Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which spec is "true" lock spec?

Rougly, demo looks like hunter, Affli like SP and destro like mage...or am i wrong?

So, if i wanna level lock, what should spec to be "unique"?

Re: Which spec is "true" lock spec?

0/0/0 wont get many other locks with that spec

well imo :P

affliction or demo

destro is a shadow/fire mage

out the two affliction is the eviler spec
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

"Unique" does not make a good leveling spec.

I would highly suggest Affliction for self healing.
    Demonology is good to, for stronger pets.
    Destruction is primarily burst damage, better for PvP or end-game.

Don't use talents, don't use spells, just kill every mob with your lvl 1 dagger. You'll be very unique.

SPriest is a "weak warlock" spec. Consider that a priest's "true" spec would be holy/disc or disc/holy. Of course that design has changed, where the "weak" part no longer applies...but in my mind, the true warlock spec is affliction - locks are the original "dots" class.

Despite this, if you are planning on leveling Affliction, putting 8 points into demonology in order to get improved voidwalker (it's now called something else, but it's a second tier talent that improves the threat generated by your VW) is never a bad choice. The less damage you take (from anything but lifetap) the more damage you output.

Click on my website link - it's the whole history of Azeroth in point form!

Quote Originally Posted by maniac2
    Rougly, demo looks like hunter, Affli like SP and destro like mage...or am i wrong?

So, if i wanna level lock, what should spec to be "unique"?
    I guess you ask from RP point of view, so I'd say true warlock is destro. Master at channeling fel energies, conflagrating their enemies and stereothypical world destroyer

Affli is also good one. DOTter like SPriest, but Spriest is actually master of mind (hence Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind Vision and so forth) and a bit of vampire while Warlock attacks physical side of others (Curse of Weakness, C o Agony) and their soul (which is not a mind ).

True demo warlock would feel more truly if he was able to summon lots of demons to do his bidding

That's how I see it

A true Warlock, is an Affliction-warlock.

With that said, Demo/Destro are still warlocks, obviously, but when I think of Warlock, I (rightfully) think of Affliction.

*blink* Heh. Warlocks and hunters funciton under the same mechanics - ranged DPS of a form, with pet management. Past that, they're nothing alike, and comparing Demo to Hunter is really giggle-worthy in my book, especially picking out one spec of lock for that, as all three have something to gain from having some kind of pet out. (Demo just happens to behave like the BM hunter tree, where they gain synergy with their pet beyond the other specs and buff their pet and rely on it more.) For leveling, demo has worthwhile talents, at least in early tree.

Destruction is more 'mage like' but you still use certain very warlock traits, you just focus more on fire spells then anything else at that point. Useful if you have shadow resistance issues, although .. yeah, gotta watch the fire ones instead.

Affliction is dots, dots, and dots. I can't really see a fair comparison to SPriests (I play a SPriest) - the handful of dots each is maybe as far as it goes, and dot management isn't anything completely unique anymore, either. Some people just have more of them to babysit then others. (Warrior/Feral cat/rogue bleeds come to mind immediately.) Affliction also is more self-sustaining whereas SPriests kind of share the wealth of healing.

Between them, they're all warlock to me, it's just what would you find more fun? How involved with the pet do you want to be? (And since Warlocks change pets on the fly way better then Hunters ever will... sad truth, since even a 5m CD on Call Stabled Pet still won't give a hunter the same flexibility.) Do you like to burn things, or do you like to splatter it up with a bunch fo annoying things and watch it die slow? (Well, slow being an operative word, I've seen stuff die fast to them given enough SP and all.)

If it dies by shadow and fire and demonic things, it's a warlock, no matter what class.

15+ Year Old Account

Unique and beautiful snowflakes usually get laughed at and crushed by the assembly line. If you're playing to enjoy the game, why do our opinions matter?

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Unique and beautiful snowflakes usually get laughed at and crushed by the assembly line. If you're playing to enjoy the game, why do our opinions matter?
    Because he's curious about how we perceive the game? What we feel about "classic" warlock. Perhaps he's writing background for his warlock, needs inspiration. There could be dozen other explanations.
    Since forums are to share thoughts and he asked for our opinion, this is why it matters
    Regards.

Deleted

Affliction and Demonology is pretty unique for leveling. Destro is similar to fire mage.

As for "True Warlock Spec", it comes down to what the persons definition of 'warlock' is.

Is a Warlock a being of superb and unstable destructive power that will not hesitate to burn your soul and destroy your family, friends and village without much more after thought then 'Heh'? In that case, Destruction.

Is a Warlock a being who takes great pleasure draining the strength and sucking the life force out of his or her victims to feed their own? Then it is Affliction.

Or is a warlock a being who controls powerful demon's that can destroy others at the warlock's command? Then Demonology is the way.

For me, well all three each show their purpose. So they all are Warlocks, in a way.

Affliction and Demonology are more the signature specs of the warlock class, with destruction being likened too much to a mage, though depending on how picky you are then affliction could be likened to a shadow priest.
    Personal preference mostly will determine which you play, but personally for levelling I would go with affliction, until felguard in demonology becomes an option at 50, from which it comes down to choice of which you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Oldschool Firestone build. It's the only way to retain credibility as a true Warlock.

Destro doesn't play anything like any Mage spec.
    Afflic has some similarities to Shadow.
    Demo is completely different than any Hunter spec.

If anything Shadow is trying to be more like Afflic in Wrath. Before Wrath Shadow was different, it was changed to be more similar to Afflic. They're still very much different... except maybe in BGs. Destro used to be a lot like a Shadow version of a Fire Mage, but that got changed entirely. They're closer to Elemental Shaman in play style, which still isn't that close.

Demo is the most 'unique' spec. Only in that it's a pet class with multiple dots to keep up and a single primary nuke and a unique execute. It's not exactly a dynamic spec compared to Afflic and Destro.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat
    A true Warlock, is an Affliction-warlock.

With that said, Demo/Destro are still warlocks, obviously, but when I think of Warlock, I (rightfully) think of Affliction.
    This

warlocks are mages who abbandoned the study of arcane and frost for a darker subject: shadow. They held to their studies of the chaotic element of fire.

Based on that info

we have this

destro- most mage-like not very warlocky.

demo- uses shadow and fire but considering the cast times they are high on the warlocky scale because of the demon mastery they have perfected. Shadow usage is split fairly evenly with fire usage. Felguard, demon form, and the previous demonic sacrifice are very realistic. Tapping into the most powerful demons, finding the demonic essence within, and being able to destro your demon and absorb their powers for benefit

Affliction- pure shadow, the advanced art, should make this very high on the list. Only reason they are not automatic winners is because demo has the "summons" flavor which imo is very warlocky they show their shadow finnese with soul siphon, unstable affliction, haunt and even show a little of demonic power in dark pact

Thnx for answers, seems like affli/destro is way to go to get that feeling to play a lock, not some copy of other class...and i didnt ask for fastest leveling spec or smth, only for playstyle which is most "warlockish"

SO i guess this spec would be best for what have in mind http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...Ehhh2Rn,,10747

Felguard and affli talents, with siphon life, looks a winner

I leveled rogue as combat - i really felt like im leveling fury warrior, so i said to myself i wont do same mistake again

and btw, since i didnt play in pre-tbc, what was warlock about back then?

demo, when i think warlock i think minions. when i think of something with bows, i dont think of a fucking dog following me around =D

i would say aff is the true lock spec...maor dots ya know?..that being said, you people who think locks are copy of SP need to get it straight...SP is a copy of the bc lock...

ps- dude who posted spec...i would go more aff for the "complex" warlock and less destro...you dont need to be that far in the destro tree if you want some of the leveling buffs from a pet (soul link) just my .02

http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc....00000000000000

this is the spec my alt lock has atm

its aff/demo, pretty close to yours, and a variation on the spec used by the 1st guy to hit 80.

i soloed pretty much all the group quests when leveling (current, being an alt, he's mostly used for farming/mining/doin dailys for cash)

as you've already figured out the main points are getting felgaurd and siphon life

it is a powerful spec and if if you ignore stuff like shadow mastery you can hit all the required talents well before even 75
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc....00000000000000

this is the spec my alt lock has atm

its aff/demo, pretty close to yours, and a variation on the spec used by the 1st guy to hit 80.

i soloed pretty much all the group quests when leveling (current, being an alt, he's mostly used for farming/mining/doin dailys for cash)

as you've already figured out the main points are getting felgaurd and siphon life

it is a powerful spec and if if you ignore stuff like shadow mastery you can hit all the required talents well before even 75
    Yep, thats nice one, looks like cookie cutter for 70-80 leveling