Thread: MM in 3v3

MM in 3v3

Hey all. I run 3v3 with me (SV hunter) a ret pally and a disc priest. I keep hearing over and over and over that MM is sooo much better a spec to use when you run with a ret pally. So my questions are this:

1. Is this true? Is MM better to use than SV when with a ret pally, and if yes how come?

2. I know MM hunters need ArP (at least last I checked), so if I were to switch to MM how much ArP should I be floating around?

3. As a MM PvP hunter, what talents would I absolutely need and which should I avoid all together?

Here is my armory link in case you need to look at my gear: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shu'halo&n=Drasill I appreciate all the help, this is my first arena season and I'm just trying to get as good as I can. Thanks all ^^

Re: MM in 3v3

I haven't played MM pvp as hunter, im surv 2200 in 2s, but im almost 95 % sure that even on MM you dont need Arp gems. Just put 2-3 spell penetration gems and others Agility. Why spell pene? Chimera shot dmg from SS is nature dmg. Arcane shot is ...arcane dmg x_X. Other 2 shots are physical, but steady shot is used rare. Buy AS, Disengage, and SS/Chimera shot glyph. If you play with ret paladin, and you dont have enough time played MM, just do it survival. MM shots can be sometimes avoided with LoS, also SS is simply dispelled.
    When We Ride Our Enemies..

I am doing 3s with a ret and resto druid and we are at 2k+ rite now. MM is useful against RMP and all caster teams because ret dont have any interrupt. I am playing survival atm and I dont feel to switch to MM because MM is all about ur crit chance and it do shitty dps if ur crit is low. Also, its hard to play because you have to keep very close eye on all GCDs. Survival is far easy to play in comparison to MM.
    My advise is just stick to survival until you get t2 weapon

msb, could you explain me how you guys handle RMP? I run the same combo atm but have trouble with them unless they are shitty geared or just shit players. If they are somewhat good, we have a high chances loosing.

We usually go for the rogue and try to cc the mage while outnuke the heals from the priest.
    Others say its better to nuke the mage and cc the rogue, any idea's on this?
    Also could you link your armory?

Cheers!

I don't really play any higher than 1700 or so in 3s, then again, I'm not at all serious about it.

I play a "just for fun" zerg 3s team at the moment as MM and when it works, it is really, really fun. Any combination of MM Hunter/dps/healer can do well with a cleave strat, as long as the team is capable of protecting the hunter. Personally, I was doing MM Hunter/Fire Mage/Resto Druid. I (the hunter) run in full T9 25 hard mode gear and the goal is simply to frontload all of my damage on their softest target and kill it before they can even react. (Like I said, this is a 1700 team, not 2200+)

Important points:
    Silence shot is off the GCD and can be macro'd.
    Shamans, rogues and priests can all be really squishy if they aren't ready for you.

Shot Sequence:
    Hunter's Mark
    Serpent Sting
    Silence Shot - Chimera Shot (same GCD)
    Aimed Shot
    Rapid Fire - Blood Fury - Call of the Wild
    Readiness
    Silence Shot - Chimera Shot (same GCD)
    Aimed Shot
    *usually they are dead by here*

The trick is timing and support. In your case with a ret paladin and a disc priest, this comp should be fairly effective. Here are some tricks and tips.
    1.) Throw a frost arrow at your target first and see if they trinket it. As soon as they trinket, the ret paladin should HoJ them.
    2.) By the time you get to readiness, the target will be trying to LoS you. They'll have a MS on them and just be coming out of silence. This is an ideal time for an HoJ. If they have to trinket instead of healing, you'll have a greater chance of killing them.
    3.) The ret paladin needs to make a macro to BoP you and the disc priest needs to be ready to pain suppression you. You need to make a cancel aura macro for the BoP to continue your burst. This should be used as a last ditch effort if you get zerged.

Targets to go for:
    Usually this depends on HP. With a disc priest you have some flexibility if they will be able to mass dispel ice blocks and bubbles. In general, the easiest class for an MM hunter to kill is a shaman. I've found a disc priest is easy to kill if you can get rid of their pain suppression or if you can keep them silenced long enough.
    Usually my priority is the following:
    1.) Shaman
    2.) Priest/Rogue
    3.) Mage
    4.) Warrior (if you have ArP)

Teams you'll face:
    The two major teams I run into at the 1700 bracket are RMP and Paladin/Warrior/DK. Most /random teams are easier to beat, but these two comps still out as a little difficult.

RMP:
    If you can get the rogue out early, you'll probably win. He can fall over easily with a single CC on the healer. If not, you have to choose between the mage and the priest. The mage will ice block, so I usually go on the priest. I don't have a mass dispel though. If your priest is good enough, the mage may be a target.
    WATCH OUT FOR DISMANTLE. It will screw you over. You have to switch to survival mode if you get dismantled and almost zero of our defenses work while dismantled. You need to have CC ready for the rogue if you cannot pull him out early. Weapon Chain is a must.

PWD:
    This comp sucks and is based on how bad blizzard is at making their gear properly this expansion. The problems with this comp are numerous.
    1.) Every player will have 30k+ HP. This makes bursting really difficult.
    2.) The paladin can bubble and bop and is a bit harder to CC with sacrifice.
    3.) The death knight will pop antimagic shield/shell if he doesn't suck. This means your Chimera Shot will barely do damage.
    4.) The warrior (especially if prot) can shut you down if you aren't careful. At the same time, kiting him will lower your dps significantly.

So what do you do? What my team has come up with is this: we bait the warrior. We try to make either our mage or druid look vulnerable enough to get the warrior to charge them, preferably out of LoS or range of his healer. I then have about 5 seconds at most to kill him before he gets away and we lose. With a ret paladin teammate, hammer the warrior when you use readiness so he cannot escape as easily. You're going to want to fear/repentance their paladin around the same time hammer goes off, hopefully to prevent a BoP on the warrior. The only task remaining then is to not die to the DK who will be pretty much roaming free. Using snake traps and slowing traps preemptively helps out here.

My experience with those comps is that we'd win at most 50% of the time against them. My team composition kind of sucks though. If the mage was frost and good, it would be a lot easier. Your team just needs to know that you're the soft link on the team and that they have to save you to let your burst go through, or else it will turn into a survival match. (Hint: Paladins/DKs win survival matches, not hunters.)

Overall, this comp is really fun to play. It pisses off the other team really badly when they lose. One of the first times I ran it we matched against a ele shaman/rogue/priest team, and I killed the ele shaman without him getting a single point of damage off in the first 10 seconds of the match. Their team was 2200. Once you get into the RMP bracket though, it really starts to suck. I suggest varying gear up as you progress. If the rogue opens on you and you don't have PvP gear on, he can easily kill you within the stun lock.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.