Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted

Re: [Important] Signatures + Avatars

Quote Originally Posted by TallanX
    Hes talking about a image + text under it which would make it larger then the pxiel allowed. You can't eyeball the extra distance with the text added unless you use an external source on the page. Thus your not able to see if your sig breaks the limit. Pics are easy to tell yes, pics + lines of text not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by NonMagical
    Yeah, some of us had simple quotes in our signature. We can't simply right click on it to check the size or pixel count.
    You are both right and I should have read more into it than just glancing quickly through.
    I do seem to remember that you could count a line of text as 10-5 px high, though it seems to have been removed from the first post.
    As to when your lines in your signature stretches beyond 500 px your guess is as well as mine. Don't know how strictly it is enforced but if you got a 100px high signature and put a sentence under, in theory you should have gone over the limit. Quite messy I agree but pictures should say a 1000 words, or that's what some people proclaim.

It seems to be getting to the point where some peoples stuff are being reported for 1 pixil over and such. Its turning into a freaking witch hunt I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NonMagical
    Yeah, some of us had simple quotes in our signature. We can't simply right click on it to check the size or pixel count.
    No but you read the guidelines posted: http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...93/#msg1725993

Quote Originally Posted by TallanX
    It seems to be getting to the point where some peoples stuff are being reported for 1 pixil over and such. Its turning into a freaking witch hunt I think.
    It's funny, I've reported a few people who's sigs height was more than double and they remained unchanged :-\

Re: Signatures + Avatars

That's just Venara being lazy :P

Well they better get better speeds, because i'm not limiting myself only gay sigs like the lot of these people use.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

is my sig okay in terms of rules?

15+ Year Old Account

500px, check.
    100px, check
    50kb, check..

Hmm
    ALTF4.

When editing other's signatures, please don't vandalize them by making fun of whoever broke the rules. Or even better, send a Message. It's usually more effective as it makes the person actually acknowledge they did something wrong.

Thank you very much, from a disgruntled person who got their signature vandalized because of ~20px.

When creating your signatures, please don't violate the rules by placing large images in. Or even better, don't use images at all. It usually saves screen space which is otherwise wasted.

Thank you very much, from a disgruntled mod who is tired of removing large signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    When creating your signatures, please don't violate the rules by placing large images in. Or even better, don't use images at all. It usually saves screen space which is otherwise wasted.

Thank you very much, from a disgruntled mod who is tired of removing large signatures.
    It's funny when you see people running rampant with big signatures.

I didn't mind having my signature deleted, but making fun of myself in my own signature certainly wasn't cool. Send a message, be a little polite - certainly will have a better impact than editing people's away and lolling at them.

Honestly, either remove everyone's signatures or stop making a witch hunt over a few pixels, then making fun of people who got caught through the hunt.

(btw, NP - just being a good citizen.)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Texco

It's funny, I've reported a few people who's sigs height was more than double and they remained unchanged :-\

Well now I know how my avatar got removed after all this time.

Didn't know the report function is also used to report these type of issues, wouldn't even know how you could tell if a sig was 10 or 20 points over the limit.

Nvm the gif thing I'll be a big boy Xd and google it.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis

Well now I know how my avatar got removed after all this time.
    I didn't report you, I only bother reporting people who's sigs are ridiculously oversized.
    You just happened to post in that filesize-violation goldmine thread

I've noticed 1 or 2 of the new mods have oversized (filesize) avatars, a good start for the team

I'm also curious, when selecting an avatar isn't there a restriction/option that will deny it if it's over the filesize limit? Like 'Invalid avatar selected: Filesize too large'.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Texco

I'm also curious, when selecting an avatar isn't there a restriction/option that will deny it if it's over the filesize limit? Like 'Invalid avatar selected: Filesize too large'.
    Ya this would be good imo.

There back in business and ugly as hell... oh how I hate you guys.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

If someone is in violation, please send them a Message, instead of just removing the Avatar a few times, making them think its a glitch and then banning with no warning.

*points upwards*

100px high image and 1 line (10px) of text

Like shooting fish in a barrel?

-Signatures are there to make you recognized, you don't see some guy signing all his letters with some giant stamp of a LOLCAT in RL do you?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    @Arganis: Rules are rules. Simple as that. 10kb is 10kb. We do show some leniency here and there, but mostly everything above 10kb gets deleted.

Why 10kb? There are about 15 posts on a page, if all of them have a 10kb avatar that makes 150kb of data to load. That's okay.

What if there were no rules? Just today I've deleted a 1.7MB avatar from someone. Imagine that all the 15 posters on a page had a 1.7MB avatar...

Not everyone has broadband internet. Some people browse these forums through their phones.

If you wish to discuss the avatar and signature guidelines further, please do so in this thread.
    No, I understand the rules and as proof from my now modified avatar and sig, I also abide by them.

Still I think we could add another 5kb to avatars and it wouldn't negate the purpose you're talking about. The issue with 10kb is you must go to 32 colors and that's basically where the fugly barrier is, with 15kb you could use 64 which would be a better compromise in quality or you could add a frame so it's not just the back and forth of 2 frames, but that's just me moaning (and yes I understand if your gif is a black line going up and down it can easily be more frames and higher quality while being under 10kb np but not everyone likes black on white =P).
    Facilis Descensus Averno

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xs
    *points upwards*

100px high image and 1 line (10px) of text

Like shooting fish in a barrel?
    The deed is done at last.

I am now purified from any excess pixel.

Amen
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    If someone is in violation, please send them a Message, instead of just removing the Avatar a few times, making them think its a glitch and then banning with no warning.
    We simply don't have the time to do this. You should know just how many people have oversized avatars and signatures.
    The reality is that when someone new registers here, they don't read the rules or the stickies. They google an image they like, regardless of it's dimensions or filesize, and slap it as an avatar or signature on their profiles.

If for each violation we see, we'd have to copy the avatar and/or signature and send them a PM explaining why it's being removed, we'd do nothing but that, and the real "job" we should do, which is moderating posts, wouldn't be done.

Our admins are very busy making the life of us mods easier by creating automated tools which would send PM's with a standard text and the contents that was removed, but this takes a while. For the time being, we'll just continue as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis
    Still I think we could add another 5kb to avatars and it wouldn't negate the purpose you're talking about. The issue with 10kb is you must go to 32 colors and that's basically where the fugly barrier is,...
    We've discussed the limits before we published them. We feel that 10kb is big enough for an image that - let's be honest - isn't all that important to begin with. They serve no real purpose after all.

And I have to disagree with you when it comes to the fuglyness of 10kb avatars. I've seen some pretty nice ones here and there.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor

We've discussed the limits before we published them. We feel that 10kb is big enough for an image that - let's be honest - isn't all that important to begin with. They serve no real purpose after all.

And I have to disagree with you when it comes to the fuglyness of 10kb avatars. I've seen some pretty nice ones here and there.
    Well I guess to each their own, but the opportunity to have a more custom space is why I left the official forums where you feel like a number more than a player.

And as far as the fugly factor goes, it is true you can do a good job with 10kb you just can't have something that use to have hundreds of colors, aka black stick on white background with yellow bullet is best but that's not everyone's taste.

On another note I'm glad to see I am allowed to discuss the issue without any abnormal levels of anxiety or unnecessary threats.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

I'll write how you keep your avatar under the filesize of 10kb and still keep the quality.

(Photoshop)

1. When you make your project, make sure the PPI (Pixels per Inch) is no larger than 72.
    2. Don't make the size any larger than the forum will scale the image to, 80x80px
    3. Don't use animations that are larger than ~20 frames
    4. Crucial step: When you are done with your image and you want to save it, go to: File > Save for Web & Devices.
    5. In the top right hand corner of the newly opened window you can switch between the presets to see if there is any major quality differences while keeping an eye on the bottom left corner for file size.

---

What you do NOT want to do:

* Save your file as any other extension than .gif or .jpg
    * Use the regular save function (File -> Save as)

I get images that are 600x400 px drop down from 802kb to 50 with no quality change.

If you do not own photoshop you can use: http://www.picresize.com/ though this site will not guarantee you match the required filesize.

Alternatively you can use: http://www.smushit.com to reduce the filesize.