Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Paladin tank critics.

Ok guys my armory is in my sig so i won't bother giving you a link.I pretty much know what to do when it comes to enchants/gems though i would like to ask you guys(The more pro paladin tanks) what do you think of my current gear and point me if i've misenchanted or misgemmed an item(s).Any critics are welcome,since i want to be on top of my game. ;D

Deleted

Re: Paladin tank critics.

Get rid of that def gem.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy
    Get rid of that def gem.
    Exactly what i was talking about.I guess i forgot to remove it when i got my new ToC gear since i had to take it in order to be over def cap.Making a 10hit/15stam replacement for it right now. :

What's up with the def enchants on chest/back?

Get HP/Agility/Armor.

Other than that, looks pretty decent to me.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Failcon
    Ok guys my armory is in my sig so i won't bother giving you a link.I pretty much know what to do when it comes to enchants/gems though i would like to ask you guys(The more pro paladin tanks) what do you think of my current gear and point me if i've misenchanted or misgemmed an item(s).Any critics are welcome,since i want to be on top of my game. ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantia.
    What's up with the def enchants on chest/back?

Get HP/Agility/Armor.

Other than that, looks pretty decent to me.
    This here.

As well as the enchant on your gloves, replace those with Stam for EH, and +Hit or +AP for TPS.

Your gemming is pretty bad, tbh. You went out of your way to make every socket bonus on your gear. Using Expertise/Stam, Hit/Stam, and Defense/Stam is not necessary in the least.

-You are 24 over the def cap.
    -You are 16 over the expertise softcap.

[Austere Earthsiege Diamond] Only requires 1 red and 2 blue gems. Use a Shifting or Regal Dreadstone to cover your meta. Gemming for hit isn't terrible. Gemming for expertise is.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Tnx for the replies so far.I actually have the T9 legs in my bank so i'll put them on right now and aslo try to get the Head from Onyxia.Also i'm 33 expertise with SoV active now.And what do you reckon i put in the sockets that i have expertise/hit?Go for pure 30 stamina ignoring the bonuses?

Quote Originally Posted by Failcon
    Tnx for the replies so far.I actually have the T9 legs in my bank so i'll put them on right now and aslo try to get the Head from Onyxia.Also i'm 33 expertise with SoV active now.And what do you reckon i put in the sockets that i have expertise/hit?Go for pure 30 stamina ignoring the bonuses?
    My thoughts:

There are several ways to gem:
    Pure stamina: This is great if you have problems against huge damage bosses (Anub/Gormok), because it might allow you to survive heavy damage spikes
    -> 30 Stam in every Slot +
    Hp on Chest / Armor Cloak / Stamina on Gloves / Shield / Shoulders

High stamina - balanced:
    You sacrifice stamina for socket bonuses or enchants, that would mean a big sacrifice in itimization points:
    -> 30 Stamina in +4 stats sockets (or +6 stamina) , Stamina + Def or Stamina + Agi in +6 Sockets (or +9 stamina),
    HP Chest, Armor Cloak , Stamina Gloves + Shield, Stamina or Def on Shoulders

Avoidance, balanced:
    Take all socket bonuses (except for those that are really pointless), trying to maximize item points:
    -> Blue = Stamina, Red = Stamina+Agi, Yellow = Stamina + Def,
    Def Chest, Agi Cloak , Agi or Hit Gloves, Def or Block on Shield, Def on Shoulders

pure Avoidance:
    Mainly used for fast hitters or Anub adds:
    Get as much def as you can, because it gives the highest amount of Avoidance per point.
    -> + Def in all Slots unless it's a Red Slot that gives Avoidance.
    Def Chest, Agi Cloak , Agi Gloves, Def Shoulders, Agi Gloves, Def Shield.

Expertise:

There's a maintankadin post, that statest, that Expertise is just about as good as dodge to Avoid attacks (as long as bosses can be parry hasted) and gives a small amount of threat.
    That being said, it's still not a great stat for a paladin, but you shouldn't avoid it like the pest either, 26 for Dodge cap is worth keeping for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    -You are 24 over the def softcap.
    -You are 16 over the expertise softcap.
    Fixed.

Helm: use def/stam
    Cloak: Armor chant
    Chest: Health chant, replace expertise/stam gem with either dodge/stam or str/stam
    Wrist: Def/stam or ignore the socket bonus for straight up stam
    Shield: 18 stam or 80 BV
    Gloves: Heavy borean armor kit for a chant. Same for gloves gems as I mentioned about the wrists.
    Legs: Again with the expertise/stam gems, replace them.
    Boots: As I've already mentioned 6 stam socket bonuses aren't really worth going for.

Spec: perfect

Glyphs: HotR is really useless for a maintank. Consider something like glyph of salv or the taunt glyph if you feel your hit is really low.

Following these suggestions, your health will increase. You may lose some hit and a few expertise (but those are minor threat stats and you have way more expertise then necessary). Ideally, you would want to drop some expertise in favor of better stats. Drop the few remaining SBR pieces as well, as SBR does nothing for you.

Is it just me, or does no-one out there in tank-land know that http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33148 exists? PERSONALLY i think its the bestest but i stacked stam lol http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...7Thos&n=Cracks
    anyways, just thought i should say something

Quote Originally Posted by Iplaywow
    Is it just me, or does no-one out there in tank-land know that http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33148 exists? PERSONALLY i think its the bestest but i stacked stam lol http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...7Thos&n=Cracks
    anyways, just thought i should say something
    There's a 16 def to cloak enchant.

Def is more avoidance point for point when compared to dodge.

16 is bigger then 12.

Ergo, you might want to post less.

Expertise isn't a stat worth worrying over, threat shouldn't be a problem for main content raiders in 25-mans. Nor does it make is worth over stats for health, avoidance or midigation ... Parry hasting on bosses isn't something to worry about.

As people said, get rid of the expertise/stam gems. Go pure stam for 1 and Agi/Stam or Dodge/stam as to your preference for the other.

Get rid of your belt from Razorscale, block is fun as a paladin but overvauled after a certain point and in raid settings you usually always are unhittable with holy shield up. Dodge/Parry are both more valueable as long as you're at the unhittable mark. Go get the Runed orb crafted belt or the one from ToC ... both work.

Those trinkets make me die inside ... Effective Health is fun but for ghetto on-uses like theirs, the extra stam doesn't make it better than the lower stam pre-CC King Llanes/Heart of Iron/ or The Black Heart.
    What is tank?

"The basic idea of a tank is well understood. It works like an argument with my mother. The mobs keeps beating on you, and the more you throw it's own shit back at it, the more it focuses on you and hates you. Perplexing enough, this is actually not only your goal, but the mob eventually gives you loot and money when it dies instead of writing you out of its will." (Senotay)

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    As well as the enchant on your gloves, replace those with Stam for EH, and +Hit or +AP for TPS.
    Glove enchant is fine, they're all about the same value-wise. With CC, doing stam or +AP is stupid because we get so limited +hit gear though I've always favored the Parry/Threat enchant.
    What is tank?

"The basic idea of a tank is well understood. It works like an argument with my mother. The mobs keeps beating on you, and the more you throw it's own shit back at it, the more it focuses on you and hates you. Perplexing enough, this is actually not only your goal, but the mob eventually gives you loot and money when it dies instead of writing you out of its will." (Senotay)

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Destriel
    Glove enchant is fine, they're all about the same value-wise. With CC, doing stam or +AP is stupid because we get so limited +hit gear though I've always favored the Parry/Threat enchant.
    I agree with this in a sense.

I don't think people should say you should give up X enchant for Y Enchant because they think EH or threat is more important.

There's a lot of ways you can go with tanking, be it Avoidance stats, Eh Stats, or Threat stats.

~Randomly felt like typing something that probably didn't mean much and was weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

I'll also rephrase my comment, only the +AP to gloves is stupid. Stam is fine but isn't as impactful as the others however nothing to overstress about a change that is more of a playstyle decision.
    What is tank?

Eh, I'll disagree with the others on some points. Your gear is solid, but it lacks hit. Therefore, I'd suggest using more stam/hit gems in your yellow sockets. I don't see anything wrong with the gear. I would've used stamina to shoulders, stamina to shield, stats to chest, and agility to cloak instead. However, I find that's more of a style choice and isn't meant to say something is wrong with your setup. Contrary to what some have suggested, I would recommend not changing your glove enchant whatsoever.

Your talent setup looks solid. However, it leaves me wondering if someone else provides demoralizing shout for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bael
    Your talent setup looks solid. However, it leaves me wondering if someone else provides demoralizing shout for you.
    Even if they are, Vindication is stronger ... even if only by like 2-4 points. :-\
    What is tank?

Armor > Def/Agi/Dodge , when it comes to non-profession based cloak enchants after you are above the defense cap, from my opinion... others could disagree but armor cuts down more damage than people consider from the harder hitters especially when you're forced into a block situation when dodge and parry hit DR.
    What is tank?

Deleted

Am I the only one who read 'Paladin Tanks Critters' and lol'd?

Nah. Lil K.T. tanks critters. ;D