Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How to redesign arena

Ill start off by saying that i dont like arena, i also know that many people like it. Also if you dont like this system please explain and tell your ideas.

From the point of view of Blizzard Arena made class design alot harder to balance, and sometimes alot of nerfs and buffs here and there just because of it. Alot of times when someone says PvP it means arenas, not battlegrounds (and BGs are the original version of pvp). Many changes in here are due to the fact that rated battlegrounds will be THE group pvp experience when arenas are more for individual skill. All arena statistics will be recorded so you mages can brag about your win ratio against warlocks in the secondary bracket as explained below.

So i would like to propose a change to arena system for Cataclysm, something along the lines of:

Arenas are too dangerous and expensive to run because of Cataclysm, so the goblins remade the rules of arenas
    -No more teams. Each player fights for him/herself against another player in 1v1 only.
    -In the main bracket you only fight against your own class. Rating still applies normally.
    -In the secondary bracket you fight against other classes. Here im not sure if it would award more points or less points, maybe make it 10% of normal rating gains. Secondary bracket does not provide tier-3 arena gear. <-- all this may not be a good idea
    -All cooldowns are now available. Ressurection will count as another point so if you ressurect and die again you lose twice as many points and the winner wins double too.
    -At end of seasons the titles are calculated like now or similar.
    -There can still be skirmish against other classes.
    -There can still be skirmish in 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5. Special cooldowns disabled like now.
    -You can queue as a raid for skirmish arenas, each party will be a separate team, the parties will fight eachother, its not queue against other randoms. Here it may vary, either team 1 and 2 are the ones fighting the rest are spectators, each of of 8 teams are randomly picked to fight eachother or all players in that raid are picked into random teams to fight eachother depending on what bracket you choose (2v2, 3v3 or 5v5)

Gear is divided into 3 tiers. All pvp gear is now 8-piece sets. The gloves bonuses is now rolled into a set bonus. The off-set items are not Unique, this includes two rings, two trinkets, neck, cloak and weapons.
    -Tier1 is the generic type such as the craftable blue gear. Its the "blue" pvp set for new players and yes it includes weapons. The items are generic type but colored like the arena sets. Buyable through honor/badges or arena points.
    -Tier2 is the low-end epic set. These are class/spec specific like they are now. Buyable through highest badges but require alot of them (for example 100 per item). This has only 4 armor-type models like current pvp sets.
    -Tier3 is the high-end epic set. Available only through the main 1v1 bracket. This has only 4 armor-type models but recolored and more fancy, like naxx/ulduar 10/25 sets for these tier2/3.

Each new season/raid-patch introduces a simple way to upgrade your pvp items much like the kirin-tor rings. No more of the "previous-season downgrade" thing. When you buy a new item in season 10 you buy the season 8 first and then upgrade to 9 and 10. The rating requirement for each tier/slot does not change. The Tier1 items will require stuff like frozen orbs/gems/metal bars/cloth bolts/leathers to upgrade. Tier2 and Tier3 will only require a few arena points so in season 10 PVE raiders can buy tier2 season 8 arena set with badges but still need arena points up upgrade to higher seasons. The new-season sets' models should follow the current "same model but more pretty" path.

Re: How to redesign arena

You want to base all arenas on 1v1? For the secondary bracket some classes are literally hopeless against others sometimes and Blizz has said SO many times that they don't balance for it. For the primary bracket, spec matters a lot. And also, resurrection is already usable in arena - but if its 1v1 who are you rezzing?

It will never happen

No, horrible idea. I myself am not a fan of arena either, but your idea is just bad. A main bracket of 1v1, only vs. your own class? That'd get hella boring, hella fast. And guess what, it's already in the game anyway. It's called dueling. You want to 1v1 vs. your own class, go duel outside IF/Org. You're not going to get epics for dueling.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by frag971
    -No more teams. Each player fights for him/herself against another player in 1v1 only.
    no, no, no. this is an mmo, where does solo play have a role in an mmo?
    -In the main bracket you only fight against your own class. Rating still applies normally.
    this is just outright boring. Have you ever dueled ur own class? Even if your smarter, the other guy just begins to mimic you and its annoying more than anything
    -In the secondary bracket you fight against other classes. Here im not sure if it would award more points or less points, maybe make it 10% of normal rating gains. Secondary bracket does not provide tier-3 arena gear. <-- all this may not be a good idea
    game is not balanced around 1v1
    -All cooldowns are now available. Ressurection will count as another point so if you ressurect and die again you lose twice as many points and the winner wins double too.
    Who am I going to res in 1v1? And lets say for soulstone/ankh. I beat the warlock/shaman, but he reses and kills me. So then the game is just even? Nah no thx
    -At end of seasons the titles are calculated like now or similar.
    Ok no change ...
    -There can still be skirmish against other classes.
    Ok no change ...
    -There can still be skirmish in 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5. Special cooldowns disabled like now.
    Ok no change ... except completely useless
    -You can queue as a raid for skirmish arenas, each party will be a separate team, the parties will fight eachother, its not queue against other randoms. Here it may vary, either team 1 and 2 are the ones fighting the rest are spectators, each of of 8 teams are randomly picked to fight eachother or all players in that raid are picked into random teams to fight eachother depending on what bracket you choose (2v2, 3v3 or 5v5)
    Ok no change ... except completely useless

you

are

an

idiot

Deleted

ressurection such as soulstones/anhk. but yeah thats probably a bad idea, maybe just keep the disabled special cooldowns like now
    "not balanced around 1v1" that only means against other classes, here you fight against your own class so there is no need to balance.
    "some classes are hopeless against eachother" cataclysm will change all the talents and mechanics, so you cant realy say that now :\

But isnt the concept of arenas about "Gladiator Duels"? Dueling someone in orgrimmar is one thing, dueling someone you dont know in a rated battle only makes you want to win, when you see a gladiator warrior it means he is one of the best warriors in the battlegroup

Maybe tie in rated battlegrouds for gear somehow...

inb4 "just remove arenas"

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by frag971
    "some classes are hopeless against eachother" cataclysm will change all the talents and mechanics, so you cant realy say that now :\
    Fine, but some classes are hopeless against themselves. Do you really wanna see Resto druid V Resto druid, Holy/Prot Pala vs Holy/Prot pala, resto shaman v resto shaman? I sure as hell don't.

To be honest, I agree that tBC arena's sucked for a lot people. There were some truely gifted players for each class, and they got their shit done, and then there were some truely mediocre players who happened to have the right class/comp, and they got their shit done, and it sucked for everyone else, but today, we have comps that work that i think are outright stupid because almost every class has atleast some decent niche (and almost every class has 1+ spec that is pretty decent with 1+ comp that is good). I see more and more people in more and more classes with more and more specs doing well in arenas.

A lot of this QQ is remnants of tBC arena. WoTLK arena has different balance, and cataclysm will change this further with rated BGs. Stop asking for one on one, almost no one wants it including Blizzard, its as stupid as asking for 1v1 raids.

Just stop. Please
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

maybe the worst idea ...eva

15+ Year Old Account

nope
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

Does the OP have downs?

I SERIOUSLY stopped reading right after the 1v1 part

Quote Originally Posted by Skultharion
    me 2.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skultharion
    i just stopped taking it seriously =/

this is why YOUR NOT A GAME DESIGNER GTFO

Deleted

If you don't like arena you're not in a position to change it. It needs to be someone that enjoys it but isn't happy with an aspect of it. Arena didn't make things harder to balance, it just brings the unbalanced things that are there to begin with to the surface. I myself only just started arena this season, until then I didn't like it either but now I'm really enjoying disc/surv. It's not there for 1v1, perhaps you've had bad experiences with mages bragging but I don't play it to brag about the teams we beat, neither do my friends. We play it because it's the most competitive pvp and it's a rarity that BGs require anywhere near as much attention outside of premade vs premade. Don't get me wrong, BGs are still my favourite aspect of the game but the changes that are already planned are perfectly fine to get everything right without the need to ruin anything.

you go into Arena waiting area with your team mates,

you go to a bank like npc as you go in and he takes all your gear and stores it in a locker like you were going to the swimming baths or something and gives you an Arena specific set of gear.

you move to the starting positions.

the match starts.

you fight.

the match ends.

you exit and pick up your normal gear before leaving.

you get ranked on a tournament ladder.

top X amount on every server or battlegroup get a ranked prize/title at the end of the season.

pure 'skill' based PvP for the sake of PvP and kudos alone.

i dare anyone who claims to be a 'PvPer' come come up with a truly valid argument against the concept.

PS. add spectators who can watch matches on a time lag via a method like the old quake demo recording so they don't cause lag in the actual matches.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobos
    you

are

an

idiot

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit
    you go into Arena waiting area with your team mates,

you go to a bank like npc as you go in and he takes all your gear and stores it in a locker like you were going to the swimming baths or something and gives you an Arena specific set of gear.

you move to the starting positions.

the match starts.

you fight.

the match ends.

you exit and pick up your normal gear before leaving.

you get ranked on a tournament ladder.

top X amount on every server or battlegroup get a ranked prize/title at the end of the season.

pure 'skill' based PvP for the sake of PvP alone.

i dare anyone who claims to be a 'PvPer' come come up with a truly valid argument against the concept.

PS. add spectators who can watch matches on a time lag like the old quake demo recording so they don't cause lag in the actual matches.
    Well, number one I feel like the whole talking to npc thing would take too long. Second, the fuck would be the point of doing arena then? Your not getting gear your just "having fun". Would you continue to raid dungeons over and over again if it didn't involve you getting any piece of gear ever and your gear was just handed to you as you walked into the instance? That would get boring pretty fast. I'm sorry but this sounds retarded as hell to me. I'm sure you will be able to come up with a counter argument since technically your idea is more of a balance thing but still, getting gear is your reward for doing good, not for queing.

At 1st i was aimed to quoting 1st post, but then....well, i think that if u're dont like arenas as it is so much then just qtfo...no, im not angry, just cant understand why you force ruself to play game where no fun for you. Arenas was, is, and, i hope, will be team-vs-team fights, where coordination means more then facerolling (yeah, some etups are totaly "facerolling to 2.5k" but as it says "there are no perfect things in this world").

Only 1 thing need in arens, imho - more landscape difference then simple columns. Blade's egde arens is pefrect but its tiny. Some water, hills, trees and briges will make those games much more intresting - LOS'ing will be not "simple-kite'em-around-this-pillar", but more like wsg-ab "flagfights". Just imagine "small wsg disigned to play 5-5 instead 10-10 and you will get my idea.

P.S. FFA 10-10 arena can be good imho. But with idea of rated BG's im not sure is it needed anymore

My english was bad, but since I left EU for my own loc. server it become even more bad. Sorry for leaving You, EU :P