Warriors Dual Wield Tanking?

My question is should warriors also be able to dual weild tank like DKS?

i have an 80 prot warrior and i think bliz could do something maybe in xpack where dual wield tanking is possible through some sort of tallent that increases your parry chance or something since we would lose that migration through blocking and the damage reduction from the increased armor.

i think it may even be possible to do it now (obviously not well)

whats you're thoughts on this?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Warriors Dual Wield Tanking?

the only reason DK's dual weild tank (which they shouldnt) is cause they are not supposed to be able to use shields.
    warriors and paladins will always be sword and board when it comes to tanking and thats all there is to it.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

this a is a joke right?

shield block is quickly becoming the hot to trot stat that puts shield tanks ahead of the pack and you want to dump that?

on top of this. you want to dual wield tank AND get compensation for the mitigation you lose from not using a shield?

i don't even know anymore. blizzard's mantra is apparently to appeal to the masses. beg enough and you'll get it. so sure. go for it. it sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikehondom37

i have an 80 prot warrior and i think bliz could do something maybe in xpack where dual wield tanking is possible through some sort of tallent that increases your parry chance or something since we would lose that migration through blocking and the damage reduction from the increased armor.

no, nuff said

you can't use devastate and shield slam(obviously) without a shield so you're left with only sunder armor and heroic strikes for tanking bosses

Nothings stopping you, its certainly easy enough to get the Defence now. I've started tanking Heroics on my Paladin as Ret spec with a 2H and the majority of my Prot gear. Might be a bit different for Warrior though, cause i just chuck up righteous fury for the high threat, never have any problems. Most of the time my healer still goes DPS.

No, just no.
    Doing it now is just downright stupid. We use our shield for our main threat ability. It's the piece or our equipment with the most armor on it. Blocking, even being an inferior tanking stat, still provides a lot of mitigation. The list goes on ...
    And what cata concerns, why would you want to dual wield tank? A lot of dk's are allready complaining that they want shields and the mitigation it provides and that shield wearing classes are at a big advantage now. Why would you want to go in the other direction? Warrior tanking is designed around using a shield. The worst thing they could do is mess it up by trying to give us something new like tanking with dual wielding weapons. Hell while they are at it, maybe they could make fury dps use a shield or caster weapons for arms dps, and wands instead of bows/guns, ow god, the great ideas are endless...

Personally, if they're ever going to take up that idea that was bouncing around for awhile back around LK launch (.. beta? I forget when) where they want trees to be more about playstyles and less about roles... Well, I could see them moving towards arms as a tank tree. Fury feels a little odd, but I could imagine 2h tanking as arms.

Problem being, warriors don't have magical considerations that could compensate, like frost presence does for DKs.. As it is, there isn't a lot of reason to give warriors shield-less tanking. But we'll see what the future holds.

My guess: Cata, Blizz will work to clear the palette of each spec so that at some point in the future, they can go back and really decide what a tree should have.

Consider this: If they're aiming to remove the boring small-% talents (+1/2/3/4/5% crit, etc), to replace them with "fun" talents, how many talents will really remain? It depends a lot on where they draw the line, but compare Arms with like, Blood. DKs' talents are already, in many senses, designed the way they're going to redesign other classes' talents. For DK trees, you've got two roles, and it seems quite possible that the DK trees (and Feral, maybe) will seem 50-100% "thicker" than single-role trees. Will they leave that, or will they start moving towards making more trees dual-role?

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo
    the only reason DK's dual weild tank (which they shouldnt) is cause they are not supposed to be able to use shields.
    warriors and paladins will always be sword and board when it comes to tanking and thats all there is to it.
    Why exactly shouldn't they? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nookz
    And what cata concerns, why would you want to dual wield tank? A lot of dk's are allready complaining that they want shields and the mitigation it provides and that shield wearing classes are at a big advantage now. Why would you want to go in the other direction? Warrior tanking is designed around using a shield. The worst thing they could do is mess it up by trying to give us something new like tanking with dual wielding weapons. Hell while they are at it, maybe they could make fury dps use a shield or caster weapons for arms dps, and wands instead of bows/guns, ow god, the great ideas are endless...
    Whatever major advantage blocking tanks have right now is unlikely to persist into Cata, if the "blocks = % mitigation" idea goes through. My take on it (I haven't been closely following this, so I may be off mark) is just that blocking tanks right now can stack a very serious amount of damage reduction, whereas bears/DKs are limited in their block mechanics.

The reason blocking can be stacked so heavily is because for many fights, notably in Ulduar, blocking just wasn't that impressive. In response, they were buffed repeatedly, in the hope that they'd get caught up with %-style mitigation. Now that some encounters have shifted back to where shields' mechanic is useful, we're seeing the effect of those buffs magnified.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrophiel

i don't even know anymore. blizzard's mantra is apparently to appeal to the masses. beg enough and you'll get it. so sure. go for it. it sounds amazing.
    this -.-

For lower content, ulduar non-hard mode bosses and below.. You would want to get some armor + to make up for what you gave up with a shield.

And unrelenting assault tanking build would be the only way to keep aggro and it wouldn't be good for AoE packs. Other then that you'd need another warrior to keep sunders up.

It would be kinda lame for survival, you probably wouldn't want to do it against the last few bosses of uld, even not on hard mode and it wouldn't be very practical (less mobility and loss of some core skills) would leave you high and dry for aoe tanking and the like. HOWEVER it would probably be the highest dps a prot warrior can achieve. Looking at certain gear pieces from ony and crusader craft ables you could definitely do it for lower content without much of a hitch. Just don't expect there to be any chance to actually raid seriously with that build.

Blizz once said (I don't have a reference) something along the lines of arms 2hand tanking but I think it may of just been some little quirky idea that came up at some point. However I do not think we'll ever be able to DW tank. The reason Dk do it is of course, because they can't use shields. And even then some DK chose to tank with a 2 handed weapon.

Edit: highest dps coming from the ideal that spamming nothing but revenge and heroic strike every GCD is > standard rotation in terms of damage and threat.

Dual wielding shields imo > all 8)

This is just my opinion, but Druids tank with there bear hands, pardon the pun, Death knights with a 2 hander, paladins with a 1-hander and a shield, while warriors dual wield tank. Yes warriors are the true dual wield tanks of this game, because most of the time if your using your shield as anything but a weapon with an abnormal amount of armor your doing it wrong. Warriors have so little block chance/block value that blocking isn't really that useful, and due to us not being able to reasonably reach block cap like a paladin stating for it is pointless, we use our shields to bash people in the face, not to block things.

tallent that increases your parry chance
    Don't warriors already have Deflection?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood888
    This is just my opinion, but Druids tank with there bear hands, pardon the pun, Death knights with a 2 hander, paladins with a 1-hander and a shield, while warriors dual wield tank. Yes warriors are the true dual wield tanks of this game, because most of the time if your using your shield as anything but a weapon with an abnormal amount of armor your doing it wrong. Warriors have so little block chance/block value that blocking isn't really that useful, and due to us not being able to reasonably reach block cap like a paladin stating for it is pointless, we use our shields to bash people in the face, not to block things.
    So then why would one want to trade literally facebashing for glancing blows hitting for 200?

An offhand would provide us with less survability, and most likely not outdamage shieldslam anyway. Oh and true dual wield tanks my ass. Warriors have tanked with a shield since the game launched, and fuck me if some retarded wish from a wannabe warrior is gonna take that away.

Yea, that was rather offensive, but you have to realise the stupidity in calling warriors the true DW tanks, when two of our main abilities are removed when not using a shield. Also, let's not forget most of our survability is also tied to having a shield: Shield block, spell reflect, shield wall. Then there's also SHIELD bash.

In all, fuck you.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Back in the early days, it wasn't uncommon for warriors to dual wield tank content they clearly overgeared for extra threat/dmg/rage. Specifically I remember Axemen's MC speed world record, where the tank dual wielded to speed things up (unless I completely missrecall things).

But today, warriors are in a very different state than they were in vanilla, and the shield is used much more offensively than is used to.

No shield slam, no deva. It's doomed to fail. I've tanked Archavon, Emalon and VoA trash with dualwielding Broken Promise and Peacekeeper, but it was really not at all worth it. Huge TPS drop, much more damage taken. I did it with my normal tanking build though, but I imagine it'd be pretty bad even if you spent some points in arms tree to make up for the loss of threat through Deva.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Kezool
    So then why would one want to trade literally facebashing for glancing blows hitting for 200?

An offhand would provide us with less survability, and most likely not outdamage shieldslam anyway. Oh and true dual wield tanks my ass. Warriors have tanked with a shield since the game launched, and fuck me if some retarded wish from a wannabe warrior is gonna take that away.

Yea, that was rather offensive, but you have to realise the stupidity in calling warriors the true DW tanks, when two of our main abilities are removed when not using a shield. Also, let's not forget most of our survability is also tied to having a shield: Shield block, spell reflect, shield wall. Then there's also SHIELD bash.

In all, fuck you.
    L2R...
    He said warriors are true DW tanks, because they use their shields as a weapon most of the time. (with the armour on it as an added bonus)
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by zox
    L2R...
    He said warriors are true DW tanks, because they use their shields as a weapon most of the time. (with the armour on it as an added bonus)
    That is indeed my bad, I won't however edit my post becuse I simply assumed no sensible pro-shield warrior would entirely dissregard the survability benefits of one, and simply state it's for bashing people in the face with.

I can read, but I simply missunderstood. An entirely diffrent matter, and the main purpose of a shield is to get our survability up, it's only in Wotlk it was turned into a powerhouse damagetool, before that the damage was mediocre (not by comparison to our abilites, but to others).