Tier 8.5 Set Bonus

I only have the ability as of now to get the badge helm and tunic (I really hate the tunic skin). Is the 350 spell power proc from the 2pc bonus really worth holding onto? If I can replace it with the tier 9 or equivalents is that a better direction to go in?

Let me also ask with what's available from badges only, what would be the BiS items from conquest and triumph. I am of course Arcane.
    Raid Leading - it's the next best thing to playing every class and spec, you just can't push the buttons or move the mouse. That's why they die.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Tier 8.5 Set Bonus

I don't think anyone has compiled a best in slot gear list for stuff only available from badges. Sadly, pretty much all PvE outside of raiding is trivial now, so unless you're raiding some progression content, BiS doesn't matter (and even then, the difference between BiS and good non-BiS gear is trivial). Just be smart about what you pick and try to remain as close to the hit cap as possible, and you will be fine.

T8.5 2p is nice, but T9 4p is even nicer. I would start by getting the Shoulders of T9, then the Gloves/Legs depending on which is a bigger upgrade. Finally pick up the helm to get the 4pt9 bonus (thus losing your 2pt8 only when you get 4pt9). Once you have 4pt9, spend badges to get Crusader Orbs and have someone craft you the Merlin's Robe.

Crafted bracers are really good too for a non-raiding mage.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I have heard (as in haven't seen any actual numbers) four-piece of T9.5 with Merlin's Robe is the absolute way to go as Arcane. If anyone could provide any other information I'd be grateful. <3

"Welcome to Orgrimmar. Have you come to serve me whores?"

15+ Year Old Account

That's pretty much correct. The 4pt9 bonus is a huge bonus and the chest is the weakest part of the set while Merlin's Robe is an excellent choice. The rest of the set is superbly itemized, except for the legs, but the four piece makes up for that, and Merlin's Robe is better than any alternatives you have for the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Katave
    I have heard (as in haven't seen any actual numbers) four-piece of T9.5 with Merlin's Robe is the absolute way to go as Arcane. If anyone could provide any other information I'd be grateful. <3

If you don't have access to heroic 25 man gear, yes, it is. T9 robe is garbage, as is T9.232. Run some pugs and get some trophies. If you're rich like all of my guild is (but not me...) just buy trophies from the winners. Badge 245 ring is ~30 dps from our top (258) dps ring for arcane, around 20 from the second (258) one. Skip the badge wand, it's awful. I don't know how your server is, but we have an assload of pugs who clear toc25 every week. My rogue alt is almost best in slot pre-heroic modes.

This patch tried so hard to catch casuals up in gear so they could do icecrown. It's stupidly easy to grab ilvl 245 gear and the heroics aren't even fun anymore. I still like doing HM mimiron25, anub is already trivial and I can do it in my sleep. Attempt based loot is the worst idea ever because our MT decided he wanted to have connection problems starting the day after we first killed anub. Gogo 49 attempts. /angeroff

10+ Year Old Account

to answer the original question: The two piece t8 bonus is good until you get t9.25 (245 ilvl)