Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Prot Seal of Command?

So I couldn't really find a topic on this already and I'm just now getting around to trying Prot pallys again since BC. Is SoC worth it for trash?

And while I have your prot paladin attentions, is there some kind of special priority or rotation now for which abilities should be used? I remember reading about a 96969 thing a while back but I don't know if that's old or not.

Thanks!

Re: Prot Seal of Command?

since you didn't say "inb4trashisseriousbusiness", no.

969696 is still the best rotation.

969 is still the standard for prot pallys.

Seal of Command can be useful for trash tanking. Adding the SoComm cleave damage to Hammer of the Righteous and you have some really nasty AoE threat and DPS. It's great for blowing up heroics with a decently geared group because you aren't getting but 1 or 2 stacks of Vengeance on your primary target anyways.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account

No it is not useful for raid trash, since the extra AE from SoC only procs from white swings, whereas HotR will proc SoV on all targets.

A lot of pvp Prots, "prot ret" as they are called, use seal of command solely for mana return with the glyph. In pvp it is near impossible to keep divine plea up 100%, espeially against a caster and our abilities in general are expensive.

Don't see it used much in pve and I really don't when tanking, but I certainly see the potential for it if your already specced into it for pvp.

And yes, the "69" (immature giggle) rotation is still the best one. All you do is alternate your 9 sec cooldown abilities with your 6 secons ones.

Ok cool, thanks for the replies! Even though the SoC opinion/facts seemed to be mixed up. Ill just go ahead and try it out I guess, probably the best way to judge it. I can see how HotR proccing SoV could be better though... Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS
    Ok cool, thanks for the replies! Even though the SoC opinion/facts seemed to be mixed up.
    Don't think they are mixed up:
    SoC for extremely short aoe fights (mainly overgeared heroics), where you can't stack SoV.
    SoC for PVP. (with glyph)
    SoV everywhere else.
    Is what was posted in here.

To be honest, I would not grab SoC for PVE. It can help here or there, but unless the LK Trash turns out to be a ton of AOE guys with large amounts of HP, it would not be worth it <_<.. Heroic threat on Trash really is not the biggest of issues, and if that is the only reason you use a talent point on it... well that hurts you IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    No it is not useful for raid trash, since the extra AE from SoC only procs from white swings, whereas HotR will proc SoV on all targets.
    SoV puts Holy Vengeance on all targets that it hits, but that is a weakness of SoV too. You can only apply this DoT via white swings and Hammer of the Righteous. Hammer has a 6 second CD. Therefore, it will take no less than 24 seconds to get a 5 stack on all of your targets. Even then, the 5-stack DoT doesn't tick for much as prot.

With Seal of Command, the cleave happens about every 1.4 seconds or less because of raid haste buffs. In addition to the SoComm cleave, you still have Hammer of the Righteous hitting 3-4 targets. For overall AoE TPS, Seal of Command is vastly superior.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Deleted

It isnt worththe wasted talent point, Hammer spreads SoV to 4 targets anyway.

I use it in heroics and it is awesome when you run everything with very trigger happy ele shamans (CHAIN LIGHTNING TIMES FOUR BAM) and such. SoV pays off a lot better in the long run, but as someone already said, you don't even get to two stacks on some mobs, and it's a really weak dot against quite a bit of damage at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream
    It isnt worththe wasted talent point, Hammer spreads SoV to 4 targets anyway.
    It only spreads to 4 targets if you wasted the glyph slot. Arguing a wasted talent point vs a wasted glyph slot is very intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Don't think they are mixed up:
    SoC for extremely short aoe fights (mainly overgeared heroics), where you can't stack SoV.
    SoC for PVP. (with glyph)
    SoV everywhere else.
    Is what was posted in here.
    How is that not mixed answers? Some saying yes and some saying no. Anyways, just trying to get a feel for it before i commit, I mean if it isn't good I can just respec but I wanted to know what the main opinion was. From all the answers I read they seemed yes and no with a twist of here and there. I don't seem to have threat issues now, at 77, but I know that doesn't mean much, I'm not grouped with high DPS.
    Again, thanks for the replies, you all have helped a lot.

15+ Year Old Account

How is that not mixed answers? Some saying yes and some saying no. Anyways, just trying to get a feel for it before i commit, I mean if it isn't good I can just respec but I wanted to know what the main opinion was. From all the answers I read they seemed yes and no with a twist of here and there. I don't seem to have threat issues now, at 77, but I know that doesn't mean much, I'm not grouped with high DPS.
    There will most likely never be a definite "Only keep Seal X on your hot barbecause the others are worthless" answer.

Use different seals for different things.

How is that not mixed answers? Some saying yes and some saying no. Anyways, just trying to get a feel for it before i commit, I mean if it isnt good I can just respec but I wanted to know what the main opinion was. From all the answers I read they seemed yes and no with a twist of here and there. I dont seem to have threat issues now, at 77, but I know that doesnt mean much, Im not grouped with high DPS.
    To put it simply, Seal of Command for when you are pulling a bunch of trash (if you get it), and SoV for Bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Deleted

Wasted slot?
    I use Glyph of vengance, glyph of plea and glyph of hammer.

Wasted? no.

I would tell you that it depends on what you are tanking. If you are blasting through a few heroics, go with Seal of Command. If you are doing Naxx, for example, you would probably want Vengeance. Vengeance will provide more single target threat than Command. For the larger mobs in Naxx/Ulduar/fill-in-the-blank, you will want the increased threat.

Command certainly isn't necessary. It can be a lot of fun and a timesaver in heroics. It's all a matter of preference.

Wasted slot?
    I use Glyph of vengance, glyph of plea and glyph of hammer.

Wasted? no.
    I'll disagree. Unless you are tanking in full Ulduar/Naxx gear, you are wasting a slot or two right now.

Deleted

Explain how that is Wasted?...

3% less damage.. 10 Free expertese - 4 targets for aoe hammer..

There are no good alternivites to those at all.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I'll disagree. Unless you are tanking in full Ulduar/Naxx gear, you are wasting a slot or two right now.
    [/quote]
    Explain how that is Wasted?...

3% less damage.. 10 Free expertese - 4 targets for aoe hammer..

There are no good alternivites to those at all.
    Vengeance for Salvation.
    Hammer for either RD, Judgement, or AS.

Deleted

RD never misses - Therefor wasted slot.
    Gimp my pulling with AS glyph, no thanks.
    Judgement one - about 50 extra per judgment - pass.
    As for salvation - no, even when im pulling 8k- 9k TPS there always some warlock pulling 7999+ tps.. pass on all those uesless alternatives thanks.