Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Shadow Pries Gurus, Help me out please

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka

Firstly its not the amount of buttons you push, thats somewhat irrelvant, trying to deterioate the discussion of complexity to the amount of buttons you push doesn't achieve anything.
    I didn't mean to oversimplify it, Worshaka. But it's just salt in the wounds, when in the case of an arcane mage, it is particularly true.

15+ Year Old Account

I guess he could have chose a ret pally to compare to us instead of a mage.

I don't even know why I said that, it just pisses me off! lol When the hardest part of dpsing is remembering the 4 spells to put in your castrandom macro something is wrong!

Although I did hear something about them fixing that, anyone care to clarify? I've been away since the release of ulduar and the downfall of shadow scaling...just like the last x-pack lol.

Pretty much what Worshaka said.

Sometimes I'll spend most of my testing on dummies just trying to improve my timing. Doesn't always work out in raids though, since some cases are simply "STOP your dps and move... or die"

Also, Big... last X Pack Shadow Priests, REAL Shadow Priests didn't care much about their DPS. They rolled their class because they were the ultimate in raid utility.

Still bitter about that.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Ummm.. is it just me or did people actually say pre nerf shadow priest dps and post nerf shadow dps were similar?

did you guys never Try this pre nerf?

stack about 600 haste enter a raid against a single target boss..
    when they pop bloodlust
    pop berserking(troll only)
    pop haste trinket
    pop haste pot
    pop engineering haste glove tinker..

do your rotation before all that falls off.. watch shadow word pain hit like a machine gun and stay that way for the entire fight..

then watch as everyone links your damage and says "OMFG SHADOW PRIESTS ARE OP NOW!!!!"

then do that same thing post nerf... and watch how fast the bottom of the barrel comes screaming up at you...

i love the shadow priest.. but blizzard is so damn ignorant.. why not just make mind flay refresh shadow worn pain exactly like recasting it.. and allow it to scale with haste

that way we loose machine gun shadow priest when the haste falls off.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow

Also, Big... last X Pack Shadow Priests, REAL Shadow Priests didn't care much about their DPS. They rolled their class because they were the ultimate in raid utility.

Still bitter about that.

So thanks for driving my point home? I mana batteried with the rest of them. However, towards the end of the last x-pack it was useless to have more than one spriest for the healer group because our dps was shit. Seem familiar? Oh yeah, it's whats happening now!!! "Real shadow priests" may not have cared about their dps, but raid leaders sure as hell did, which is why a 1 spriest raid was the common, and it will be again, is for most guilds already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    The post I was commenting on was in regards to this comment, as we all know Arcane pushes two buttons when Fire pushes 4.
    Okay, name off the fire rotation?

Keep Living Bomb up, else
    Make sure Improved Scorch doesn't fall off, else
    Pyroblast on Hot Streak, else
    Fireball.

Am I wrong? Really?
    Then go ahead and correct me. By all means. The whole "clipping" MF doesn't really matter, nor should I care that people have addons to do it for them. That's like saying Rogues switching weapons counts as part of their rotation.

Tell me again, how wrong I am on a Fire mage's rotation, and what it should look like.
    You are not wrong on fire mage rotation, you're wrong in comparing fire mage playstyle to shadow priest playstyle. I have both classes, fire mage is easier to play in regards to level of concentration.
    All you have to watch for is to squeeze as many fireballs as possible between refreshing LB. That's it. If you get instant pyro in between, great. If not, it's ok since you continue mashing fireball.
    As shadow priest you have to look at two dots and 1 nuke timers and decide what and when to cast in order to be as effective as possible. That bit, calculating in advance and deciding what to cast is what sets off an awesome shadow priest from mediocre one.

I'm not going to hugely enter the discussion on shadow vs fire as i think its been well covered above (ie it is true that generally shadow rotation can be as 'simple' as fire mage, but to do it WELL is a whole different kettle of fish).

However, as an established arcane mage (for a few patches now....) i do take umbrage in the sugestion that we just press 2 buttons..... As with SPriests and most others, there is a sizable gap between a 'faceroll' player (who will only press 2 buttons) and a 'quality' player (who will time CDs / abilities ; use their other skills (free 100% damage on Jaxx in ToC??? the other mage in my guild seems to not know about spellsteal :P)

Granted, as a 'faceroll' arcane you can probably top / get close to topping meters with little skill -but where is the personal pride in that?

As far as i am concerned, i dont care if i am 1st or 5th (in 10 man...) as long as i do the best i can. If i die cos i am freeing a tank using burning bile then as long as we win - im happy

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue