Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Weapon swapping in combat.

So who else hates when people throw a shield on in the middle of combat?

No weapon swapping while in combat! If you can drop combat, feel free to switch your weapons but rationally speaking, if someone was swinging a large 2h mace in RL, they would not be able to put a 1h weapon and shield on in such a manner that they could do it instantly and be able to switch back.

They should also prevent people from being able to join a match with defense gear on including a shield that has def rating.

If you want to be a prot Paladin, you have to roll with a healing shield, or have blizz add shields with resilience on them instead of def at the same cost as the healing offhand items.

If you want to increase your survivability, feel free but you will end up sacrificing damage for it.

I hate warriors that switch to a shield for enough time to get healed to full and then shield slam you before switching back to a 2h and doing full damage again.

Ret paladins should not be able to switch to a shield and 1h to cast a big heal and then switch back either. It just makes no sense.

Resto druids switching to high spirit weapons just for the innervate cast is BS also. They have enough mana.

Re: Weapon swapping in combat.

someone was swinging a large 2h mace in RL, they would not be able to put a 1h weapon and shield on in such a manner that they could do it instantly and be able to switch back.
    cuz this is RL hur hur hur
    but seriously,shield on back, 1 hander belted, 2 hander, in hand. Drops the 2 hander, draw the shield and sword, knock you back w/ shield, drop shield n 1 hander, pick 2 hander back up. ther ya go, RL example

also, not being able to use 2 spell daggers, is also "unrealistic", so is not having to "reload" you guns, oh, and how getting stabbed in the gut doesnt kill you? that too

Actually, Weapon swapping is one of the more realistic parts of warcraft combat. In fact, its unrealistic to expect extremly skilled and experienced warriors, who are masters of dozens of different weapons, would only use one weapon at all times, no matter the circumstances.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Should also remove all spells, all non-human races, monsters must go (but animals can stay), etc.

The point is, it's a fantasy game. It doesn't have to be realistic. Have you seen other MMOs? In FFXI you can change your entire suit of armor while drawing a bow. Gameplay first, realism later.

Since we're getting technical (for some reason) its actually not realistic that you switch to a shield. Sheathing your sword and pulling the axe off your back works fine but pulling a giant shield off your back and running your arm through the grips would require 15 seconds at least.

But since this is a game we're worried about game mechanics, not realism. Now that you mention it though, switching weapons is an odd mechanic that has more function as a way to cheat the repair system than it does as a legitimate game strategy. I've never though about it before, why/when do you guys switch weapons? Other than switching to a shield which has obvious benefits but seems cheesy?
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkedOne
    cuz this is RL hur hur hur
    but seriously,shield on back, 1 hander belted, 2 hander, in hand. Drops the 2 hander, draw the shield and sword, knock you back w/ shield, drop shield n 1 hander, pick 2 hander back up. ther ya go, RL example
    My point is that it should take time to switch weapons. If you are using a large 2 hander and you drop it to switch to a 1 hander and a shield, how is the 2 hander back in your hands if you were running away?

If you are going to drop your weapon, you will be leaving yourself vulnerable until you manage to get your shield ready and I'm sure that anyone who has a large, 2 handed axe swinging at them is not going to stop what they are doing in the middle of armed combat to take a few seconds and strap a shield on in the proper fashion. This being the case it should not be as effective.

Also since Resilience doesn't work in PVE, Defense should not be effective in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyplayswow
    In b4 facepalm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by draticus
    Since we're getting technical (for some reason) its actually not realistic that you switch to a shield. Sheathing your sword and pulling the axe off your back works fine but pulling a giant shield off your back and running your arm through the grips would require 15 seconds at least.

But since this is a game we're worried about game mechanics, not realism. Now that you mention it though, switching weapons is an odd mechanic that has more function as a way to cheat the repair system than it does as a legitimate game strategy. I've never though about it before, why/when do you guys switch weapons? Other than switching to a shield which has obvious benefits but seems cheesy?
    I've seen druids, priests, paladins, and mages switch weapons before using inervate, divine plea, hymn of hope, and evocation to get a boost in the mana regen and then switch back to high SP weapons.

I've even seen rogues switch to a daggers for backstab and back to their main weapon. (not very effective anymore but it can still be done.)

Oh hi there Global Cooldown.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fadeddeath
    I've seen druids, priests, paladins, and mages switch weapons before using inervate, divine plea, hymn of hope, and evocation to get a boost in the mana regen and then switch back to high SP weapons.
    as they should.

Saying something doesn't make sense from a realistic point of view doesn't make sense in a fantasy mmorpg says the undead flying a protodrake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubjub View Post
    This is like saying "I was running along the motorway eating a banana and was hit by a car. Just wondering if anyone else had problems with being hit by a car while eating bananas?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Howling Wind View Post
    i like the trix yogurt vomit bat. He is EPIC

Quote Originally Posted by fishface
    Oh hi there Global Cooldown.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

ok then. make it so that warriors can use shield block, shield slam, shield bash, spell reflect and shield wall without a shield. or otherwise give them other awesome skills to make up for the lack of those vital, essential tools. then you can remove weapon swapping.

15+ Year Old Account

Firion(Dissidia's at least) would like to have a word with you. :-X

Quote Originally Posted by Fadeddeath
    Resto druids switching to high spirit weapons just for the innervate cast is BS also. They have enough mana.
    Ehrm, noone does that anymore. Innervate is no longer based on spirit... It is now a static amount of mana generated, based only on the casting druids level (base mana).

I want to add this one though:

Players whining on forums is totally unrealistic. How do they escape the game world and move on to the Internetz to whine ? Impossible i say...

with 3.3 the best rotation for mut rogues will actually include weapon swapping (though i doubt anyone will use the rotation because it just requires far too much effort and if you mess up even once it's a HUGE dps loss).

if i were in RL going up against arthas, i'm not sure I'd take the time to switch between 3 or 4 different daggers every 15 seconds, personally. :P
    (btw i find comparing WoW to real life in anyway absolutely ridiculous and trivial)

i have nothing against the system because if you're a pro enough player it adds some interesting mechanics to the game.
    i just thought i'd let you know that it's also finding its way into pve, so who knows if it'll become even more widespread with cata...

Pretty sure this is a troll, but in case it isn't, Innervate is no longer based on spirit. Also, whats the problem with defense in PvP? It's a terrible stat for PvP, and anyone that had a resil shield would be using it instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshiva
    The fact remains that you FUCKING FAIL.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Imhullu
    Firion(Dissidia's at least) would like to have a word with you. :-X
    Oh lawd. Moar weapons! Moar!

warriors are probably the only class so depended on weapon swapping.
    if a warrior has to go defensive, he NEEDS to equip a shield/1h because all our defensive abilities require it.
    weapon swapping procs a gcd each time you swap and resets swing timers, that makes 2h -> 1h+shield -> 2h = 2 gcd +2swing timer resets. tossing a shield up reduces our dmg AND reduces our rage gen due to weapon swing resets and smaller hits, that once again reduces our dmg.

you shouldnt be complaining, warriors have to switch weapons ALOT, going from defensive to offensive all the time.

its as much a burden as it is a blessing...
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

fuck no. I swap between deadly/wp/mind numbing oh all the time.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!