The Extent of Phasing And Time Releases In Cataclysm

This is just and educated guess, based on screen shots and conflicting information I have heard, but I think they are really taking the phasing to a new level we haven't really heard much about.

First off Orgrimmar. We all know it is getting redone in dark iron or dark steel of some kind like in northrend. But the screen shots of orgrimmar I saw showed peons standing on scaffolds adding the new dark plates to the pillars infront of orgrimmar.

So are we going to see a time released "renewal" of org starting with the pre-cata patch working up to it's release much like we saw with the Crusader Coliseum being slowly built till the patch when the raid came out?

I do like this, it shows change over time in the game and makes you feel more like part of the world.

Second off, we have heard that a new central area in Deepholm called The Temple Of Earth is the place where Deathwing rested before breaking through to our world, and that it is swarming with Twilight Hammer.

But later in a blizzcast I heard that it will be a centrel quest hub with portals like dalaran/shatt.

Perhaps we will see extensive phasing with taking back the temple of earth, or a Battle of the Temple of Earth.

I am starting to really look forward to these innovations. Heck why stop there, what if after a certain patch those air bombardments on that little NE town in Ashenvale is taken over by orcs after getting enough invasion exposure.

Thoughts?

Re: The Extent of Phasing And Time Releases In Cataclysm

Phasing is awesome. Need moar.

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Phasing is awesome. Need moar.
    Indeed. 0_0

phasing will probably only be used to start the event... once the expansion comes out, everything changes for everyone... kinda like the colliseum... it looks the same for everybody, even if you werent involved in its building....

in the expansion itself who knows how much phasing will be used...

It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    phasing will probably only be used to start the event... once the expansion comes out, everything changes for everyone... kinda like the colliseum... it looks the same for everybody, even if you werent involved in its building....

in the expansion itself who knows how much phasing will be used...

That's what I meant by time release.

Blizzard is getting bolder with permanently changing things.

Phasing: Quest changed areas.
    Time Released: Change something with a new patch like crusader coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless Dreams
    This is just and educated guess, based on screen shots and conflicting information I have heard, but I think they are really taking the phasing to a new level we haven't really heard much about.

First off Orgrimmar. We all know it is getting redone in dark iron or dark steel of some kind like in northrend. But the screen shots of orgrimmar I saw showed peons standing on scaffolds adding the new dark plates to the pillars infront of orgrimmar.

So are we going to see a time released "renewal" of org starting with the pre-cata patch working up to it's release much like we saw with the Crusader Coliseum being slowly built till the patch when the raid came out?

I do like this, it shows change over time in the game and makes you feel more like part of the world.

Second off, we have heard that a new central area in Deepholm called The Temple Of Earth is the place where Deathwing rested before breaking through to our world, and that it is swarming with Twilight Hammer.

But later in a blizzcast I heard that it will be a centrel quest hub with portals like dalaran/shatt.

Perhaps we will see extensive phasing with taking back the temple of earth, or a Battle of the Temple of Earth.

I am starting to really look forward to these innovations. Heck why stop there, what if after a certain patch those air bombardments on that little NE town in Ashenvale is taken over by orcs after getting enough invasion exposure.

Thoughts?
    Two things.
    1. Phasing isn't as sophisticated as people tend to think
    2. You don't appear to know how it works at all.

Any changes that are time released don't need to be "phased" at all. Orgrimmar could just be updated in in patches like the Colliseum.

I agree having the world change dynamically all the time does give the world a lot more depth,that's an interesting idea(if not remotely new) and phasing could be involved but all your examples could be done without using any phasing at all... In fact the way that Blizz does phasing i'd say they'd steer clear of using it in capital cities. (I know they did in orgrimmar already for the Wrathgate event and Undercity) but anything large scale would just run the risk of seperating players. Also why have more than one instance of an area in different phases if you're never going to go back to the old version of it?

At best we'll see phasing used as it was in northrend to do a few things like the Sons of Hodir rep grind and the Icecrown stuff, it's only really useful for questline related or character progress representation, not so good for global changes. Time released stuff could be done easily via patches and/or the same way holidays happen.

Indeed, changing the look of Orgrimmar wouldn't require phasing. The opening of Stormwind harbour didn't for example. But if they wanted to add quests like 'get ten stacks of lumber' for some worker to finish a tower and then afterwards it would be complete only to the questing player that would require phasing. I don't think they'll do that in capital cities however, as phasing does still give certain problems when some people have not yet done a quest and others have. Where there are lots of people often grouped this would be annoying.

I'm sure they'll use a lot of phasing though, and hopefully a lot in quests that would previously get you bummed after you finish them and you see they had no effect what so ever. For example seeing Furbolgs being still quite angry and evil even after you cured or cleansed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencratz
    Two things.
    1. Phasing isn't as sophisticated as people tend to think
    2. You don't appear to know how it works at all.

Any changes that are time released don't need to be "phased" at all. Orgrimmar could just be updated in in patches like the Colliseum.

I agree having the world change dynamically all the time does give the world a lot more depth,that's an interesting idea(if not remotely new) and phasing could be involved but all your examples could be done without using any phasing at all... In fact the way that Blizz does phasing i'd say they'd steer clear of using it in capital cities. (I know they did in orgrimmar already for the Wrathgate event and Undercity) but anything large scale would just run the risk of seperating players. Also why have more than one instance of an area in different phases if you're never going to go back to the old version of it?

At best we'll see phasing used as it was in northrend to do a few things like the Sons of Hodir rep grind and the Icecrown stuff, it's only really useful for questline related or character progress representation, not so good for global changes. Time released stuff could be done easily via patches and/or the same way holidays happen.
    I'll ignore the seemingly haughty opening of your post for now and explain my thought process.

I was referring to phasing and time releases as two separate things. If you looked at an earlier post where I started that I saw time releases as a patch thing like crusader's coli. And phasing as quest released content. I clearly stated that orgrimmar was time released, hence it would change per patch.

The part that I mentioned phasing in was the fact we probably will have to do quests to run out the twilight hammer people from the Temple of Earth in order to make it a neutral quest hub.

Please refrain from being overly critical of someone's perceptions in such situation until you fully read what they are saying.

Thank you. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Furbolger
    Indeed, changing the look of Orgrimmar wouldn't require phasing. The opening of Stormwind harbour didn't for example. But if they wanted to add quests like 'get ten stacks of lumber' for some worker to finish a tower and then afterwards it would be complete only to the questing player that would require phasing. I don't think they'll do that in capital cities however, as phasing does still give certain problems when some people have not yet done a quest and others have. Where there are lots of people often grouped this would be annoying.

I'm sure they'll use a lot of phasing though, and hopefully a lot in quests that would previously get you bummed after you finish them and you see they had no effect what so ever. For example seeing Furbolgs being still quite angry and evil even after you cured or cleansed them.
    True, at blizzcon though they seemed quite proud of their terrain phasing and it was quite beautifully done in the worgen zone when half of the questing zone you've been in sank into the ocean and you had to swim down and help the people that have descended with it.

I think they may be going a bit further with it than they did in northrend.

10+ Year Old Account

Phasing technology is great, but I hope they don't go overboard. I'm worried that too much phasing could segregate portions of the population. Like some high level players might not even be able to see lower level players and so forth.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do I get the feeling you play horde? :P

They might do some phasing in the pre-launch event yeah. Maybe also some phasing with different outcomes depending on certain factors..?

Quote Originally Posted by Chin Music
    Phasing technology is great, but I hope they don't go overboard. I'm worried that too much phasing could segregate portions of the population. Like some high level players might not even be able to see lower level players and so forth.
    I am fairly certain they are keeping that in mind.

I really doubt that any of the phasing will seperate players in a major way.

From northrend's experience, they put a lot of phasing in the middle of quest chains so if you were done with the chain you could see everyone, and if you weren't it only took a few quests to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by MickM
    Why do I get the feeling you play horde? :P

They might do some phasing in the pre-launch event yeah. Maybe also some phasing with different outcomes depending on certain factors..?
    Yes I play horde. ;p
    I am one of those begrudged players that enjoys the horde but hate how their zones look for the most part, Orgrimmar is a terrible looking capital city. And I personally love stormwind.

But I am fond of my trolls(and soon to be goblins) and too many friends/etc are on horde for me to switch.(Besides i dont really like any of the alliance races and worgen are going to be more popular than blood elves.)

I'll ignore the seemingly haughty opening of your post for now and explain my thought process.

I was referring to phasing and time releases as two separate things. If you looked at an earlier post where I started that I saw time releases as a patch thing like crusader's coli. And phasing as quest released content. I clearly stated that orgrimmar was time released, hence it would change per patch.

The part that I mentioned phasing in was the fact we probably will have to do quests to run out the twilight hammer people from the Temple of Earth in order to make it a neutral quest hub.

Please refrain from being overly critical of someone's perceptions in such situation until you fully read what they are saying.

Thank you. =)
    Excuse me?!

I see no link in your initial post.

Please don't be overly critical of people because they're not psychic when responding to their perfectly reasonable posts.

Thank you!

(P.s/ You know there's a modify button right? or do you just like the post count?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencratz
    Excuse me?!

I see no link in your initial post.

Please don't be overly critical of people because they're not psychic when responding to their perfectly reasonable posts.

Thank you!

(P.s/ You know there's a modify button right? or do you just like the post count?)
    Look, I don't want to argue about this. I clearly stated everything about the difference between time released changes through patches and quest released phasing in a reply to someone else clarifying what I meant. Then you came in here and basically told me I was wrong and ignorant, THEN repeated what I said. That really made no sense to me.

I came here to have a friendly discussion, and I would prefer to keep it that way.

(P.S. What does post count have to do with anything? Bragging rights or something? :)

Look, I don't want to argue about this. I clearly stated everything about the difference between time released changes through patches and quest released phasing in a reply to someone else clarifying what I meant. Then you came in here and basically told me I was wrong and ignorant, THEN repeated what I said. That really made no sense to me.

I came here to have a friendly discussion, and I would prefer to keep it that way.
    Seriously why don't you try and calm down now? I've not tried to upset you in anyway where as you are being very accusational towards me.

Look i'm sorry you didnt make yourself clear(I was not the only one to think so, maybe you should read your initial post again) if i misunderstood you i'm sorry, simple as that. I only wish you hadn't been so rude and presumptious in needlessly "defending" yourself.

Please try and consider exactly what it is that i've done that has offended you so.
    I thought you didn't undestand what you said(is that a crime? on either side?) and what did i do?
    I tried to explain it, does that sound like an inherantly unfriendly or ignorant thing to do? I wasn't patronising, i was simply trying to be informative and helpful.
    Then I moved on to discuss the topic in a normal fashion... I even mentioned it was interesting and I thought I was quite reasonably productive and on topic tbh...
    Then you accuse me of being haughty? And tell me i should know what you mean because of something you said to someone else somewhere else? You cannot expect me or anyone else to be aware of whatever it is you've said to other people in other threads.

As far as i see it;
    I misunderstand you = I try to discuss it with you, from not necessarily the angle you approve
    You misunderstand me = I get accusations thrown at me and odd justifications involving posts in other threads...

I was quite happy to discuss the topic and thought it was interesting. as it is though i'm sure you'll be happy to hear i shan't post in your thread again(unless you force me to defend myself), have fun with your "friendly" discussion.

(P.S. What does post count have to do with anything? Bragging rights or something? :)
    Why don't you tell us? You are double posting... Another misunderstanding on your behalf i believe and hardly justifying a roll-eyes smiley... It's considered bad practice on most forums around the internet so it's worth you knowing that it's best to boil it down to single posts. I hope that didn't come across as too "Haughty"

EDIT: Orignally this post was a wall of text discussing the finer points of the argument.... but...

I'd prefer not to drag this argument on any further, I came to the realization that only trolls pull the "calm down bro" and hit on minor double posting mistake to try and further their argument.

Well played sir, I bought it hook line and sinker.

It's off the front page, it's best we keep it that way.