Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ready to tank ToC 10 hc or not?

Tried a few attempts on ToC 10 hc this week with my team.
    We cant seem to get past the first boss and i am wondering if its due to my gear/hp/avoidance or whatever or just down to the raid in total.
    We are the 3rd team in the guild so i dont get a choice of the prime dps or healers to come along with me but i've been running ToC 10 with the same group for a few weeks and they are mostly 232 and 245 geared so we aren't exactly under geared for it. Am i making it too hard on the healers with my gear or do we just need more practice?

Here's my armory link anyway: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...flight&n=Dewyr

Any feedback to my gear or spec would be appreciated.
    "I wanted this to be professional, efficient, adult, cooperative. Not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way... so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life." - Hans Gruber (Die Hard 1988)

Re: Ready to tank ToC 10 hc or not?

I'll let someone else review your gear since it's been awhile since I have had to go prot.

However, you could provide more information, because at a glance it doesn't appear that you have that bad of gear.

For instance:
    1) Why are you wiping? Worms coming out before Gormok is dead? Are you dieing? DPS dieing?
    2) Whats the average dps look like?
    3) How many healers are you taking?

A lot of times its not the tank and some of these other factors.
    Xentin
    Damage Control [Suramar-US]

Our dps is more than high enough to get Gormok down with maybe 5-10 seconds to spare before the worms enter, however the problem is staying alive that long, which we have only done three times.

The healers we brought with us were two paladins, which are well geared, and fairly skilled players and a druid who is a new addition to the guild and team so i am not too aware of his skill levels yet. Even with two skilled paladin healers myself or the OT seems to die very fast.

I have read that sometimes if your avoidance fails you then the boss can hit you hard twice in less than a second instantly killing you. but with me scratching 50k hp fully buffed i dont see that being the problem. i could be wrong though.
    Not quite sure if it's bad healers or a bad mix of healers (two paladins in a 10 man isn't always good).
    "I wanted this to be professional, efficient, adult, cooperative. Not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way... so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life." - Hans Gruber (Die Hard 1988)

As far as your stats, they look very well enough. I'd direct you to compare your stats with my co-tank in the fight (which we've been able to clear weekly since downing him the first time), Sahncho on Argent Dawn, though I'd be you're not far off from him.

The problem sounds like a hurdle me and my raid had to overcome: The Impale.

Not the DoT it applies, but instead the application attack. It hits like four mac trucks swung at you at high speed by an angry Megatron. And it only hits harder as the fight progresses.

The Impale can not be avoided, so it's a healthy hit of up to 30k mitigated only armor and raw damage reduction abilities (Defensive stance, Shield Wall, Pain Suppression, etc). Fortunately, it hits on a very strict schedule, relayed by Deadly Boss Mods.

The way we were able to muscle through it: good communication with our healers and precise taunts. Since the healers are busy keeping themselves alive, the raid alive, you alive, and staying out of fires, they aren't always able to watch Deadly Boss Mods' announcement that the Impale is coming, so calling it out a few moments in advance is helpful to let them know you need to be at full health very soon. My co-tank and I taunt Gormok off of each other immediately after the second application, allowing the subsequent attacks to hit a tank with full health. By calling out when the tank swap is coming, the healers will be able to lubing the next tank up with heals to prepare for the onslaught.

tl;dr The Impale is likely the problem. Let the healers know ahead of time when it's coming

Ok so the actual damage the impale does is the problem rather than the DoT it applies? I wasn't aware the attack caused that amount of damage. Ok well if we can get past that hurdle we can boost moral and hopefully power onto progress on the worms.

For a full clear of the raid though what should dps be putting out on average? Like i said, i dont get to pick from our best and brightest as i organise 3rd team raids. My highest dps is a hunter who does about 6.5-7k with a retri paladin and a death knight close on his heels and my lowest would be touching on 4.5-5k which is a destro warlock we are trying to gear up atm. Is that sufficient?

I don't have a specific number I can throw you as far as raid DPS. I know we've been able to spike up to 50k, but we use 2 healers instead of 3 on all the fights except for the Twin Valkyr. We're able to take Gormok down with about 30 seconds left before the worms come out.

Assuming you are taking 4 impales what my team usually does is blow a cd (wings, last stand, etc) between the 3rd and 4th impale and then tank swap, it is imperative that healers keep both tanks topped off at all times during the fight.

Assuming other tank aint a paladin i let them goto 4 stacks then i bop them off, they just need to blow last stand on the 3rd and shield wall on the 4th.
    Then when i Get 4 Stacks i bubble them off and divsac.
    If you are extra cautious, throw hand of sac on OT when he is at 2 or 3 stacks, because you should have either a paladin or shaman healing the MT and chain heal/beacon will heal you plenty.
    Get hand of Salv Glyph and make a macro
    Code:
    /cancelaura Hand of Salvation
    /cast [target="yourname"] Hand of Salvation
    (I think that's the right code)

This means u will can take 20% less dmg when impale hits,then hit the macro again to remove the aura, preventing lots of agro drop.

Also both your holy paladins should have Divsac which they should use between ground stomps once 1 of the tanks reaches 3 or 4 stacks.
    All these damage reducing abilities, we are talking 50% reduced damage, if that isn't op, i dont know what is.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Make sure your healers (paladins) are pre-casting holy light before impale or any other spells to come through, that way the holy light goes off right after those spells are casted by the boss..

the raid composition seems fine imo, the only problem seems to be that healers may not get heals casted off right after impale which may end up killing a tank with 3 or 4 stacks...

Your gear is fine, I started ToGC-10 with less. If you get gibbed on Gormok it's usually you not being topped off before and after an impale, same for the OT, sometimes it's hard for healers to keep up if one of them gets a snowbold, excess fire damage, excessive melee team that need recovery from each stomp ... ect.

Just work with your team some more.
    What is tank?

"The basic idea of a tank is well understood. It works like an argument with my mother. The mobs keeps beating on you, and the more you throw it's own shit back at it, the more it focuses on you and hates you. Perplexing enough, this is actually not only your goal, but the mob eventually gives you loot and money when it dies instead of writing you out of its will." (Senotay)

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." -- William Shakespeare

Your gear is not perfect or BiS, but its more than acceptable for tanking ToGC10, but i hardly believe that impale + melee swing is killing you since you have ~49k hp fully buffed, give or take due to raid comp.

On 10 man, gormok doesnt hit hard enough to cause such a massive hp loss in a short period of time, the only way this could be achieved is if the people with snobolds are dying, since that will cause gormok's stacking buff to go 1 higher if someone dies.

You have two pally healers, 1 should beacon you, while the other should be healing you full time 100%, if you're dying around the time of the impales ask for a HoSac from one of the pallies, or time your divine protection for the last impale you're supposed to take before handing the mob off.

Get tank totals - removes BoP automatically (makesure its enabled). Take 3 stacks each and near the end start popping CD's. And its your healer's fault if your dying, get a priest in instead of one of the paladin's... makesure you cleave the snobolds in melee range.

You're geared for it bro. Assuming you're doing what you're supposed to be doing while tanking, the problem lies elsewhere.

My group has myself (41k unbuffed, mostly ToC 25 and ToGC 10 geared, with some ToGC 25 thrown in) and an offtank with *34k* unbuffed HP. We one-shot beasts every week.

In summary, it is NOT your gear. Somebody is doing something horribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    For Beasts, 3 stacks of impale on either 10-man mode is ideal, any more can be a killer, any less and it won't wear off in time. For jormungars, well, just avoid facing them towards the raid (spit can be deadly), and nuke them down as you see fit.

In my raid, we taunt at 2 stacks *however* we do it right before the third stack drops. This means that the tank who is taunting taunts when they have roughly 7 seconds left before their stacks wear off, which is enough time for them to wear off before another stack is applied. Thus no tank ever gets 3 stacks at a time.

Your gear seems fine.

What we do is:

We usually have 2 paladins, any spec.
    When the tanks go the first one gets 4 stacks then he either uses Divine Shield or a Hands of Protection off a paladin (Make sure that you right click the buff to take it off). Same with the second tank, 4 stacks and a Hand of protection, then we do a 2/3 stacks till taunt.

For healers we use Holy Pally, Disc Priest and a Druid.
    Tanks either a paladin and a warrior or a Druid and a Pally/Warr.
    DPS are Hunter (Me)
    2 Rogues.
    Another Hunter.
    and something else.

For the Snobolds, whoever gets it goes behind melee to get them off faster. for the Fire Bomb we usually have the priest keeping Levitate on range and healers, This is so when he throws bombs at you, the fire will despawn.

It is easily done. We don't always have the right setup (2Hunters, 2 Rogues and no shammy we still did it).
    And our gear/DPS isn't that great either. 3.8k-5.2k Max (Yes that low).

When Next boss/s appear: Gomrak -> Worms = about 5sec left.
    Worms -> Icehowl = 5sec late. We had Icehowl OTed While the second worm
    is being Tanked and has 5/10% left and we still manage it.

So like other people said. It is propabbly not your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Aswed
    For the Snobolds, whoever gets it goes behind melee to get them off faster. for the Fire Bomb we usually have the priest keeping Levitate on range and healers, This is so when he throws bombs at you, the fire will despawn.
    Is this true? It would make it alot easier on the healers if it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewyr
    A good priest friend of mine said it was true, but Im not sure.

There is also the idea that having too many people levitated will have him throw firebombs on the melee. Not sure if thats true but its something to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewyr
    It is true. After you take damage from any source though, levitate falls off.

Also, why not just use 3 healers? First time we downed every boss in 10 toc we used 3 healers, except for anub.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni
    After you take damage from any source though, levitate falls off.
    Well it may be a stupid question but atm i just cant think, is there any damage going out on the raid such as healers that would make this a difficult task to keep up? As in a raid wide AoE or something similar.

You look fine to start totgc10. Id swap out those dodge/stams for agi/stam and look around for a nicer weapon if possible.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag