Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Shamans and staves

Enlightenment (and horde equivelent)
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47960
    -From heroic twins is an excellent weapon for a shaman. Sure it's not best in slot, but its at least in the top 4-5 weapon combinations for an elemental shaman, especially good for those who don't have much luck getting a better shield than pulsing spellshield. It all depends on if its an upgrade or not. It's not for scrub shamans as some people say. Sure the Heroic shield from Faction Champs and the Mace from Heroic Anub25 are best in slot, but not everyone is going to be able to get that. Enlightenment and cold convergeance are fine choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrottas
    And Shields are still better for PvP because of higher Armor Ratings to survive Physical Burst and you also lose part of an Avoidance Stat (Block) if you Totem Stomping needs to be done as a healer it takes considerably longer w/ a Staff compared to a 1H as well.

1h/Shield beats out Staff any day for Shaman
    You probably shouldn't be blocking in PvP since you need to be not casting and not incapacitated for you to have a chance to block (5% given these conditions). The amount of armor on a shield nearly doubles your armor rating and this is very nice for PvP as you stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kordy
    Enlightenment (and horde equivelent)
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47960
    -From heroic twins is an excellent weapon for a shaman. Sure it's not best in slot, but its at least in the top 4-5 weapon combinations for an elemental shaman, especially good for those who don't have much luck getting a better shield than pulsing spellshield. It all depends on if its an upgrade or not. It's not for scrub shamans as some people say. Sure the Heroic shield from Faction Champs and the Mace from Heroic Anub25 are best in slot, but not everyone is going to be able to get that. Enlightenment and cold convergeance are fine choices.
    You're right, that it's a good weapon for them, but would you honestly let a resto or elem sham have the same priority on that, as you would a mage lock, priest, or druid?

10+ Year Old Account

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Some of the staves from ToC are okay to use as a shaman (more talking of elemental than resto here) because Cold Convergence and Enlightenment do not have spirit at all and have the idea triple stats we want: crit, haste, sp.

Even though my main is an elemental shaman, I use the heroic Enlightenment because it was a massive upgrade over Voice of Reason/Aesuga. Yes, I never got Wisdom's Hold or Pulsing Spellshield (I have the worse luck in getting shields to drop) but even with the normal ToC25 Bastion of Purity, the staff still overrides my 1H/Shield combo.

Far as a pug is concerned, it's dependent on the raid leader and his/her ability to listen and understand your bid on the item. I run ToGC10 with my prot paladin alt and allowed the elemental shaman to roll on it with a resto druid and lock in the group as well. Granted the lock wasn't too happy about it but you can't please everyone.

If the raid leader or anyone asks why you, a shaman, are rolling on a staff, just explain. Can't hurt otherwise other than not saying something and having them think you are in the mentality of most PuG people of "zomg purplez, must have".
    :3

To everyone who says that one hand plus offhand is better, you are all right. The same goes for every other class that can use staffs. The point is why can priests/druids roll on staffs but not shamans, assuming no spirit. No ones debating whether or not staffs are better in general.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

shaman can, have, and will forever use staves, but as it stands the ilvl system means there will never be a staff as good and well utilized on a shaman as a one hander and shield in any scenario
    Currently writing the Shaman Manifesto. Will include QQ, e-peen blazes, nerfs, and lightning. God damn i love lightning.

If the staff is better than your 1h+shield, by all means go for it, especially those 3 socket staves.

Although, if you ever decide to pug, some idiots may not let you roll on staves

Thing is a lot of you people are saying Shamans shouldn't roll on staves because other classes (Druids, Priests, Locks, Mages) can and should be given them first. But those other classes can also use a 1-hand / Off-hand combo.

Upgrade is upgrade.

I'm really surprised more people aren't able to comprehend that sp is not the end-all stat for resto that it is for ele. Yes, ele shamans do not receive as much benefit from staves as they would from a 1h + oh combo (although H enlightenment is close with all that juicy haste).

However, resto shammys with top gear atm should probably all be maxing haste, even over sp. Get those chain heal casts down and maximize your hps. Don't waste throwing sockets into overhealing sp, you would be better off getting additional chain heal casts in. It's more effective healing for the same amount of time.

For that reason, resto shamans should absolutely be a top contender on staves without spirit on them, such as H enlightenment.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jathro
    Thing is a lot of you people are saying Shamans shouldn't roll on staves because other classes (Druids, Priests, Locks, Mages) can and should be given them first. But those other classes can also use a 1-hand / Off-hand combo.

Upgrade is upgrade.
    That's not true. With the 2 staff enchants it made staves a viable option for casters and why you see a lot of casters with staves now. Granted the majority of staves have spirit on them which is why you don't see shaman with them on typically but you will come across A LOT of priest, mage, lock, and druids with them on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw
    You probably shouldn't be blocking in PvP since you need to be not casting and not incapacitated for you to have a chance to block (5% given these conditions). The amount of armor on a shield nearly doubles your armor rating and this is very nice for PvP as you stated.
    You're not always using Casting Time spells, especially with ES and Riptide, so Block can very well help, granted you should NEVER stack it but it helps.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by tacklebox
    In the realm of the super casuals its fine. But if you're at least running naxx no shaman should be using staves. Maybe we'll see another zardoom this expansion but until then its a noob flag.
    a 0/16/55 is a real noob flag from my point of view Shaman can use staves, preferably healers because elemental will loose sp their major stat.

I apologize for not being polite but you started using the word noob.

i sympathize with my shammy bretheren, ulduar and toc havnt been that good to us, i remeber seeign morning star drop in ulduar only to see every priest and druid in our raid roll on it /cry

recently got sufferings end on my resto shammy and a druid psst me to give it to him(i was using a naxx mace at the time) of course i was like heck no and of course "how dare you!!!" lol.

But yeah roll for it, were seem to go so far in btwn our usual shield and mace upgrades it's fine to roll on those , i mean they roll on our maces when they drop in a blue moon ...and win.