Am I dreaming about Gearscore now?

I think I have heard of some way to block other players from seeing your gearscore with on of GS's settings or an addon but I think I might have dreamed it.

I'm fairly sure I dreamed it but not 100% sure and I wont be content until I know if it is real or not.

Please help me put my mind at ease so I can fall asleep.

Re: Am I dreaming about Gearscore now?

I don't know of any way this would be possible. Also, lolgearscore.

It would be handy if this were real because my lock is about to ding 80 so hiding his gearscore until it isn't, y'know awful, would be great.

Deleted

I'm pretty sure that gearscore inspect's people within range, and then calculates the score there and then. The score is stored on a local database.

If this *is* the case then you essentially want a setting to stop other people inspecting you.

I was in an Onyxia PuG the other day with my elemental shaman alt, someone run the gearscore thingy and I was like 23th in rank (average ilevel 214). People started to bug me and all, I replied, well, let's run the place and then we can do comparisons.

Result is I was in top5 damage (4th to be more precise) and outdamaged (by a huge margin too) most of the wonna be elitists who bugged me at the start. Add to that the hybrid tax and you can see that there is one thing that gearscore doesn't and will never measure and that is knowledge / skill. Have fun with purples that so many people have no absolute idea what to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by arenascrub
    I was in an Onyxia PuG the other day with my elemental shaman alt, someone run the gearscore thingy and I was like 23th in rank (average ilevel 214). People started to bug me and all, I replied, well, let's run the place and then we can do comparisons.

Result is I was in top5 damage (4th to be more precise) and outdamaged (by a huge margin too) most of the wonna be elitists who bugged me at the start. Add to that the hybrid tax and you can see that there is one thing that gearscore doesn't and will never measure and that is knowledge / skill. Have fun with purples that so many people have no absolute idea what to do with.
    Skill means nothing when you're dps sitting in lfg with 3k gearscore knowing that if you were on your tank with the 5k gearscore you would be getting 10 invites before you finished entering in all the instances you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by HallowedRhys
    I'm fairly sure I dreamed it but not 100% sure and I wont be content until I know if it is real or not.
    can i have what you smoked?
    http://worldofwarcraft.mmocluster.com/img_sig/92270.jpg
    (Signature image too large. Please resize it, and read the guidelines.)

Quote Originally Posted by bikkeltje
    can i have what you smoked?
    Yes, yes you can.

^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs
    wow is finnish lore is died

Quote Originally Posted by Hálion
    ^_^
    eh?

Why would you ever need to check a player's gear score. Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepinator
    Why would you ever need to check a player's gear score. Dumb.
    So you can avoid pugging dps with under 4.8k GS.

Deleted

I think I had the same dream, it was a video of some guy inspecting another and all his gear was just ?'s :-\

Quote Originally Posted by lordhakera
    I think I had the same dream, it was a video of some guy inspecting another and all his gear was just ?'s :-\
    Hopefully we're psychic.

To be honest, I just avoid people who use Gearscore anyway. You want to see if someone knows how to play their class? Check that they can enchant, specc and gem properly. It shows they've at least learnt about what does and doesn't help them out. Fine some raids have gear expectations but just by scanning over their gear without some stupid score floating around so give you that indiciation of whether they will be right to go.

Gearscore would be good if people used it to see what people were wearing. But all they do is look at the 1 pretty number to decide.
    Azrax, Level 85 Gnome Rogue
    Kárnivool, Level 85 Human Priest
    <Ka Pai> - New Zealand based 25 man, 3 day raiding guild. We strive to provide an attractive, enjoyable, and constructive raid environment. Currently 4/8 Heroic Dragon Soul.

---- Currently Retired from Early Dragon Soul Progression, will be back for Mists!! ----

Well if you take the addon gearscore, i do think it calculate gems and enchants with it.
    Not gonna take somebody with a Gs of 2k for a toc 10 hc or even normal tbh. Takes no effort at all to get a 4k gs now even for fresh lvl 80, al my chars got gs of 5k, main got 5400.

Seems like someone in this topic got butthurt about not being invited because his gear set is terrible.

:
    (Avatar was too big, sorry!)

I would be interested to know if there is in fact a way to block Gearscore. I get so much incoming addon messages from it that its pretty ridiculous really. I'll be making sure that guildies no longer run this useless mod as a result, but anyone running it who's cursored over my toons and is on the same map still spams my toons inadvertently.

I'm not sure if people who use this mod are actually aware that it needlessly and constantly wastes bandwidth on their PC as well as everyone they've inspected. It also does not feature any options to turn off client whispering (that I know of anyway) as other spam heavy mods such as Cartographer do.

With a number of encounters such as NR Beasts (grrr @ Gormok the DC'er) requiring as little incoming spam as possible a way to block Gearscore would indeed be appreciated.

http://wow-heroes.com is better. GS is only the ilvl of your gear. wowh-heroes gives you score, lets you see if they have achieves, see if they gem/ench correctly, what professions they have & what lvl, and what range of instance/raid they should be in.

PS. Gear score means nothing. Do the raid once & kick anyone who doesn't measure up, then replace them. If that take too much of your time you need to play a different game. Your friends list should be filled with only skilled players you've run with before - add them & Use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftwood
    http://wow-heroes.com is better. GS is only the ilvl of your gear. wowh-heroes gives you score, lets you see if they have achieves, see if they gem/ench correctly, what professions they have & what lvl, and what range of instance/raid they should be in.
    This! Wow-Heroes is much better in judging someones ability to gear/gem/enchant correctly. Then its just a matter of grouping w/them and finding out if their competent.