Good morning people (at least for me)
I have recently acquired both: Eitrigg"s Oath & Burnished Quel"Serrar from their respective encounters. This got me thinking, as a raiding tank, am i being ignorant by simply making sure i am defence capped and then stacking stamina until it begins to ooze from my silly, pointy ears or is there actually any real value in avoidance tanking for paladins?
Maybe that question was too direct, of course there is value in avoidance tanking else there would not be so many items out there dubbed 'tank' items with no sign of stamina on. But really my question was this;
Do i have to, at some point, make a decision and be an avoidance tank OR a stam-pool tank. Or is it a case of simply building two differing item sets ?
What I was running with previously was the Essence of Gossamer and the Peacekeeper Blade and it just feels wrong to throw away the +185 Stamina + occasional dmg reduction for the sake of the occasional +100 def rating boost and the extra ~6000 armour.
Now i have always been a fan of ye 'ole block rating, it reduces the dmg i take and boosts TPS nicely with holy shield. BUT, i downloaded 'TankTotals' the other day to try and decide what setup was best for tanking raids. With Peacekeeper and Gossamer equipped i have about 180k effective health (i have about 35k self-buffed, growing to about 41k once raid buffed), with the Burnished Quel"Serrar and Oath trinket i only have about 175k effective health but when the sword procs, this shoots up to the low 200k's of effective health. Tank totals also says that with the stam-pool setup, i can survive a 5k dps output for about 17secs with no help but my own, with the Ony blade and ToC trinket, this increases so about 23secs. Now if TankTotals isnt a load of balls, then an extra 6seconds of unaided survival is AMPLE time for a nice bit of "omfgthetankthetankisdyingspamspamspamhim".
However, surely, SURELY my following assertions hold true:
- The armour bonus given by ToC trinket is only really going to benefit me in fights there the majority of dmg taken is physical. Now we only raid Ulduar, VoA and ToC on a regular basis and there are next to no fights where this is true.
- Gormok maybe but the impale dots sting and more stam makes for longer survival through impales, you can't dodge or absorb with armour, bleed dmg.
- Acid & Dread - They spit more than hit and constant dmg from poison and bile means again...more stam would be nice to soak this up as it cannot be dodged once its on you.
- Yeti dude - Ok, actually quite a physical fight, but its right at the end and he seems to spend most of his time jumping about and breathing on people, VERY little time spent actually stood there hitting me.
- Champions - Ok, maybe avoidance is more useful than stam here if you have a melee heavy enemy team but still, you'd want more stamina surely just in case a caster decided to show you his pimp-hand ?
- Twins - Don't hit hard, the majority of dmg you are going to take here is overload & orbs, none of which armour or dodge is going to help....right ?
- Anub - Ok, a decent amount of physical dmg coming out here, and also less health / more avoidance probably reduces the amount he leeches per tick by a minuscule amount.
- In-line with point 1, extra stamina, and we aren't talking about a single stam gem or something, we are talking near enough +200 stamina here. Surely this extra stamina is going to help you in ANY boss fight you do, as it absorbs (technically) both physical dmg, AND any type of magical dmg.
To compliment my assumptions, it seems that all tier 9 stuff, as well as the high-end tanking pieces seem to drop defence / avoidance and give you....more stamina.
So, someone feel like chucking their views in this thread. I have tried to research this on other threads but i can only seem to find ones as shallow as "avoidance tanking is cool ok!" or they end up being 3 pages of graphs and coefficients that i really cannot make myself understand. There must be SOME reason beyond DK's and Bears that has put all this avoidance stuff in the end-game and kept all the stam-heavy stuff in hc's and low-end raids.
P.S - This was only meant to be a 'few line' question, it's turned into quite the verbal vomit...apologies, if you are reading this far down, thank you for your attention and time.