Using a Nostromo n52te w/ a shaman

So, a buddy is lending me his Nostromo, so that I can give it a shot. I thought I'd see if any of you guys are using it, for enhance or resto, and if you have any advice for making it work best.

I suspect I'll have to use S&A or some other addon, to tell me when stuff is off C/D, possibly even the shaman UI that whatsisname posted in the sticky thread, as I'm trying to break myself from looking at my action bars. And, I don't want to have floating action bars cluttering up the center of the screen, either.

Any helpful advice?

Deleted

Re: Using a Nostromo n52te w/ a shaman

You do know that the bars etc with ShockAndAwe are entirely customisable you can move them anywhere you want and size them to any size you want.

Sounds like it's S&A for me, then. I'll have to do some tweaking with it, since the last time I tried it, it didn't have the priority queue updated for flame shock or ToQE uptime.

Out of curiosity, where do you place S&A on your screen?

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

I use an n52te and i have to say, once you get use to it i cant play without it. I use it for my war as tanks have 9000 things they need to punch and for my shaman during raids to add a little ease to it.

The only issue i had to get past was moving once you have it, you are forced to wither move your hand to it after you move, using only the mouse to move, or bind some of the keys to movement which cuts down on macro space a LOT.
    Currently writing the Shaman Manifesto. Will include QQ, e-peen blazes, nerfs, and lightning. God damn i love lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by XeroXen TruSin
    I use an n52te and i have to say, once you get use to it i cant play without it. I use it for my war as tanks have 9000 things they need to punch and for my shaman during raids to add a little ease to it.

The only issue i had to get past was moving once you have it, you are forced to wither move your hand to it after you move, using only the mouse to move, or bind some of the keys to movement which cuts down on macro space a LOT.
    My wife bought me one about 6 years ago for FPS play, I have owned 3 of them since then, I cant play without it. I am not understanding your comment about moving though. WASD is default and can be used for movement, the only time my hand comes off of it and onto my keyboard is to type in chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg
    I have owned 3 of them since then, I cant play without it.

I LOVE my n52te

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon
    Sounds like it's S&A for me, then. I'll have to do some tweaking with it, since the last time I tried it, it didn't have the priority queue updated for flame shock or ToQE uptime.

Out of curiosity, where do you place S&A on your screen?
    It does have FlameShock and ToQE however if you have already got a default settings setup you may need to just go into the options and check what is set. Use /saa config and select "Custom Priorities" and set the order to what you want.

As to your second question guess why the defaults are where they are

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg
    My wife bought me one about 6 years ago for FPS play, I have owned 3 of them since then, I cant play without it. I am not understanding your comment about moving though. WASD is default and can be used for movement, the only time my hand comes off of it and onto my keyboard is to type in chat.
    for FPS play its find in default setting (gotta love the 3 prog settings) because you have WASD + reload, alt fire, ect. However for WOoW where someone would be dealing with 20+ abilities for various situations it becomes "easier" to use what would be WASD for more macro/hotkeys
    Currently writing the Shaman Manifesto. Will include QQ, e-peen blazes, nerfs, and lightning. God damn i love lightning.

10+ Year Old Account

I have been playing WoW for over 4 years, off and on, and I have had a Nostromo n52 or n52te for as long. I am not a big raider, nor do I PvP except on my shaman when she was at 49. I am confused by people who use 'wasd' to move. I have a multi button Saitek cyborg mouse similar to the official WoW mouse. I use the mouse and its buttons to move, mount, autorun and so on. My nostromo I have set on the dpad to: up-select next enemy; forward-select next friendly; down-jump; and back-move back/stop running.The button under the thumb I have set to <shift>; above the dpad to <alt=tab> (I play 2 accounts at times) and the remainder of the keys I use for my main spells, which leaves me with 16-17, depending on how you set up the wheel. I am not big on mods or macros, but that is a personal choice. My keyboard is the original Logitech G-15 with the 18 programmable gaming keys on the left. I have those set up for <ctrl>; <alt>; '/logout' and my login info. I have played around before with having 1 of the Nostromo buttons toggle either the different modes (red-blue-green) or to toggle through the action bars. The hardest thing for me is to remember which keys are for what spells if I have not played a certain class in a while. In PuG AB's I was regularly in the top 5 overall, so I think it helps. Just my 2 cents.

Man, I guess I am weird. I have all of my key bindings set to the original settings, except for my action bars, which I use the WoW Mouse for. That is really all I need, I mean, that's why we have a keyboard. So it has keys, which we can press to do stuff. Not bashing anyone, I have a n52te myself, used it for about a month, didn't like it, and went back to my WoW mouse/keyboard setup.

Deleted

I'm the same Nezapadooke. I use the keyboard for almost everything. The ONLY time I need the mouse is for right clicking to loot the body. I have both hands on the keyboard in combat. If I had to stop move my hand to the mouse and click something I'd significantly lower my dps.

I just detest using the mouse to move as the camera angle inevitably ends up pointing somewhere completely different and instead of running forward I'd find myself running sideways. So long long long ago I decided not to use the mouse.

The second more practical reason is that I'm very commonly playing on a laptop and there is no way I'm using a trackpad to move around its just way way too slow and inaccurate to move across the screen during combat so I have learnt to simply not use a mouse at all in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by mykro9
    My keyboard is the original Logitech G-15 with the 18 programmable gaming keys on the left. I have those set up for <ctrl>; <alt>; '/logout' and my login info.
    Does this mean you have your login info hotkeyed?!!?!?! lol

Once I resolve a pesky USB conflict (lame headset), I'll be using the n52te in my left hand, and the logitech G5 mouse in my right.

I'll have to change all my left/right click macros (/cry) to alt/shift macros, but that's doable.

When I'm playing enh I use my n52te all the time. It is absolutely awesome. My setup is quite simple as well. I have 3 rows of 12 button bars at the bottom of my screen (use dominos for this setup).

The bottom row of buttons are bound to "1 thru =". The second row of buttons are bound to "CTRL+Q thru CTRL+]". This makes it easy for me to remap keys on every new toon I make as well as keep a "standard" mapping on my n52.

On all of my toons, I setup my spells in the "same mannor" i.e. I use my primary casts on the 1-5 keys (dps spells) that are easy for me to reach on the gamepad.

Here is an illustration of what my bindings look like:

Top Row: C-Q C-W C-E C-R =
    Middle row: 1 2 3 4 5
    Bottom Row: 6 7 8 / (/ is my keybind for Vent mic open)

"Scroll wheel twards me" is bound to C-T and "Scroll wheel away from me" is bound to C-Y. Scroll wheel button is bound to C-].

D-Pad down is C-[, D-pad forward is C-P, D-pad up is C-O and D-pad back is "Arrow back" to allow me to move backwards.

The other keys that are bound and not shown here are bound to the other keys of my mouse (Logitech MX Revolution).

I mouse move 100% of the time when DPSing but when healing, I use VuhDo click casting and still move my hand to the WASD keys for movement as I need to be able to move faster than with just the mouse and strafe much more often when healing to avoid "bad stuff" and get in range or cancel a spell.

Hope this helps out a bit