.3 will translate some portion of all of our stats to our pets. Once our pets are getting more than just attack power from us — haste and crit and armor pen – it’s entirely possible that will change the best pets again!
    I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.

Wolf is not the best DPS spec, don't believe everything you hear when you only hear it form one person. The devilsaur gets 9% extra damage, which is about 250 DPS increase. Furious howl is 320 AP for both with a 50% up time, so 160 AP average. That's 15 DPS for the hunter and the pet, with a small benefit to specials, no more than 50 DPS combined. Even with 100% uptime, you're looking at maximum 100-200 DPS from FH for a BM hunter, compared to the 200-300+ from monstrous bite on a devilsaur.

Catlike reflexes is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. Do not EVER get it, this is a joke talent that is meant to be a tiny buff to BM in PvP.
    KC increases pet special damage by 60,40,20%. That's 120% total extra damage on three consecutive specials, or 6 extra claws every 5 minutes. 6 claws over the course of a 5 minute fight = terrible. 3 talents makes this 6 more claws, or about 16 DPS gained (barely over 5 DPS a talent point). This is one of the worst and most misleading talents in the game.

Don't ever get CR for PvE, if you have extra talent points because you don't need invigoration or hit, finish out improved tracking, as it's worth about 30-40 DPS per point if you're up to date in gear.

Mortal shots does very little for a BM hunter, don't get it in place of other talents like invigoration (if you ever go viper) or improved tracking.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunt...awHavhK,,10676
    This is your non-invigoration spec, the three points in mortal shots can be swapped to improved hunter's mark if there are any (ANY) other hunters in your raid, you would lose a few dozen DPS to increase your friend's DPS by as much as 50, which only gets better if there are over two hunters in the raid. If you need invigoration, take points out of imp tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    Catlike reflexes is AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. Do not EVER get it, this is a joke talent that is meant to be a tiny buff to BM in PvP.
    I always felt that talent was aimed towards soloing old content myself.

ty much for the help everyone testing it out in 25 toc tonight ^_^

I have been wanting to play around with BM for a little while now. In our 25man raids its definatly not worth it. Because we have the 3% damage covered with ease.

But in our 10man group when we don't always have a retadin this 3% amounts to about 1k dps on everything except Twins and to a lesser extent Icehowl. On Twins the 3% accounts for approx 1620dps. Which is a huge chunk of DPS.

But is this offset by the fact that the pet doesn't get the damage buff against them? I've never payed that close attention to how my pet performs in this fight so I don't know for a fact we don't share out aura with them. But I think its unlikely.

Has anyone much experience they can draw on. I'm perticularly intrested in how BM performs on Twins versus MM and SV.

After going through spreadsheets, I've gotten this as optimal bm spec.

Oh, and in your marks spec, take out focused aim and ignore arcane shot.
    Here's one I've put together: Here
    If you don't have mana problems, you can move the points from rapid recuperation to imp. hunters mark.
    This also works for one reason or another.

Edit: Don't glyph steady shot in marks till 3.3 because of a bug.

I've recently obtained the 25 man ony helm, which is better for marks than my 232 tier helm, even though I lose the 4 piece set bonus. For BM, would it be advisable to switch back to the tier helm just for the 600 pet ap?

EDIT

And I haven't dropped imp arcane shot from my mm spec because I'm not speccing for mm arp, therefore arcane shot is still one of my big hitters. I don't have surv. instincts because I have found that raid buffed the extra 4% crit doesn't amount to much and I find the points better spent else where... also this is about my bm spec, I like my mm spec and have no intentions of changing it :P Focused Aim will be dropped now only because I've recently obtained gear with hit and I am now capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizesu
    After going through spreadsheets, I've gotten this as optimal bm spec.
    you only need 1 point in go for the throat as BM... after that, with bestial discipline, it becomes useless

spreadsheets show that this is the best spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#ctbMz...t0ecoZx00b:VAi
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Quote Originally Posted by Squishie
    I have been wanting to play around with BM for a little while now. In our 25man raids its definatly not worth it. Because we have the 3% damage covered with ease.

But in our 10man group when we don't always have a retadin this 3% amounts to about 1k dps on everything except Twins and to a lesser extent Icehowl. On Twins the 3% accounts for approx 1620dps. Which is a huge chunk of DPS.

But is this offset by the fact that the pet doesn't get the damage buff against them? I've never payed that close attention to how my pet performs in this fight so I don't know for a fact we don't share out aura with them. But I think its unlikely.

Has anyone much experience they can draw on. I'm perticularly intrested in how BM performs on Twins versus MM and SV.
    The pets don't get a damage boost. My DPS on twins (25 man) goes from 6k to about 8k, would be over 10k if my pet got the buff. I go from a top 5 DPS to not even top 10 on twins, but I guess some fights aren't as good for some specs /eyeroll

I guess, there are no fights that are any good for this spec!

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray
    I guess, there are no fights that are any good for this spec!
    correction... there are only a few fights that are not BM friendly
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win