Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New idea for shadow priests in pvp.

Well i was thinking of how we can help shadow priests in pvp without an overpowered gimick.

I think shadow priests right now need escapability and i have a idea on how to give it to us with almost zero effort on the devs part.

The troll priest racial back in bc was called "shadowguard" you surrounded yourself with a shadow shield that when hit would trigger damage it had 3 charges on it.

I think blizz should take that and reinvent it into a new shadowguard. instead of causing damage the new shield would have 3 charges on it just like the old shadowguard and a 20 second cooldown. Everytime you are struck in mele combat shadow guard stuns the target for 3 seconds. up to 3 times and cannot happen more than once per second.

it would be dispellable both off the priest and the stun target.

hell blizz could even use the old blackout animation for the stun.. that way its not the rng stun that blizz hates so much.. but a preventable and regular stun that they like.. so i think that would be perfect.

this would be a small step forward and should help shadow priests quite a bit.

Re: New idea for shadow priests in pvp.

A stun that stuns for a total of 9seconds out of every 20? Sounds good

No.

A spell that stun melee half of the time.
    You called that not overpowered?

Have Imp Fade prevent new snares form being applied for 4 seconds after casting Fade, and have Dispersion restore HP like it did in beta.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Exorte
    A spell that stun melee half of the time.
    You called that not overpowered?
    It will be strong if the mele is retarded like this question. Like i said there are many ways to counter it.

For example a pet could be used to eat stacks of it.. you could have a healer spamming dispel on your while your attacking.. or you could have a healer simply dispel it so that it is rendered useless for 20 seconds..

yes if a retard "zerg" style mindset is employed then the mele will have a hard time actually zerging the shadow priest down.. and that is exactly what we need.

But if you know anything about shadow priest pvp currently you know that without a rogue or mage for decent peels a shadow priest is pretty much useless.

This change would definatly be strong and help shadow priests.. but think of all the comps that could easily counter this.. it would really only hurt the retarded dual mele zerg teams.

keep in mind the spell will cost mana aswell.. shadow priests are not exactly infinite mana in arena.

Lol its like every responce in here is from a warror that just wants to zerg a priest down in a quarter second. this ability is designed to prevent that because i dont know if you noticed shadow priests are not doing to well right now.

Yes if you dont mitigate the charges with the near unlimited ways to mitigate them.. you will see 9 seconds of stun over the life of the ability.

So in short.. is my idea overpowered?

If your an idiot yes its overpowered.
    If you have a brain and use it in pvp. Then its balanced.

Not overpowered at all.Don't forget that there are many stun reduction talents so 3secs are around 2 or so.

and diminishing returns, it'll just be as annoying as a warrior charging
    "How poor are they that have not patience"

Quote Originally Posted by Tahmu
    and diminishing returns, it'll just be as annoying as a warrior charging
    I like shadowguard!

like the idea of shadow priests having a passive defencive talent.

-Make it only usable in shadowform.
    -Make it once every 15 seconds lasting 3 seconds.
    -Make the spell itself have 3 charges and a shared cooldown with fear ward. and reduce the CD on fearward and the stun shields to 2 minutes, glyph it to 1.5 minutes and adding additional stacks of the armor.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol
    like the idea of shadow priests having a passive defencive talent.
    Shadow priests already do have a passive defensive talent. Its called http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=48066 and can even be used as a heal while in shadow form if you have the glyph. Shadow priests in PvP (outside of arenas) actually don't have it all that bad if played well. The only reason to complain about them is because they don't stand up to discipline as a spec. Then again, discipline is almost overpowered from a pvp stand point.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    Shadow priests already do have a passive defensive talent. Its called http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=48066 and can even be used as a heal while in shadow form if you have the glyph. Shadow priests in PvP (outside of arenas) actually don't have it all that bad if played well. The only reason to complain about them is because they don't stand up to discipline as a spec. Then again, discipline is almost overpowered from a pvp stand point.

Since when did a cast become a passive?

15+ Year Old Account

Undead already had this (kinda) before priest racials got down the drain, and blackout was removed.

Blackout + Touch of Weakness (which was like shadowguard but without the charges). Always was hilarious when a rogue would open with a cheap shot on you only to be stunned himself for 3 seconds because of blackout procing from the touch of weakness damage.

But I concur, we really need some way to stun melee.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Yup i think this idea is a keeper. I did a bit more thinking last night to try to refine the idea. here is my general concept.
    ==========
    Shadowguard: Instant cast, 3 charges, 20 second cooldown. lasts 3 min
    The user is surrounded by shadow, when struck in mele combat stuns the attacker for 3 seconds, uses 1 charge of shadow guard. Cannot happen more than once a second.
    ==========

Honestly i think this spell being attached to a talent deep enough into shadow that other priest specs cannot get it would be a great help.

Not only would it be insanely helpful to a shadow priest for survival purposes. but it would give much needed dot setup time. Both of these things we currently have a ton of issues with. Also it would do alot to prevent the "train the shadow priest" mentality that all teams have these days.

Now not only would this spell be completly balanced because of the insane ways to mitigate/prevent/diminishing returns of the spell. but it would also be another spell for us to cast. thus strategy comes into play huge.

For example this spell would be realativly weak against rogue due to crippling poison being such an effective snare.. the stun would not last long enough to prevent them from snaring and focusing us again.. however you couple a stun with a fade and all of the sudden you have range.. of course the priest has to time that with some skill.

I think the best part about this whole idea is that everything to make this ability reality is already in the game. You can use the old shadow guard animation and the old blackout animation when shadowguard procs. BLAMMO DONE.. In fact i bet if blizzard caught wind of this quickly we could see it in 3.3.

Im all for this becoming a new ability. Please help me by posting this on the wow suggestion forums and talking to gms any way you can..

Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    Passive means = Always up

Also no sane shadow priest will spec for the heal on shield, that's just retarded to even mention...

I like this idea a lot.

So u got dispell, ms, shieldwall, heals and disarm, now u wana stun?

Quote Originally Posted by Kootz
    Yup i think this idea is a keeper. I did a bit more thinking last night to try to refine the idea. here is my general concept.
    ==========
    Shadowguard: Instant cast, 3 charges, 20 second cooldown. lasts 3 min
    The user is surrounded by shadow, when struck in mele combat stuns the attacker for 3 seconds, uses 1 charge of shadow guard. Cannot happen more than once a second.
    ==========
    Please stop trolling.

If you think I'm joking then you might want to consider reading what you just wrote....

An ability that stuns and that has a 3 minute duration with a 20 second cooldown, AND 3 charges each stunning for 3 seconds is retardedly op. If you don't see why or how then you need to seek some serious help.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

This would be terrible. I'm glad that none of you are in charge of making any important decisions.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwane
    So u got dispell, ms, shieldwall, heals and disarm, now u wana stun?

we're talking about SHADOW now, and i have never played a shadowpriest. but they drop too easy in arena. giving them a stun to allow them to return damage at the start is nessesary.

MS is only 20% and disspellable. vs warrior that can do 75%.
    Shieldwall? im assuming u mean pain supression which is disc, we're talking shadow.
    Healing as shadow means u cant deal alot of damage, in addition you take alot more damage.
    Disarm, ok ill give u that one.