Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Anub'arak HC (10man) Healing Aggro problem

Quote Originally Posted by Alekslari
    I am doing this boss every week and very often im ending dead in the end. : My healing seems generate huge aggro(off tank-paly, mt-prot warrior). Last week i specced in 3/3 Subtely, but it didnt really help, died on in phase 2 on 2nd pack of adds( luckily we had shadow priest with us, who helped to heal while i was battle ressed). All range and healers usually position yourself in far north in front of Anub, so if adds are coming to us, they need to cross frost path. Any tips or suggestions how to deal with it? ???
    Healers always gets initial aggro here, because only healers do anything threatening to the newly spawned adds. But if anyone even just looks angrily at them, they turn to that player instead - meaning, the initial healing aggro is very small and the adds are very easy to pick up.

Choose better positioning, have more active tanks, and use misdirects when needed...

Note that overhealing causes zero threat - but it does put you on the threatlist with 0 threat, wich is more threat than the rest of the players who are not even on the threatlist before they have actually damaged the adds..

I'm guessing that the majority of the people saying things like "Omg how can a tank lose aggro to healers ever" haven't actually tanked this before.

It's not that it's especially hard to pick the adds up in time however this phase is a little trickier than you might first expect, especially for certain classes.

The adds spawn from a random spot and depending on where your boss is being tanked it can be hard to see and target them quickly, in addition the frost patches slow you right down more than normal so if your tank happens to be tanking the previous set of adds right in the middle of a frost patch he might have difficulty getting off the frost patch quickly. The other thing is that healers DO generate a lot of threat in this phase because the constant HPS required on the tanks is quite huge. I've also seen raid healers healing the raid more than they need to and generating stupidly high amounts of threat as they do.

Things your tank can do to improve:

Tank the previous set of adds with himself positioned at the edge of the frost and not the middle so he can get off the frost nice and quickly.
    Note that these adds generally take a little more effort to pick up than your average mobs. If your tank is using his usual methods of picking up fresh mobs off healers he won't be doing it right. This can actually take some tanks by surprise. Normally a consecration or thunderclap is enough to take mobs off healers. He may be underestimating the huge amount of threat that the healers are putting out in the swarm phase, it requires much more than that here.

Things you can do to improve things:

Make sure your raid is bunched up so the two adds don't run in opposite directions. Try and be quite close to the boss.
    Make sure you're not healing the raid more than necessary between heals.
    If you tank the boss on top of a frost patch you may want to consider running to it under the boss if your tank is really slow.

You should always be aware when new adds are coming into the fight as a healer and i tell everyone who has the ability to drop threat to do so at that point, i guess theres not much you can do directly (being a druid).

If your a class that cannot drop threat then you should stop healing briefly when the adds enter, if your already doing that and your hots are causing so much threat then you really have to tell the tanks to put some more effort in.

Healing threat needs to be managed as much as threat from a dps class, don't always be so hasty to put your l2p fingers up at the tanks and I haven't seen a druid healer getting aggro at this point either but its common for holy priests, blizzard gave us fade and this is a rare fight i use it on.
    Born under the Discipline tree.

cheers

This has caused me several whipes, me being a holy paladin getting aggro on the adds, even though he uses an avenger's shield on the add. Holy paladins tankhealing in P3 anub does crazy amounts of threat through healing.

And, NO, I wasnt using RF.

it's shadow strikes that kill you

Scream in vent louder about the mob not being picked up.
    Either your tank will leave so you can find one that can pick it up, or the tank will pull out their spinach and do waht they're supposed to be doing.

Hey alek ;D

Sharing the solution that worked for us (me being the other healer): Hand of protection on him and me bubbling when the adds spawn. No healer aggro and the adds can pretty much only go for the OT.
    Just thought I'd share it as a thanks for the usefull responses.

10+ Year Old Account

If you are generating that much threat, you are doing a good job. If your tanks are sucking so bad that they cant taunt the adds and then generate enough threat to hold off of you, then they suck and are failing at their job.

They suck, not you, find new tanks imo.

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

Please do yourself a favor and disregard the "GET NEW TANKS LUL" comments. They are false.

I don't know what the problem is, but some healers just really piss off those adds. For us it was a druid healer, soon as the bugs came out and all the HoTs rolled, the bugs would go for em.

No, our tanks are not bad, quite frankly they're probably some of the best tanks out there. Aggro isn't an issue on TotGC 25, but on 10 man, the druid healer's threat is insane. We've ended up having a hunter MD the add that comes from whatever side the druid is on to the tank, it's the only way to keep em alive.

Again, disregard the people claiming it's the tanks fault, it's not.

Seeing as your offtank is a pally he has an easy way to deal with it.. the mobs should always be going for you when they spawn or shortly after they spawn. I tend to just Righteous defence just before the adds reach the patch and then bursting threat on them (I'll have built single target threat allready on the first add reaching the patch)
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=enbee
    -> I might be logged out in protpvpgear

It's harder for some tank classes.

We've had problems with the resto druid getting the initial aggro. Our feral tank will taunt the other add and feral faerie fire the other, but sometimes the faerie fire aggro just isn't enough.

Stop blaming your tanks and tell your aggro generating healers to position themselves better, so that the offtank can pick up the adds better in case FFF, Shield, or whatever fails to get the aggro.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

I'm also noticed a large amount of aggro being generated by druids during this phase. In our runs, the druid healer seems to almost always be the first one dead because he has picked up aggro on the adds and our tank can't get to them in time for a variety of reasons.

We haven't managed to find a solution other than kill the boss before the raid wipes.

your off tank sucks. end of story. you will always get initial healing aggro, it is the tank's job to get the adds before they nuke somebody. The only thing you can do to help him out is to stand close enough to him that he can save you.

I've offtanked this fight everytime on my paly tank, and we've gotten 50chest for the past 4 weeks, whoever is your offtank just needs to get better at picking up the adds. Also, have the healers stand on the ice patch like someone already mentioned, so that the offtank doesn't have to run as far to pick up new adds, especially if dps isn't killing the old ones before the new ones spawn. That's when I seem to have trouble picking up new adds, when there's still two up because is slacking on the aoe.

only time ive ever seen healing agro matter is when i decide im gonna spam the tank before he can do anything but charge/throw/taunt lol. honestly though, get better tanks, should have no problem with ...healing aggro?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Board3r24/Sig.jpg
    (Sig too large)

speaking myself as resto druid without threat red (algalon).
    i'd stick myself in the same pixel of the tank so i'll help he to drag the add to him, and due to the mechanic of the add any non-tank class can take 2-3 hit (in total, not per add ofc) and he can take without ant trouble.
    We did with any combo of tank so try this tactic
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaavis
    And you didn't even address the fact that auto attacks do a lot better than wanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    Quick trade chat poll reveals that YOUR MOM is actually the hardest bossfight in WoW.

prot paladins have so many ranged attacks and both taunts to use, so he should never have a problem picking the adds up before they reach anyone. hell, it's easy enough as a warrior.