Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Threat Problem as a Bear Tank

I want to ask this question about Bear tank.

I am having problem with threat, I was able to do 4400 tps. I am trying to do Hard Mode Uld 10 man.

My regular gear: (before raid buff)
    38287 Health
    Hit: 6.16% (I am planing on getting the gloves and legs from ToC 25 man)
    Crit chance: 43.20%
    Armor: 30221
    Dodge: 39.48%
    Expertise: 33 (I know, I only need 26. Also I do not gem for these)

Auroro

A paladin tank in my guild was able to do 5000 tps.

Clubbernaut

I do Maul+Lacerate before my DPS touch the target.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Threat Problem as a Bear Tank

i am also having some threat issues although at a higher gear level. i tank sometimes in totgc 10/25 as well as ulduar and dps rip right off me a lot of the time. i've got 367 hit and 48 expertise so there's no reason for threat to be bad as pretty much NOTHING misses. my general rotation is to keep a 5 stack of lacerate rolling, keep mangle off cooldown, maul pretty much every swing, FFF when it's off cooldown, and fill in the spare time with demo roar/swipe.

- Pull with FFF
    - Begin with Mangle + Maul
    - Lacerate to 5 stacks and use Mangle/FFF as soon as they come off CD
    - Maul every swing
    - Swipe as a filler. Don't bother using demo roar if you have someone covering it through vindication etc

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiea
    - Pull with FFF
    - Begin with Mangle + Maul
    - Lacerate to 5 stacks and use Mangle/FFF as soon as they come off CD
    - Maul every swing
    - Swipe as a filler. Don't bother using demo roar if you have someone covering it through vindication etc
    My problem is the DPS is not willing to wait for 2 second for the boss to reach me and burn him down. By the time, he reach me, he about to walk away from me.

Being hit capped and soft capped at expretise is where your threat comes from.

I dont tank very often anymore, but i did MT all of Ulduar25 before i took a break and came back moonkin.

I would tend to open with FFF + Maul + Mangle, then follow with Lacerate building. Once Lacerate hits 5 stacks i refresh it with 6 seconds to go (in case of a miss or two), otherwise I swipe as it does more upfront threat than lacerate. Whenever FFF and Mangle are off CD I used them. FFF being the highest threat gen/lowest cost Feral Tanks have.

roughly (from memory) my rotation went something like this:

Opening: FFF - Mangle - Lacerate x 3 - FFF - Mangle - Lacerate x 2 - Swipe
    Standard: FFF - Mangle - Swipe x 3 - FFF - Mangle - Swipe x 2 - Lacerate --- repeat

Obviously this would get mixed up a little with defensive cooldowns and fight specific mechanics. Generally however I would peak around the 6.5 - 7k TPS mark. Sitting about 5.5 - 6k on average

is this threat against bosses or trash? if it's bosses, with that gear, you should be able to reach 7k. Quick tip, macro maul to every ability you use, take a LOT of rage, but if you're tanking bosses, you shouldnt have to worry about being rage-starved. This should help you reach 7k.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenna
    is this threat against bosses or trash? if it's bosses, with that gear, you should be able to reach 7k. Quick tip, macro maul to every ability you use, take a LOT of rage, but if you're tanking bosses, you shouldnt have to worry about being rage-starved. This should help you reach 7k.
    The problem is the first part of the fight, where the paladin pop their avenging wrath or something that give them wings, they out treat me.

Maybe pop berserk from the very start? Might help with threat if you can Mangle+Maul spam for the first 15 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Auroro
    My problem is the DPS is not willing to wait for 2 second for the boss to reach me and burn him down. By the time, he reach me, he about to walk away from me.
    Then it is not a threat problem is it?

If you roll with a rogue or a hunter just make sure they ToT (Tricks of the Trade) or MD (Missdirect) you before the pull and give you a hand there; also tell your DPs to stay the hell away from the mob/boss before you have it in your melee range, positioned or on your way to the tanking position. These are basic things that a whole raid team has to do if they want a sucessfull kill. If they can't respect this very simple thing, then you need new dps-ers.

Furthermore, make sure you use the macros (as someone above already stated) that queue maul to your other main abbilities:

Mangle :
    #showtooltip
    /cast Mangle (Bear)()
    /cast !Maul

Swipe :
    #showtooltip
    /cast Swipe (Bear)()
    /cast !Maul

Lacerate :
    #showtooltip
    /cast Lacerate()
    /cast !Maul

They will just make your life a lot easier. Pull with a FFF then hit a Mange coupled with Maul (after you macro it) then get 5 Lacerates up (and while you press the lacerate button, maul is being thrown in the rotation every time). By the time you have 5 Lacerates up, you will probably be above 6-7k TPS and it's just gonna' be smooth going from there on. Again, make sure you tell your DPS to wait untill you are good with position and initial threat. You can pop an early Berserk after you have thouse 5 Lacerates, and your TPS will skyrocket and nobody will be able to catch you. When the Berserk is done, keep your 5 Lacerates up at all times, hit Mangle at each cooldown and Swipe while Mangle is getting off-cooldown. You will never need to hurt your fingers by pressing Maul ofc, the macro does it for you. After you are done with a fight (or go do some dummy tests), check how your white attacks are in the top hitting abbilities: you need to have close to none.
    /hug

After maul mangle is your biggest threat. Get more mangles in and put 3 points in improved mangle.

Now you'll have 2 instead of 3 gcd's between each mangle.

Opening: FFF - Mangle - Lacerate x 2 - Mangle - Lacerate x 2 - Mangle - Lacerate - FFF - mangle

After that keep 5 stacks Lacerate up, if 5 up swipe/FFF between 2 mangles.
    And ofc Maul stacked all the time. Don't use FFF when mangle is off cooldown. Use mangle.

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter then 'please', i will say 'no' because it's shorter then 'yes'.

Quote Originally Posted by Auroro
    then let them die and learn the hard way to "way 2sec for aggro"...

Use the rotations said above, once you get hit cap'd and around 40 expertise, then you should be doing 7-9k TPS, going 13k+ during Berserk.
    That's what I get, and I don't even use those macros Gigikent posted.

Edit: I also got a crappy Vista laptop, so during my 25-mans, I often get 4-5 FPS while tanking and still hold aggro. Once you get the right rotation and hit / expertise for it, it's a cakewalk. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Droodsome
    After maul mangle is your biggest threat. Get more mangles in and put 3 points in improved mangle.

Now you'll have 2 instead of 3 gcd's between each mangle.

Opening: FFF - Mangle - Lacerate x 2 - Mangle - Lacerate x 2 - Mangle - Lacerate - FFF - mangle

After that keep 5 stacks Lacerate up, if 5 up swipe/FFF between 2 mangles.
    And ofc Maul stacked all the time. Don't use FFF when mangle is off cooldown. Use mangle.

3 points in Imp. Mangle is actually a threat loss compared to Master Shapeshifter if you don't get a perfect rotation(As the lower CD on mangle causes it to clip your FFF).

I've never had problems with DPS pulling aggro before I get threat, tell them to stop being retarded I suppose?

jsut do wot i do if the dps isnt willing to wait for u to get some threat let them die soon they will elrn not to jump stright in seems a bit harsh but it works after a while

The way my keyboard is set up is numbers 1 - 5 go like this...
    Feral Charge

#showtooltip
    /cast Lacerate
    /cast !Maul

#showtooltip
    /cast Growl
    /cast Faerie Fire
    /cast !Maul

#showtooltip
    /Cast Swipe
    /Cast Maul

#showtooltip
    /Cast Mangle
    /cast !Maul

With that is is easy as hell. Start with Growl / FF combo, then Mangle, stack 5 lacerates and just keep hitting 5,4,3 over and over again like that. Refresh Lacerate when it hits about 3 sec. 7-8k threat np what so ever

You are now breathing manually.

Deleted

Why would you want to use up your Growl every time your FF is up? ??? (Macro 3 i mean)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardrels
    The way my keyboard is set up is numbers 1 - 5 go like this...
    Feral Charge

#showtooltip
    /cast Lacerate
    /cast !Maul

#showtooltip
    /cast Growl
    /cast Faerie Fire
    /cast !Maul

#showtooltip
    /Cast Swipe
    /Cast Maul

#showtooltip
    /Cast Mangle
    /cast !Maul

With that is is easy as hell. Start with Growl / FF combo, then Mangle, stack 5 lacerates and just keep hitting 5,4,3 over and over again like that. Refresh Lacerate when it hits about 3 sec. 7-8k threat np what so ever

Enjoy your boss being immune to Growl when you actually need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardrels
    #showtooltip
    /cast Growl
    /cast Faerie Fire
    /cast !Maul
    As a taunt macro, when someone pulls off aggro, I agree with this one. But to using it constantly, will make it go on CD and if someone pulls off aggro right after that, he's more likely dead.

The funny thing is:
    /cast Growl
    /cast Faerie Fire

WONT WORK!

Growl wil be cast if it's off CD. But if it is, the macro will jsut return the error "Spell not ready yet". It will never skip to the 2nd line (Faerie Fire).

/castsequence reset=8 Growl, Faerie Fire(Feral)

There you go, you can thank me later.