caster dps raid spot

hey. kinda new to the game and really new to raiding. i made a melee class as my first guy and liked it till i got to raiding on him or doing 5 man groups. never really felt right. the two ppl that live with me also play wow one plays a healer didn't like that and one a ele shman. so i found out i LOVE playing a caster dps. my question is... what dps class is never left out of a 25 man raid? i tried to look around and really didn't find anything other then.. in TBC boomkins were pretty much never used. now shadow priests are finding it harder to get into raids. even ele shamans from what i have read are having a hard time right now. if i have to sit out i don't want it to be because of my class. anyways stayed up waaaaaaaay to late playing hope someone can give me some info will reply back with more questions i am sure

Re: caster dps raid spot

A good caster DPS is bound to get a raid spot, meaning the player as good, not the class.

The hardest caster to get into raids at the moment is probably Shadow Priest since they are a bit behind on DPS, but aslong as you know your class and know tactics there shouldn't be an issue of what class you should play.

- Shadowpriest, if you learn to play it right, you can go in the top around equally geared people. Dps is slow to build up, but gets pretty high in long fights.
    - Mage, classic dps. Learn to play it well and you're guaranteed a spot. A lot of people suck at mageing, so play good and people will add you.
    - Lock, there always seem to be a lock or two in raids. I don't know much about the class. It's the only one I actually never played.
    - Boomkin, nice to have still.

Dunno bout shammys... It's not like I WANT an elemental shammy in the raid, any sham will do.

In general, get to know you class and remember that you don't suck if you are no. 15 on the chart and the raid are all geared 2-3 item lvls above you.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dunemaul&n=misazadia

I dont know in other servers but on mine, mages are overpopulated, if you pick up evertyhing you find on LFG, you will end with like 6 or 7 mages for a 25 man and 0 of other classes. Yeah, sure your guild migth need good mages, but there will be more than from other classes, you will have more competence to be be your guild´s mage. Warlocks are less frequent, but still abundant and at least bring CoE, Healthstones, 5% crit and a int and spirit buff if needed, while a mage brings only the not-so-useful intelect and the 5% crit wich is better applied by a lock. If i wanted a caster dps good for raiding, i would go for shaman (they are almost extint, i always have it hard finding ONE for my 25 mans raids) or druid (they are more abundant than shamans, but there arent enough and they bring 5% crit aura, an unique buff, and you can always be tank, melee dps or healer if you get tired or have trouble finding a raid spot as a caster dps).

Mages and Warlocks are the two Pure DPS caster classes, so they perform better than the other casters dps-wise atm and will continue to do so, therefore I'd say go for one of those.

I got a lock and a mage and I can say lock is more interesting, a bit hard and takes a bit more skills than a mage regardless of spec (well maybe demo is equivalent but affi certainly not). Generally pure classes doesn't have so much trouble getting into raids but elemental shamans/moonkins are also a bit rare as I can also see (at least it is in EU where I see in 3 different realms) but still guilds generally doesn't want more than 1-2 of them which is not a case for locks or mages.

P.S: b4l2pfacerollpaladin, I want to say I am not saying mage is an easy class and everyone can handle it, it is relatively easier than a warlock imo!

I play a mage, and I'm pretty much guaranteed a spot in any raid, one because I pull 6-7k dps and 2, because people like int buffs, food, and FM (our guild is a bit mage-deprived). Plus it's a fun class to play. I would recommend rolling a mage.

i can pull 6-7k dps as moonkin and my spot isnt garanteed

edit ur mage pull between 9k-12k

Mages are fun, and for the moment the top caster dps class. Having said that it is much easier to 1)level a lock 2)find a group as a lock 3)solo elites as a lock 4)kill a mage in pvp as a lock. My lock has been getting a bit of love for me, not saying that I have switched mains or anything, but it is so blessedly easy to do most anything other than pvp on my lock. I play a Demo lock which is not the highest personal dps, but the raid contribution with the buffs my pet apply more than make up for that in a raid. If you want make your offspec Destro and you have highest rdps spec and highest personal dps offspec.
    Again mages are fun and slightly higher dps, but absolutely horrible to level compared to a lock, and are represented in far higher numbers so a lock gets a spot much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedrayne
    Mages are fun, and for the moment the top caster dps class. Having said that it is much easier to 1)level a lock 2)find a group as a lock 3)solo elites as a lock 4)kill a mage in pvp as a lock. My lock has been getting a bit of love for me, not saying that I have switched mains or anything, but it is so blessedly easy to do most anything other than pvp on my lock. I play a Demo lock which is not the highest personal dps, but the raid contribution with the buffs my pet apply more than make up for that in a raid. If you want make your offspec Destro and you have highest rdps spec and highest personal dps offspec.
    Again mages are fun and slightly higher dps, but absolutely horrible to level compared to a lock, and are represented in far higher numbers so a lock gets a spot much easier.
    I'm currently levelling a mage and although locks kill us for fun in pvp I have to disagree with the easier to level and finding a group. I always find a group without a problem as a mage (free food and portals help with that one lol) and having levelled from 60 as arcane I kill things extremely quickly. Then again, I personally find locks boring to play. However that's just my personal opinion and other people will of course find mages boring to play.

shockadin

4 srs
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft
    shockadin
    4 srs
    l2p noob

everyone knows avengers shield dps is op

(Seriously - if you want caster dps, your options are boomkin, ele shaman, mage, warlock, spriest. Of those, mage/warlock have more dps but tend to be more common, ele shaman has best raid buffs but is a bit behind on dps and like it or not, bloodlust can get you into groups.)
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan

mage, mage is like warlock just better (way way better)
    Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    I found myself in a magical setup the other week and my damage dropped through the floor like a 90 year olds tits

Quote Originally Posted by misazadia
    - Shadowpriest, if you learn to play it right, you can go in the top around equally geared people. Dps is slow to build up, but gets pretty high in long fights.
    the only way a wellplayed shadowpriest is going to the top among equally geared people is if the others are poorly played.

a mage or warlock is your best bet for a solid caster dps spot, but druids and shamans are adored for their universal utility. heroism/bloodlust will win a shaman a spot in most 10mans, even if they arent resto, and many guilds/pugs are willing to 'carry' a boomkin that doesnt stand in fire for their utility and ... good graces for when they build up their offspec(s)

I know druids aren't pure caster dps, and we'll never TOP the dps meters, but geeeeez druids are so fun :] I was dual tank/heals for a long time, and am now dual tank/caster, and am enjoying it so much. I never get tired of my druid! And if it turns out you don't absolutely adore caster dps after all, can easily respec for some other role!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Robindonaf
    I play a mage, and I'm pretty much guaranteed a spot in any raid, one because I pull 6-7k dps and 2, because people like int buffs, food, and FM (our guild is a bit mage-deprived). Plus it's a fun class to play. I would recommend rolling a mage.
    I have played mage, warlock and ele shaman and have to say, mages are the least wanted.

They do great DPS, sure but average warlock does better and ele shaman just brings so much more group buffs. I'm not saying mages are bad, it's just that theres too many of them compared to the rest.