paladin what spec is best for arena

i am a Prot paladin , ret is offspec but have healing set also

jsut curious what is best spec for arena since pvp gear isnt geard towards tanking its either ret or holy
    i ahve seen some people talk about prot/holy is that still viable? or should i just get the ret gear? or just use my pve tanking gear?

Re: paladin what spec is best for arena

It sounds like you need to first decide what your role will be. What class / spec are your partner(s)?

Prot/holy is still good in 2s, not as much in 3s though.

But yeah, if you decide you want to go ret, here is the cookie cutter spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sV0bZVGzZVrdxbIuGdIbsu

You may want to switch it up and go deeper in prot depending on your comp.

its all about what you like to do. believe me if you are just starting you are in no which way going to be good with a certain play style if you dont like what you are doing. that being said currently holy is in a much better spot than ret statisticly speaking. but it would also be REALLY nice to know if you have particular partners lined up that you want to play with or what you like to do.
    honestly if you like healing deep holy is currently much better than prot/holy and if you want to be the dmg dealer it all depends on play style and how you compliment your comp. if you are running w/ say a druid and a war a prot/ret spec is preferred these days in the upper brackets (like 2200+) on the other hand i personally play ret/rogue/disc and like the straight ret spec better.
    generally the more control your team offers the better ret/prot gets over prot/ret but its really more about the player at this point
    there are too many variables you should be more specific. and then maybe i can help ya out more ^^

It's not all about what you want to do. If you want to go high there is one way that is alot easier, and that is to go holy.

Blizzard haven't provided us with the promised utility in the retribution tree that we were promised, and i don't know if we ever will get it tbh. Holy is still viable though, easiest successful 2v2team is hpally/warrior. Get a warrrior with grimtoll, wait for proccs, HoJ + bladestorm and something will die.

Quote Originally Posted by onaqui
    It's not all about what you want to do. If you want to go high there is one way that is alot easier, and that is to go holy.

Blizzard haven't provided us with the promised utility in the retribution tree that we were promised, and i don't know if we ever will get it tbh. Holy is still viable though, easiest successful 2v2team is hpally/warrior. Get a warrrior with grimtoll, wait for proccs, HoJ + bladestorm and something will die.

numbers speaking, yes there are a shit load more good H-Pallies than there are ret and it is a better spec but i for one still have to disagree with its all about the OP spec. i personally ran holy for a while and just didnt like the feel of it, it was boring to me. then i tried ret with a few guildies, thought it was worth farming full deadly for, and a few weeks later we were playing in the mid 2100s. ret just suited my play style better and i knew how to play as the def melee that ret was designed as. atm im helping 2 rl friends (who before had never been above 1800) and easily got them their shoulders.

if you just follow the FotM you will never really enjoy arena enough to practice and really get good at it so you might as well just do whatever. there are plenty of comps that you can run as ret. yes you will have much more success in 3s than 2s but 2s are worthless anyways. so its really is more about what you like and who you play with. i have been over 2k playing in 3s with the following classes: war/druid(and pally) -- dk/priest -- rogue/priest -- destrolock/druid -- hunter/(insert all healers here) so ret is viable, yeah we are not OP atm. really who gives a shit. good players will move past it and still do well