A question or two for PvP-savvy hunters

I am currently thinking of making a PvP alt or rerolling completely to the hunter class for PvP purposes.

I tested a premade hunter on the PTR to get a feel of what it's like, but often without a healer I would end up getting demolished by pretty much anything.

Now I realize that I probably just suck at playing it because I haven't learned it from basics yet, but I would like a few pointers on whether or not you find surviving to be a problem in arenas or battlegrounds (leaving out the zerg moments).

Being a life-long shadow and part discipline priest, I especially found dots a problem since I could not just LoS heal, dispel or shield them off. How do you deal with that?

Is it mandatory for a hunter to be accompanied by a healer to accomplish anything?

Thanks in advance.

Deleted

Re: A question or two for PvP-savvy hunters

PVP for me on my hunter is to stand at range and nuke someone who isn't targeting me, once I get targeted the odds are stacked against me hehe. But tbh I'm no pvper, I don't do arenas, I use pve gear to nuke my target down asap b4 he/she has a chance. And dots? ye unless u got a healer then theres fuck all u can do.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftfeet
    PVP for me on my hunter is to stand at range and nuke someone who isn't targeting me, once I get targeted the odds are stacked against me hehe. But tbh I'm no pvper, I don't do arenas, I use pve gear to nuke my target down asap b4 he/she has a chance. And dots? ye unless u got a healer then theres fuck all u can do.
    Haha yea I do the same thing I don't care for arenas too and I'm on the same boat pve gear, nuke away using all cooldowns but when a prot warrior or anything that have stuns IE. rogues your completely screwed you can try to trinket out of it but its pointless once you trinket a smart rogue would just disarm you in a heartbeat. But the main rule I followed is casters get hit the hardest by MM Belf hunters cause two or three silences (readness is your friend) I love to see mages that targets me get silenced if they are still alive blink near me i arcane torrent /LOL /dance /killshot but my nature is WG only never in bg's anymore T_T

but yea i should look into the some thing to better improve my pvp status from being a nuking huntard to a pretty ok pvp hunter

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail.

Ok, basiclly, you use frost trap, master's call, disengage and detterence.. use these to kite your enemies, with scatter shot and wyvern sting, nothing can touch you.

In arena, I usually play with a priest, I get the priest to offensively fear on cooldown, on the target I want to CC trying to get him to trinket, once they trinket'd I can kill there partener, in 10 seconds, with the priest helping me by dispelin, shadowfiend, dpsing etc.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n&n=Fockerized

is my hunter.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/arena/team/...ll/33/23/51///

number 6 in the world, for my combo. (Just epeening)

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Auchindoun&n=Fockerlol

Best Druid EU :3

Quote Originally Posted by Fockerized
    Yep thats me i stop trying cause it gotten to the point where i stepped down from being to far into the game to just sign on pve call it a day log off... But is the population of horde to allaince ratio the same in the EU pve servers as it is on the US servers?

Idno if this helps any but I've been leveling a hunter. I have no experience at high level pvp with a hunter so I cant comment there. I started as Marksman/Survival to scatter shot and I found myself ALWAYS oom. Id rock peoples world then go oom and be a sitting duck. After I was oom I found myself at a tough spot, either put up viper and have no shot at killing someone or just try and auto shoot/kite and pray theirs not a healer around (which isn't often since the FOTM priest/druid rerolls). I leveled the last 4 levels (ex 16-19, 26-29, 36-39, 46-49) in BG's and was always top dmg and kills but had a ton of deaths. I don't mind dieing to being outplayed or being zerged down, but to die because I was always oom is extremely frustrating.

I got so frustrated with it that I speced BM, and now I don't have mana problems. I hate BM but it is better for leveling and I can actually keep mana for more than a minute.

I loved the play style of MM and that the decisions you make effect winning or loosing. I will likely go back to it at a higher level, but for lower levels it just was a headache for me.

I know the game isn't balanced around low level pvp (and I'm not saying it should be), but that's just my 2 cents about pvp at low levels as a hunter.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Burning+Blade&cn=Ap%C3%A1che

Ok, basiclly, you use frost trap, master's call, disengage and detterence.. use these to kite your enemies, with scatter shot and wyvern sting, nothing can touch you.
    Actually this is all someone can give you on the forums. While PvE can be explained a little more easily PvP involves too many actions and reactions and thus can't be explained so easily. especially with the hunter, as kiting is not something someone can teach you like : "push this button, now push this one, and now this one".

I suggest you to pick your hunter and level it up if you like the game-play with it. And don't listen to those retards saying this class is OP and this class sucks. Because they are usually under the 2.2k rating and thus they suck or they just can't accept the fact that you can't have prefect balance in anything. The pendulum is sometime at your side and sometimes at the other side.

A pro irl friend can help you a lot with his play-style/tips and so can a good brain.
    80 Orc Hunter
    80 Tauren druid
    80 Tauren Warrior
    80 Orc Warlock
    80 Blood elf Death knight
    To Be continued...

In arena, I usually play with a priest, I get the priest to offensively fear on cooldown, on the target I want to CC trying to get him to trinket, once they trinket'd I can kill there partener, in 10 seconds, with the priest helping me by dispelin, shadowfiend, dpsing etc.

is my hunter.

Because 10 groups use your combo. I'm also the best raiding BM hunter with a 2620 gear score in the world. Who gives a shit?

You want to be good at PvP? Re-roll rogue, mage, or priest. Hunters have been the 10th out of 10 classes in arena representation since arena came out, there's a reason. They suck ass.

see? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is the kind of person I warned you about ! be wary !
    80 Orc Hunter
    80 Tauren druid
    80 Tauren Warrior
    80 Orc Warlock
    80 Blood elf Death knight
    To Be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaskal
    see? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is the kind of person I warned you about ! be wary !
    He's also completely factually and statistically correct. It is not an opinion that hunters are the worst class in arena, it is a statistical fact.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

You want to be good at PvP? Re-roll rogue, mage, or priest. Hunters have been the 10th out of 10 classes in arena representation since arena came out, there's a reason. They suck ass.
    Hunters suck ass only when they're not being played properly. i play as a bm hunter with a disc priest in 2s and this comp totally pawns. if we meet healer/dps team. mana burn+viper sting on their healer=gg. Bestial Wrath+Cds such as blood fury and rapid fire is enough to nuke down their dps same for dps/dps team.
    yes the class i see the least in arenas are hunters mainly because the players don't know how to use them and think that they suck in arenas more than the fact the class sucks.
    there's no such thing as worst class in arena. there's only lousy comp and lousy skills.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Soooo for all the seasons past (except half of a single season maybe) hunters have been lowest represented because most hunters are played by people without skills or knowledge of comps...

Right.

I'm sorry, but anyone with half a brain knows this is statistically impossible.
    There is no acceptable reason why hunters in pvp would be played by worst players in general.

If hunters have been so low in representation for all this time, it must mean the class isn't fit well enough for the type of fight the arena is.
    Either by not being decked out with the right ways to deal with other teams (too few good abilities, or maybe too much weak abilities), or either by the nature of the fight being against them (arena's as a short ranged area with obstacles).

Great that you're pro at arena, but you are wrong about why others aren't..

I'd say the reason hunters aren't well represented is because:

1. In an arena situation, unless accompanied by a healer, the hunter does poorly 1v1 against classes you are more likely to see in an arena i.e. facerolling melee, and dots.

2. In order to play a hunter to make it seem OP you have to play it like a paranoid schizophrenic on 5 Hour Energy, replace your keyboard with an synthesizer for all the keybinds, and have a B.A. Honors in Business Management to fully micromanage the pet and all its abilities all the while trying to analyze whether or not your last respec will be your last respec because you're sure those points in Replenishment could be spent better elsewhere.

The only time I can think of off the top of my head hunters saw decent arena time was before all the Explo Shot nerfs and it was retardedly OP in its damage.

My advice, Learn to use Jumpshot, properly kite around a frost trap, LoS, know your CDs, and tinker with your spec to find one that fits your arena team and/or pvp desires.
    /trinket
    /cast Deterrence
    /cast Master's Call

Now it's a Pally Bubble...

You guys are behind the times. Hunters are now actually 4th highest in the arena rankings.

Sure, we've had it rough in the past, but that was before we were given things like deterrence, disengage, and the ability to set multiple traps at the same time.

The key to winning is to never let your opponent get near you. Don't just stand there if you're getting focus-fired. We have many, many utilities now to keep the distance. Use them!

I'm just now starting to do some arenas and I've never really pvp'd much. I just swiched my off spec to a SV pvp spec to try out. Depending on how that goes, I'll keep the spec or also try out a BM spec. Anyone have any recommendations on some macros that I could use that would be good for pvp? Any particularly good attacks that I can chain together for a good pvp macro?

Quote Originally Posted by Aureact
    I am currently thinking of making a PvP alt or rerolling completely to the hunter class for PvP purposes.

I tested a premade hunter on the PTR to get a feel of what it's like, but often without a healer I would end up getting demolished by pretty much anything.

Now I realize that I probably just suck at playing it because I haven't learned it from basics yet, but I would like a few pointers on whether or not you find surviving to be a problem in arenas or battlegrounds (leaving out the zerg moments).

Being a life-long shadow and part discipline priest, I especially found dots a problem since I could not just LoS heal, dispel or shield them off. How do you deal with that?

Is it mandatory for a hunter to be accompanied by a healer to accomplish anything?

Thanks in advance.
    No...

Apart from a rogue hunters might be the optimal solo pvp class.. You got EVERYTHING to kite anything else around endlessly.. Its a matter of timing and when you use your different abilitys.. Hunters are awesome and I can't WAIT for rated bgs as a hunter..

You just have to learn the old ways of a hunter.. Ive never really used a Healer..

Theres alot of idiots out there that play hunters.. Clueless about their class and not willing to learn!.. With the extra range in survival nothing will EVER get close to you..

First off I love my Hunter and have put down my Warrior,DK,Druid for him in WOtLK. There are really bad players of any class. With a Hunter it just shows more because they are kind of the bastard class of wow. The game to me seems balanced around 2 main types Melee & Casters. Hunters really don't fit well with either of those and were not meant too. But that to me seems to be the biggest real issue why they can't balance them correctly. But overall its a complex class and very rewarding if played right in PvP.
    Casual WoW Player and proud of it!!

is my hunter.

the ranking is not very accurate tbh and your bg is clearly bad.

30 rating higher than me in 2s you are rated in the top 100. I would need another 300 or so rating to be in the top 100 ~.~

I need to xfer to boost my epeen sigh. Hunters are ok in pvp and ok in arena, not amazing but not horrible either